Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2015, 06:29 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
ISC 8.3L Lift Pump

Missed a bullet!
Started the MH for warm-up and then did a last minute walk-around before leaving for a week-end rally. Noted a slow drip from the engine area. It was diesel and appeared to come from the right side of the engine above the starter (blocking view). Cummins Engine manual indicated the lift pump was in that area. To troubleshoot, we dried the area and turned the key to on and could hear the lift pump operate and shut off after the normal 30 seconds. Everything was wet again! Called the maintenance folks... The mechanic was successful in viewing and confirming the lift pump leak. Figuring a gasket leak we decided to remove the pump and install new gasket(s). Only 3 bolts so should be easy. From under the MH I hear "you're not going to believe this!"... One bolt took 8 full turns to TIGHTEN. The others took 3 & 4 turns respectively. NO LEAKS.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2015, 06:35 AM   #2

You were lucky. My lift pump failed while we were in Destruction Bay, Yukon Territory. Had to have the pump flown into White Horse, and be towed the 180mi. to Inland Kenworth in White Horse. To say the least it's a story we'll be talking about for some time to come.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 10:32 AM   #3

Good time to buy a Lotto Ticket too! Glad that worked out so easy for you.

Being and 04, do you know if your ISC is the CAPS or Common Rail? If CAPS, these do get pricey if they fail. As you know, the Lift Pump just runs that short period of time until the engine starts and then the CAPS takes over, pulling the fuel into the pumps and pressurizing them out to the individual injectors. It is that fuel flowing thru the pump that both cools and lubricates the this very expensive CAPS...

As we were hoping to add a bit more power to our ISL370(400 flashed) CAPS era engine, I elected to also replace our Lift Pump. (Had some problems on the ECM reprogramming, and due to time, could not remain longer as the company was trying to sort things out. Time differences between Eastern Canada, and then also to Germany, made each cycle of programming about a two day turn around. Still thinking I'll go back to the shop, and let them take the time they need to get things reprogrammed, sometime in 2016.)

I elected to bypass the Lift Pump, and went with the FASS pump, not the full two filter system, just the electric fuel pump. This keeps a positive fuel pressure feeding the CAPS at all times. Would have covered potential higher demands from the remapping/programming of the ECM, and I knew owners that were on their third Lift Pump, though to be fair, usually the Pre ULSD Lift Pumps replaced with a newer unit and gasket, took care of things.

If your Lift Pump does go out, worth considering going the bypass route.

Smooth sailing for you, and don't forget to thru a party with your Lotto winnings!!!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:56 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
As mentioned, the ULSD is the problem. I tightened my bolts to keep from being stranded, worked for the 1500 mile trip home. Tightening the bolts my solve the upper end problem, the pump is also prone to developing leaks from the electrical connection area. You now have the option to replace at your leisure, which is what I did.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 12:53 PM   #5
Community Moderator

two years ago, my lift pump leaked. called a diesel shop, they quoted $500 including a new support assembly as they told me the gasket was no longer made. well, i did find the gasket online for $6. when it arrived, i pulled up the bed to change the gasket, and noticed the 3 bolts being loose. tightened them up, no leak any more.

last month, i noticed the drips again. repeated the process, all was good again. just keep an eye on it. enjoy the trails.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote