Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2019, 11:26 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
ISL 400 no go - Stuck in NE Texas

Well I started my full timing two weeks ago and now I find myself with an engine that won't keep running. Went to start yesterday and it fired up fine but only ran for a minute or so. Then it wouldn't start. Turns over fine but no fire. I called Love's mobile mechanic and he came with new fuel filters. Replaced the old, primed and cycled the pump several times. Then started and it did the same thing for him. Seems to pump the fuel in the filter, run on that, but the fuel flow doesn't continue so it shuts off. Right now I'm scheduled at Lonestar Truck Group for repair next Tuesday. This will involve a 57 mile tow which will be another adventure (42 foot tag axle - yikes).
Any ideas what could be wrong? My apologies if I have this on the wrong forum. Thanks in advance for any help.
R0k0la is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2019, 11:58 AM   #2

Id guess a fuel connection is allowing air to be sucked into the fuel line. Id look at the fuel lines closely for any small leaks if fuel can get out air can get in.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:53 PM   #3

Thanks. I'm getting under and following the lines from the primary filter to see what kind of pump I have (mechanical or electric) Got a PM from Muggsinme and he thinks the problems is related to the fuel supply to the filters. Appreciate the help. What year is your coach?
Old 03-07-2019, 03:02 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The mobile tech didn't try to pull codes from the ECM? If it's not running, I'm sure a code would be active.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:26 PM   #5

Hi Rokola; Just finished reading your post. Just got finished reading some posts using the help search box at the top right of this page. You mentioned the mobile changed the filters. First I do not know what year your 36' Windsor is. If you have a lift pump as part of the fuel system this is what I would do for a start. I backed up and see that it sounds like you do have a system with the lift pump. I would have someone turn the ing. key to the run position. You should now be able to hear the lift pump run. I think the cycle is 30 seconds to 1 minute of operation of the lift pump. While the pump is running open the water drain on the primary filter and see if you get fuel running continually out of the drain. If so then I would move over to the secondary filter and do the same process. This will at least tell you how far the fuel is progressing in the system. I read a post that an owner found a check valve in the fuel line between the fuel tank and the filter that was full of crap. His ISC on a 2000 H.R acted almost the same as your except he got a check engine light and the ECM logged a code. As Dennis mentioned, did you get any warning lights? After cleaning out the check valve twice, no more problems. Hope this gets you closer without getting towed. After the last filter in the high pressure pump for the injectors. Please keep us informed if you try some of the suggestions here and good luck!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 04:08 PM   #6
YC1

Did the mechanic pre-fill the filters? Just asking because my 2008 becomes a brick if I don't pre-fill the one on the engine at least.

I am not interested in a lecture on cycling the key. I have owned this thing since new and have had to pull the filter/s off twice to pre-fill after it would not start and I change one filter at a time and run it in between.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 07:12 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
He said it started after the filters were changed so I think the fuel filter change went okay, but didn't fix the issue.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:22 PM   #8

Id recommend a fuel pressure gauge after the secondary filter before injector pump. I put one on mine and I wouldn’t run without it now. Mines a 98 HR with the old but good Cummins ISB. Hope u get her running before tow.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:25 AM   #9
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
He said it started after the filters were changed so I think the fuel filter change went okay, but didn't fix the issue.

Mine will start and then die and not start if I don't pre-fill.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 04:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0k0la View Post
Well I started my full timing two weeks ago and now I find myself with an engine that won't keep running. Went to start yesterday and it fired up fine but only ran for a minute or so. Then it wouldn't start. Turns over fine but no fire. I called Love's mobile mechanic and he came with new fuel filters. Replaced the old, primed and cycled the pump several times. Then started and it did the same thing for him. Seems to pump the fuel in the filter, run on that, but the fuel flow doesn't continue so it shuts off. Right now I'm scheduled at Lonestar Truck Group for repair next Tuesday. This will involve a 57 mile tow which will be another adventure (42 foot tag axle - yikes).
Any ideas what could be wrong? My apologies if I have this on the wrong forum. Thanks in advance for any help.
what year is your rv
iamcaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 04:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0k0la View Post
have you bleed the injectors ?
iamcaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:12 AM   #12

This makes sense to me now.. Not sure why I don't see my response but I got it running yesterday thus avoiding the long tow. Here's what I did. Found another mobile diesel tech that fortunately was just finishing a job and not far away. The other fortunate thing is his brother owns the exact coach as mine. I thought I had updated my bio, I now have a 2008 Scepter Holiday Rambler. He arrived and immediately went to work. Pulled his air hose and had me positioned at the filter. Loosened the filter and applied air to the tank through the vent hose. When the fuel started coming out the filter I tightened it up thus sealing the system. After a few cranks she started up and continued to run. He said if you fill the primary then take time to fill the secondary, this gives the fuel in the line a chance to siphon back to the tank, allowing air in the line. That's why I like YC1's method of starting in between filler primes.
Thank you all for the help. I really didn't like the idea of towing 57 miles and then the expense of that and the repair. I did waste $220 on Love's mobile service, although he did bring the new filters.
There were a few unanswered questions posted, neither tech checked for a code. The second one simply knew what the problem was and fixed it. Yes there is a warning light that is on and still on. In the manual it sez this light would indicate possible water in the primary. Not sure how to reset it.
Lesson learned and will follow YC1's method of filter changing in the future. So sorry for the long post but I am so relieved.
BTW - A huge thanks to Muggsnme. He helped me through a PM and a phone call. He's a 25 year diesel tech and he put me the right track to solving the problem. Ran across a December post from him on a similar problem. Had a phone call within an hour of contacting him.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:14 AM   #13

Great that you found the problem, and got things running. Also appreciate you sharing what you found, as it may help others down the road...

Go have some fun,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:55 AM   #14

Yes thank you, for letting us kniw. when i change my filters i remove a plug on the downstream side of the top of secondary filter and install a temporary hose to a bottle. Then use lift pump until no more air comes out (like bleeding car brakes) this makes sure no air in system and no prefilling filters. Some fuel comes out from line between filters then air until its purged. Dont crank till its purged or youll get air in injectors then they have to be purged which is a pain.

Tags
texas