Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2019, 02:49 PM   #1

ISC Cracked Exhaust Manifold?

I engaged my exhaust brake on my drive home right after buying a coach with a 2003 ISC 350 red top motor. The person following behind me heard a continuous bad scraping sound so I turned it off.

Now, I think I have a cracked exhaust manifold unless someone else says I am looking at this picture wrong. I can't imagine I missed this when I looked at the coach before buying it. Maybe the back pressure from the exhaust brake broke an already weak manifold?

I live near a Cummins service center but I've heard they are very expensive compared to independent truck shops. Any advice on whether to go to Cummins or go elsewhere for this type of job?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1168.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	262.8 KB
ID:	253970
ASU777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2019, 03:06 PM   #2

Ours was 650 plus install. Canadian currency. It did cause other fault indications as well. Seems to me it was low boost or something.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:29 PM   #3

Yes it looks cracked. Many are not aware but over time the exhaust can break from shrinkage. My 5.9 didn't break but the bolts broke from that issue. We hadn't even realized that it had shrunk till after we resurfaced it to correct warpage and went to bolt it back on. That is when we saw it was nearly a 1/4" short. It think it is mostly a Cummins problem because the manifold is longer than for a v8 engine.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:28 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I had a cracked exhaust manifold on my 2002 Windsor, this happen in 2015. Looks like it was in the same place, at the time I did some research and found a number of posts on this.
I changed mine myself. The manifold was about $600. It was not a bad job, would have been nice to have a helper. My guess is a good mechanic could do it in ~4 hours assuming no broke studs etc.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 01:19 PM   #5

I just got a quote from my local Cummins service center.

They are saying 14 hours for the job including changing both belts.

I have a side radiator and access is not that bad IMHO.

Their bottom line: $4,000 estimate. $900 in parts. $1,876 labor. $420 in miscellaneous fees and $250 in discretionary fees. Plus tax.

$259 diagnostics fee that was required to get the estimate and that included them telling me they can't fix anything else on my list of problems (air leak, ABS fault, alignment, etc...)

I guess this means they don't want to do the job, right?
Old 08-06-2019, 02:18 PM   #6

Manifold

Sure sounds like they don't want you work.Maybe talk to a few local truck drivers in your area.Ask them who they use.How are their feelings about a shop.
I was and owner operator for 30 years most work I did myself but you knew all the gossip where to go or stay away from.

I know of one shop the USPS uses in my area I would not let them change oil in a lawn mower.We had repeat problems to fix easy tasks.One truck was held for 6 months getting a Door !!!!
retiredusps6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 02:28 PM   #7

Will do. I don't think this job is very hard unless bolts start to break. I don't have a good picture of my engine compartment but I don't recall much being in the way other than the turbo.

The guy that normally does estimates at Cummins is out today and I will try him tomorrow. I am hoping they made a mistake. Otherwise, I will do this myself or possibly find a mobile mechanic to help me. I am having a hard time finding reputable local truck repair places that will work on motorhomes.
Old 08-06-2019, 03:13 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
My independent shop did my pusher ISC for around $1600 a few years ago. I avoid Cummins and their 155 labor rate. Independent is $85/hr.
Jag73e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 10:12 PM   #9

If you're some what handy, this is not a difficult job as long as you have good access to your motor.
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 10:29 PM   #10

Did my ISC a couple of years ago, genuine cummins manifold [made in China] and gaskets and bolts were about $850. Did have a small oxy/acy torch to heat up bolts. If you are not handy, probably better to take it to a shop.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:53 PM   #11

The ISC exhaust manifold is prone to breaking due to the weight of the turbo and associated piping, with nothing else to help support the weight.

Ihad mine replaced with the "improved" design last year. I had removed the entire bed frame, covered the floors with carpet protector, and removed anything that might hinder their work. The shop owner said that saved me about 3-4 hrs labor @ $135/hr.

My total bill was $3,000. The mechanic had to nearly stand on his head to reach the out of sight bottom bolts, two of which broke despite his efforts, and my soaking them with PB Blaster once a day for a week prior. Two of the turbo bolts also broke.

The shop was very thorough, they tested the turbo while it was on the bench, cleaned and lubed the exhaust brake while it was removed, and cleaned the engine after their work was completed.
The only evidence they had been inside working was grinding dust in the bedroom, from where they had been removing and replacing broken bolts.
The new exhaust manifold was noticeably heavier and thicker.
The shop was a HDT repair shop that also works on bus chassis.
This was my old manifold:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken ISC manifold.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	256037  
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:23 AM   #12

Not sure why you would expect an engine shop to repair ABS issues or perform a wheel alignment.
randomledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I had removed the entire bed frame, covered the floors with carpet protector, and removed anything that might hinder their work. The shop owner said that saved me about 3-4 hrs labor @ $135/hr.
I need to look more carefully at the access. Do you have a side radiator? My first thought was my manifold would come out from the rear access door without removing much except for the turbo. I could very well be wrong on this.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomledder View Post
Not sure why you would expect an engine shop to repair ABS issues or perform a wheel alignment.
I expected it because it wasn't designated as an engine only service center. It's not clear to me what Cummins Coach Care means. Apparently the definition varies from shop to shop.

The bigger issue is they couldn't tell me what they could or could not do when I checked in. It took a week to find out. Although the paperwork shows the mechanic had it all written up on the 2nd day.

Now I've got to pay a $260 diagnostics fee to get an estimate a manifold replacement that I already knew was cracked and a statement saying that nothing else on my list can be fixed by them.

Tags
exhaust