Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2016, 10:16 AM   #1

ISC Radiator Replacement

Just finished my yearly coach maintenance at Colton Truck Terminal in CA. They informed me that my ISC side radiator was deteriorating and should probably be replaced soon.

What's this going to cost?
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2016, 02:09 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What was the specific diagnosis?
Scaling? corrosion? internal or external degradation?

If you have aluminum end tanks you can get it recored, or you can buy a recored radiator and then turn yours in for a deposit refund. Cost of the part can be from 600 to 1500 depending on which radiator manufacturer you choose. Labor is a bit intensive as the side mount running gear has to be removed. Did they give you an estimate or quote? Are you going to replace it yourself?
nukerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 02:24 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I had my new side radiator made at CG&J Radiator (AKA Bryce-Thomas) for $2350. They also found that my CAC was leaking badly so they re-cored that for $1250.

They removed the old ones and installed the new ones for $600. Some new hoses, coolant, etc. the entire bill was less than $4500.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 04:12 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I would think you would have seen some copper/rust in the coolant samples. There have been coolant changes and samples right?

Sounds like you do all the right things...second opinion?
That place is pretty good I thnk. I did consider them for PDIs for some coaches near there..
Old 11-04-2016, 06:03 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
X2 on CG&J Radiator, I bought one from them for $2350 + shipping.

Unfortunately my problem was a catastrophic failure and I couldn't drive to them for install, I had Cummins perform the work and it took a big dent out of my pocket book ~$3100 even with me providing the radiator and having the CAC rebuilt. Cummins installed a new thermostat & waterpump since they were that far into it I thought this was worthwhile. They also did a complete engine flush and put in new antifreeze. Not sure what their hourly rate was since they didn't break down the bill. Luckily my insurance covered it less my $1K deductible but still painful.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 06:43 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
A radiator that old is most certainly deteriorating. Radiators don't last forever even under normal circumstances!

I did not have a catastrophic failure like jacwjames experienced. Mine was just getting old and the fins were soft and collapsing near the bottom.

Eventually a small hole formed in one of the coolant tubes towards the bottom of the radiator and all of my coolant leaked out while driving the Cassier Highway coming back from Alaska. When I pulled over for the night, that is when my Low Coolant light came on.

You can read about the entire incident in a thread called:

Breakdown in Northern British Columbia

I have included photos of my old radiator, both sides, and you can see the degradation near the bottom on photo #1 where a shop tech could push his fingers right through the fins.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Old Radiator-01.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	355.5 KB
ID:	143506   Click image for larger version

Name:	Old Radiator-02.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	324.4 KB
ID:	143507  

Old 11-05-2016, 06:42 PM   #7

When mine went out they got it from We're Here to Help You! - Radiator Supply House
It was shipped to Quinn Cat in California new t/stats, flush Cat EC-1 coolant, Total cost $5400 parts and labor. The install was a STEEL & COPPER-BRASS Bolt Together Radiator w/ updated rubber mountings.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:25 AM   #8

I pulled the radiator out of Jane, 93 Winnebago diesel pusher. It's a rear radiator assembly.

Gary at Bill's Radiator in Plano Texas quoted me $125.00 to rod it but suggested against it because there was obvious previous repairs limiting the efficiency of the radiator, blocked tubes, etc. He said the new core installed would be between $1,000.00 and $1,100.00. A week + later the bill was $1,286.00. That included a cleaning of the CAC unit. I asked if he had pressure tested it and he told me that they never leak so he just cleaned it, $50.00.

I still have to pull the oil cooler and clean and paint it. I still have to paint the CAC and the repaired radiator. I didn't even look at a new radiator because I wanted few as possible problems going back together. A lot of times same as isn't the same as same was.

My issue with the old radiator was it had a leak at the top neck from previous owner's having the radiator rodded and cleaned. I couldn't see putting back a potential problem of repaired core because they are such a pita to r & r.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:57 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wroughtnharv View Post

Gary at Bill's Radiator in Plano Texas quoted me $125.00 to rod it but suggested against it because there was obvious previous repairs limiting the efficiency of the radiator, blocked tubes, etc. He said the new core installed would be between $1,000.00 and $1,100.00. A week + later the bill was $1,286.00. That included a cleaning of the CAC unit. I asked if he had pressure tested it and he told me that they never leak so he just cleaned it, $50.00.
My opinion is that anyone that tells you that your 93 year old CAC or any older CAC "never leak" is full of you know what.

While it is out have it pressure tested in a water bath while you stand there and watch. Trust me, it will leak!

Last fall I needed a new radiator and thought that my CAC would be OK as the boost had always been at the top end of the scale with lot's of power.

Well when it went into the water bath and air was supplied to one opening while the other is sealed off I was shocked at the amount of water agitation that was coming from my CAC.

Needless to say I had them re-core the CAC while it was out rather than having to remove it one more time to be fixed later.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 11-06-2016, 01:54 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I took mine in to have it cleaned and tested. I really didn't think it looked bad but when I called to check on it they said it had to be rebuilt. I took the time to go down there and watch them pressure test it and sure enough, it leaked bad on one side. The guy said pretty much all CAC's leak but once they get over ~10% they need to be rebuilt.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:41 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I replaced mine myself. The radiator was $1,000. It was a big job for me but I'm hardly a mechanic. Here's a link with pictures: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/dsdp...ed-263374.html
Old 11-07-2016, 07:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
My opinion is that anyone that tells you that your 93 year old CAC or any older CAC "never leak" is full of you know what.

While it is out have it pressure tested in a water bath while you stand there and watch. Trust me, it will leak!

Last fall I needed a new radiator and thought that my CAC would be OK as the boost had always been at the top end of the scale with lot's of power.

Well when it went into the water bath and air was supplied to one opening while the other is sealed off I was shocked at the amount of water agitation that was coming from my CAC.

Needless to say I had them re-core the CAC while it was out rather than having to remove it one more time to be fixed later.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Double doggone darn, what you said makes a ton of sense. I hadn't thought about the fact that the compressed air goes through the radiator before it hits the intake, leak isn't good.

I'm taking it to another radiator shop, Greenville Texas, closer, and I swore after leaving Bill's I would never go back, personality thing. The Greenville shop said he had never tested a CAC either, must be a Texas country thing.

One other thing, Bill's never painted the core, just the tanks. I thought the black paint helped with the heat transfer, thoughts?
Old 11-07-2016, 08:49 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Paint on tanks is fine, paint on cooling tubes and fins not so good. My opinion is that the paint is one more surface that the heat has to penetrate through while cooling the fluid as it passes through the radiator. To me paint would hinder the cooling effect.

My old radiator had paint on the tanks only.

My new aluminum radiator and CAC have no paint on them anywhere.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	New Radiator-02.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	328.8 KB
ID:	143767   Click image for larger version

Name:	New CAC-01.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	264.9 KB
ID:	143768  

Name:	Old Radiator-01.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	355.5 KB
ID:	143769  
Old 11-07-2016, 04:00 PM   #14

Some days are diamonds, and some are just hard rocks, like today.

Basically the guy at the radiator shop in Greenville Texas changed his story as soon as I showed up. He said he had never seen one leak over the phone but he would pressure test mine for $25.00. In person it was "oh yeah, I've had those leak. Leave it here and I will do it for $50.00."

I had a forty mile round trip invested already but the attitude, p-oed him a bit when I passed. Life in the city when you're this close to the country. Everyone has to make a buck. But bait and switch isn't a way to endear someone.

So I've got two radiator shops within 30 miles opposite directions that I won't do business with. So....... I'm going to a box store and buy an inner tube for a car sized tire. I will cut around the valve core assembly a big enough chunk to hose clamp over one end of the CAC unit. I will cut out a matching piece for the other end. Thirty psi should be enough to make a leak show. If I have a leak then I will deal with that. If not I'm out the cost of the tube and time to do the test. And yes, I have a two hundred fifty gallon water trough for the horse and deer to use as a tank.

Tags
ace, radiator, replace, replacement