Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2012, 08:27 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
ISC 330 - full Banks installation

The engine runs pretty well however the turbo pressure is around 25 inchs and the "turbine temp" is running high @ 900-1000 deg. most of the time. A large fleet maint. operation has checked "all they know to do". No leaks in the exh. manifold/hoses or intercooler. The wastegate is operating properly.
Recent education indicates that the air/turbo side is purely a "mechanical system" and fuel is the only thing the Banks computer varies. Banks advises that the hotter than normal turbo temps would indicate the "fuel computer" is outputting the proper fuel amount called for but there is not enough air to maintain proper temps.
I know that aviation engines (nonturbo charged) will run cooler with to much fuel but not sure about diesel turbocharged???
Any thoughts as I now need to look for another maint. facility....or do it myself.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2012, 03:39 PM   #2

Hal I don't have a service place to send you but I looked into the banks kit for my '99 ISC350. When I talked to Allison they warned me that the transmission I have in my coach would not take the torque of the Banks kit. I didn't do it for that reason and I just hope you have a different transmission, one that can handle the added torque. My upgrade would have added 100hp and moved the torque to 1050 from 1350. Wish you well.....
Burfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:30 PM   #3

I use to watch Turbo's on big diesel generators glow they ran so hot. Didn't hurt them.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
With Banks it doesn't hit the high until 1,300. If it hits that let off the pedal.
Your 900-1000 is normal when using 25 PSI of turbo.

Banks recommends against using the Allison 4 or 5 speed with their Turbo kit.
OK with the 6 speed like came on my 99 ISB.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:33 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Thanks for the replies folks...
Burfman, The transmission is a newer 6 speed so added torque is no problem.

Triker, Banks says that 25 psi is the non-turbo max psi. With their full installation I should get 35ish inches. Unfortunately 25 is all I can get.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:26 PM   #6

OK but when I called Banks they said no problem with the trans...It was after I called the Allison people and spoke with one of their engineers and gave him my model number he confirtmed that my trans would not hold up....It had to do with the size of the input shaft and splines that would not take the topurque.....I would just hate to see you launch your tranny once you get your turbo boost up to the 35" you are trying to achieve. You may just want to contact Allison to be safe...BTW my tranny is the 6 speed as well.....
Old 07-14-2012, 11:45 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Turbo boost is measured in pounds not inches.
The ISC 350 torque does not go to 1350 with the Banks kit, it goes to 1200.
Here's the chart for the ISC 330

Here's the chart for the ISC 350

The ISC 330 does not get near the HP and torque uprate that the 350 does, no idea why. Must be in the OEM setup of the Cummins that the Banks can't change.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:35 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
Thanks for the replies folks...
Burfman, The transmission is a newer 6 speed so added torque is no problem.
Triker, Banks says that 25 psi is the non-turbo max psi. With their full installation I should get 35ish inches. Unfortunately 25 is all I can get.
Banks on my ISB does get around 33 PSI.
For yours maybe you need to check or have tested the CAC for leaks.
And also the hose that feeds the air compressor for possible leaks.
Those can cut down the pressure from the turbo.

The Allison 6 speed 3000 MH is rated for up to 400 HP & 1250 torque.
The 6 speed 1000 to 2550 Models 340 HP & 550 torque.
The 4000 650 HP & 1950 torque
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:12 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Turbo boost is measured in pounds not inches.
It's my 50+ year aviation background showing (inches of mercury)
Old 07-15-2012, 01:08 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
How old is the air filter? I'd make sure it's like new. Then I'd check all hoses and connections from the turbo through the CAC all the way to the intake manifold on the engine. I'd check the CAC for cracks and leaks. If all that is OK, I guess then I'd have the turbo itself inspected.

It sounds to me like you are building heat because you are getting the fuel, but you are a little short on air.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #11

Thanks Mr. D for setting the record straight....I looked into the Banks about 5 or 6 yrs ago and was going from memory....What's the first to go as we get old???...Anyway I do remember the conversation from the Allison rep and he said don't do it due to the input shaft size. When I get my MoHo back from Cummins I'll see what model tranny I have and post it.....I just didn't want to see Hal scatter his tranny if in fact what Allison said was true....This is what is good about this forum...a miss post is easiely corrected by those that have the facts...
Old 07-16-2012, 05:27 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The Banks Kit was installed well over 50,000 miles ago so worry about the transmission is needless. The air filter is new and per original post, no leaks or restrictions can be found in the entire "air system". Banks agrees that the "heat problem" has to do with to much diesel and not enough air and lest we think it might be the fuel side of the equation acting up, Banks says it sounds as though the fuel computer is doing what it should.
There was some discussion with Banks about an air line from the engine compressor to the "engine air" system that might cause problems if leaking. But you would think that a leak would show up on the front/rear air guages?
Old 07-16-2012, 08:11 AM   #13

I just had an issue with that air line. It runs from the CA manifold to the inlet of the air compressor. It is connected at each end by a small hose about 3/4 ID by 3" long. It is designed to supply the air compressor with clean filtered air. Mine popped off at the air compressor inlet and when it did the coach lost power and had black smoke coming out of the pipe. The air compressor continued to supply the system with plenty of compressed air but what made me notice something was wrong was the loss of power. It is a real bear to get to so I just plugged the upper hose @ the CA manifold with a wine cork and took it to Cummins. Hope this helped....