Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2010, 09:45 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
ISL 400 Engine Specifications

All - I checked my owners manual and nowhere can I find the following information, so if you have it please post it here. The manual does state to check the dataplate, which I will do once I am at the coach. Thank you in advance. I have not checked cummins web site, that is my next chore.

Red Line RPM
Torque RPM
HP RPM
Normal Operating RPM-Safe operating range.

Thank you in advance.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2010, 05:24 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You can find some of the specs you are looking for on the Cummins site. Since you have a 2007 coach, you probably have the EPA 2007 spec version of the ISL, but the pre-2007 isn't different in RPM or torque (I have a 2003 in a 2004 coach and the numbers are the same).

Cummins Every Time - Motorhome - EPA 07 ISL

http://cumminsengines.com/sites/ever...ection=ratings

The governed speed of the ISL is 2200, which means it won't allow you to exceed that. You can't operate it at an unsafe RPM - it simply will refuse to do it.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:43 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renipladlo View Post
Red Line RPM
Torque RPM
HP RPM
Normal Operating RPM-Safe operating range.
Gary has a good link, some more information is here: ISL 400 in Motorhomes

From the charts on page 2, it looks like the peak TQ is at 1300 RPM, and peak HP is 2100 rpm. Normal safe operation RPM would be between those two limits.

Like Gary said, the engine/transmission control computers will do their best to prevent you from over-speeding the engine. But one important note in my engine owner manual is to not operate the engine for more than 30 seconds at full throttle while below peak torque RPM. That's probably the most important thing to watch for, as the computer will watch for the high end. The computer should watch the low end, as well, but it doesn't hurt to be vigilant (as I assume you would like to do, since you're asking these questions.)

I put small dots on my tach at 1300 and 2100 RPM, and try to keep the needle between those limits while under load.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote