Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2019, 10:20 AM   #1

Isc 380

Looking to buy a 2012 40 Tiffin Patheon with a ISC 380.

Has anybody had any HP problems with this engine?
Fritzrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2019, 10:29 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I had an '02 Dutch Star with the ISC 350. It was OK and even better with the Banks kit (435 hp and 1200 ft lbs).
Never any real power problems with the stock 350 though. Just the old hot rodder in me wanted more.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:33 AM   #3

What is the Banks KIt
Fritzrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 01:24 PM   #4

Banks is a after market performance company that has many HP up grades for diesel motor homes. We had one of their up grades on our 1st London Aire in 97 and made a big difference. They don't have kits for all years and different engines but if they have a up grade it will make a difference.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:40 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
The ISC is a great engine for medium weight coaches. I would want to know the weight of a 2012 Tiffin Phaeton? Many coach manufacturers are using smaller engines in heavy coaches to save money.
If the Cummins ISL was available, it may be a better choice.
Much of this depends on where you travel and if you plan on towing. Traveling the mountains out west in summer heat towing a car is tough without enough torque.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:47 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
We own a 2013 Phaeton 40qbh w/the ISC and its been great. It has enough power, and the fuel economy has been better than our last coach w/a CAT C7. There is an emission recall on some coaches, it involves replacing the SCR, not too big of a deal, took Cummins service about 1.5 hrs to replace it. Starting in 2014 the ISC was discontinued so the ISL was installed but on the Phaeton the HP and Torque remained the same at 380 HP 1050 Torque.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:20 PM   #7

The Cummins ISL is the same block as the ISC with a longer stroke. The ISC was discontinued for OTR use because the 6.7 output is now at the same HP as the normal (350HP) range of the ISC, and the ISL lowest HP was at the top of the ISC HP range.

The 370/380 HP ISC is the most powerful ISC Cummins built for OTR use. IMO you will be satisfied with this engine.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 01:21 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzrh View Post
Looking to buy a 2012 40 Tiffin Patheon with a ISC 380.

Has anybody had any HP problems with this engine?

I’ve got the ISC 360 in my 43 ft 2010. I’ve put over 30k miles on it towing a Ford Edge. Been through Eisenhower tunnel 3 times with it. It won’t go 65 mph up that hill, but I’m not in a race to get anywhere. I’ve averaged about 7 mpg over those 30k miles. I’ve thought about more HP, but what we have gets us where we want to go.
Old 11-18-2019, 04:13 PM   #9

ISC Is One Of Cummins Best Made Engines... EVER!!!

I think you not find a more "proven" diesel engine, in an RV, than the ISC series.

Great top end, great bottom end, and I'm learning it's under-powered; which is great for longevity and reliability.

I base this on the fact the ISL-400 is essentially the same engine, in every way, other than the crank and connecting rod/pins. And FYI, I'm reading some ISL owners are being faced with a complete engine replacement in some ISL due to these wrist pins failing in the ISL.

So in my opinion I would by an ISC over an ISL and add this little jewel (power module) I just found this summer:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/cumm...-a-466584.html

I'm guessing you too can add this Ag-Diesel power module to your engine too, but you should call Ag-Diesel to get the right part for your engine. ($700 - $800 range... and easy to install yourself!)

Note: Weight/HP is a ratio you should consider when determining how much HP you need (minimum) vs. what you would like to have.

My 40' Itasca "Horizon" is 32,000 lbs fully loaded coach (+10,000 lbs for the tow car) and I pull a 4,500 lb Saturn Aura.

I found 350HP was under-powered for my weight/HP ratio needs; however, after I added the Ag-Diesel Power Module I know have 20% more HP and 14% more torque. And this is the right ratio for me! I also like driving my RV more with this added torque/HP. So to me, this $700 upgrade is someting I can recommend to others!

Consequently, I created the above thread to help other owners know there is an "affordable" alternative to a "Banks Conversion" ...that produces the same HP increases, at a fraction of the price and time it takes to install.

When you read this thread, everyone says you would also budget for an EGT and I would agree with that. But like all RV upgrades their will be priorities as to what you spend your money on first!

OTHER UPGRADES:

My advice is that your first upgrade to your engine should be an electric FASS "TS" Fuel Pump upgrade, to by-pass your Cummins Lift Pump; which you can read more about here:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/cumm...mp-458337.html

COACH CHOICE:

I am a huge fan of 2004-2009 Winnebago "Horizon" (40') models; and I personally don't think there is a better coach on the road in the sub $90,000 range.

And at one time, I was thinking about upgrading to another model, so I went to 3 dealers in Salt Lake City (a popular area for RV retailers) and I asked them to show me a "better RV" in the sub $150,000 range... preferably sub $125,000 range... and the could not!

Of course, they did not have a Tiffin or Newmar or newer Itasca "Horizon" on the lot either. So I keep driving my older 2004 "Horizon." (Note: I'm sure there are other beautifully made RVs other than these. So this is not a "dig" on other coach manufactures, because I can only comment on my limited experiences.)

Here are the specs on this Tiffin coach you are asking about for other people to see what you are considering:

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2012-...40-qbh-tr11014

I love the 4 slideouts!

That said, I don't think have to worry about the ISC engine if the owner previously changed the oil often? I would, however, start asking Tiffin owners if they have had any problems with their slideout or if there are any roof related problems. (I would not know!)

...And if your RV does not have a residential refrigerator; NP! Gut that LP frig the very first time it needs service, and put a new residential refrigerator in yourself! ...And 400W+ on your roof. (If you find yourself boondocking for a weekend here and there.)

Good luck closing your deal! It sounds like you knew what you are looking for?
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote