RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-04-2019, 12:18 PM   #1

ISL 400 engine failure

Thank you everyone for the great info and posts. This is my first. I bought a 2006 Allegro Bus 2 years ago from Camping World Houston. Recently got a series of stop engine lights. "High crankcase pressure". Now several months later and thousands in troubleshooting and changed components, they have found the WRONG AIR FILTER WAS INSTALLED sometime before I bought it. After I bought it I had my local Freightliner (PHX AZ) service center conduct a service for the chassis and engine. They noted the air filter did not need to be changed. (learned now they only checked the Air Minder, not the actual filter).

Only after 3 visits for the engine light was it discovered that the AIR FILTER was the same size and shape but REVERSED. This would have not been a killer except for several drain holes at the bottom that now let unfiltered air directly into the turbo inlet.
As a professional pilot I find it troubling that someone could buy 2 different Air Filter Canisters that are the exact same size and shape, but that work in the exact opposite manner.....however you apparently can.

I have Good Sam Electrical and Mechanical Service Plan. I am hoping it is covered as I am looking at a $36,500 repair bill for a complete overhaul. They found signs of dust intrusion on the turbo nut, with crank pressure of 18PSI at 1200 RPM.
Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions!

Styz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2019, 12:33 PM   #2

Bad deal for a first post .Hope they do a good job for you. When I seen your post I thought it was for the bad wrist pins

ISL wrist pin defect serial number range

but this is just as bad.
2 stroker

2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 01:47 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I'm very sorry for your misfortune. I've found with RV's that most times I have to dig into the issue myself to insure it's done correctly.

I would be interested in seeing pictures of your air filter. Our air filters are large round cans with an inlet on one end and a side outlet 2/3 down the round can. But, our air filters can be reversed. The water drain holes are in the duct work leading up to the filter. This same filter is used on many different types of diesel motor homes and even on several different Cummins engines.

Let's hope Good Sam comes through for you.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 01:53 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Doubtful GS will pay anything as it's a mechanical breakdown insurance. A "dusted engine" is premature wear caused by the incorrect filter.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 02:00 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Educated guess here, your coach came from the factory with the filter vito describes, which can flow either way. They drilled no drain holes in these filters to avoid what just happened to you. They also make directional filters, same size, same shape. They did drill drain holes in some of these, because if installed in the correct direction, air can only be sucked into the dirty side of the filter.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:49 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Before doing anything else, have a oil sample done. This will tell you how bad the dusting is. Was there signs of oil on the back of the coach on on the car if you pull one?. If not, the dusting is not that bad. While high crankcase pressure is not a good thing, it can be lived with as I doubt your warranty is going to cough up $36K for a rebuild.
Once you have more info get back to us and even PM me as I've been where you are at.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 12:33 PM   #7

Update: Cummins in PHX said they also found a cut line to Air Minder.. Also put in insurance claim with Progressive. They said they would work with me as they believe it has to be either an accident type failure (road debris cutting hose -Progressive might cover) or Mechanical failure (Good Sam coverage). At least they are helping. Either way if it doesn't work out and i am looking at a total in frame rebuild anyway and the engine is still running fine (except for Stop Engine Logic). What if it still runs for another 5 years and does not get any worse with filtration problems corrected (and high crankcase pressure warning disabled)? Thanks for the support and ideas.
Old 04-10-2019, 03:30 PM   #8

Subscribed, good luck
Old 04-11-2019, 11:01 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styz17 View Post
Update: What if it still runs for another 5 years and does not get any worse with filtration problems corrected (and high crankcase pressure warning disabled)?
The issue is you currently do not know how bad the damage is. You need to send in an oil sample like Ivy suggested. They will provide you with a great deal of baseline information.
You also need a good crankcase pressure check. If the issue is severe, the engine cannot be operated as it will continue to get worse and could result in catastrophic failure.

Hopefully it's just started and you can save it.

Best of luck!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:11 PM   #10

I am wondering if a very dirty crankcase filter might be the cause of the "High Crankcase Pressure" reading. On our coach the recommendation is to change the crankcase filter after every third or fourth oil change.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:31 PM   #11

UPDATE

Oil sample came back bad, will have to rebuild. Good Sam did accept the claim (the good news), but limited the coverage to $13,000 (the bad news). It seems I didn't read the fine print that the policy only had $25,000 in total payout. I have already used $12,000 for other issues. Tracked down records and found previous owner had overheating problems. Not done fighting but there is some good news. Thanks everyone for the help.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:08 PM   #12

This is the main reason to take oil samples so you can see what's going on. They will show if the silica (dust) PPM come up along with all the other things. I pull a sample on every oil change so I can see what is going on inside my motor. At $13.50 through the Cat labs is cheap insurance.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 04:35 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
OP, before rebuilding I would change the oil and filter and then drive it for 50 miles to start getting the sand out of the block. Better to do this before the rebuild than after as one oil change will not be enough to get a oil sample down to an acceptable level.

Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine