Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:21 PM   #1
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
My ISL came equipped with a FS1003 filter.

There is an upgraded filter FS19596 that may be used instead.

From the CUMMINS FILTRATION web site.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Part: FS1003
Manufacturer: FLEETGUARD
Part Type: Fuel/Water Sep Spin-On

Largest OD: 93.73 mm (3.69 in)
Overall Height: 248.16 mm (9.77 in)
Standpipe: YES
Thread Size: 1-14 UNS-2B

Additional Information:
CUMMINS 3406889
For upgrade, use
FS19596
Product Comment

Gaskets :3911818, 3943730, 3933325, 3313108

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2008, 01:21 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
My ISL came equipped with a FS1003 filter.

There is an upgraded filter FS19596 that may be used instead.

From the CUMMINS FILTRATION web site.

Quote:
Part: FS1003
Manufacturer: FLEETGUARD
Part Type: Fuel/Water Sep Spin-On

Largest OD: 93.73 mm (3.69 in)
Overall Height: 248.16 mm (9.77 in)
Standpipe: YES
Thread Size: 1-14 UNS-2B

Additional Information:
CUMMINS 3406889
For upgrade, use
FS19596
Product Comment

Gaskets :3911818, 3943730, 3933325, 3313108

Old 03-22-2008, 05:47 PM   #3

Wonder what the difference is? Better filtration I guess? I haven't had any trouble with the FS1003.

Toban
Old 03-23-2008, 12:27 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
I don't know what the difference is.

Our only hope is for Leo to find out.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:42 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Route 66:

Our only hope is for Leo to find out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm working on it I suspect its the new element material but need to verify. Had death of very close friend this weekend so I'm tied up for next couple of days and will have to modify my weeks schedule in morning when everyone is back to work.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:06 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I don't know if this applies to this discussion, but my filter is a solid canister type. My tech suggested replacing it with an upgraded filter with a clear plastic bottom 1/3 of the filter. Says it's easier to purge if you can see it needs it. It sure made sense to me.

2008 HR Endeavor (DIP) PDQ
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 04:27 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Corkey:
I don't know if this applies to this discussion, but my filter is a solid canister type. My tech suggested replacing it with an upgraded filter with a clear plastic bottom 1/3 of the filter. Says it's easier to purge if you can see it needs it. It sure made sense to me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

----------------------------------------------------
I'm not sure why chassis manufacturers decide to use one type vs another. My 99 Discovery on an FCCC chassis came with the filter/bowl FS1242 (now the FS1015B) but my 2006 Spartan came with the FS1003 (now the FS15596). I will say that in 7 yrs and 90,000 miles I never had any water in the bowl or at least not enough to be easily visible and the yearly change cycle made it moot.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:49 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Ecker, I like the "moot" part of your reply. I have mentally made it a non-issue. Thx

2008 HR Endeavor (DIP) PDQ
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:20 AM   #9

FYI the NAPA cross reference number for this fuel/water separator is #3604.
yudamann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:34 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by yudamann:
FYI the NAPA cross reference number for this fuel/water separator is #3604. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
-----------------------------------------------
FWIW

I would point out that fit doesn't mean same quality any more than meeting an SAE or some other standard means that all products that meet it are of same quality. The Cummins Filtration filter media in the filters being discussed here are made of a proprietary media tradenamed StrataPore which is a multi-layer melt blown material. The American Filtration Society named this as the most technically advanced design.

It costs about $8 more than a WIX,which for me is insignificant for a product that is so critical to the life of the fuel system.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:37 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ecker:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Route 66:

Our only hope is for Leo to find out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm working on it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, the difference is that the upgrade is 7 micron vs 10 micron in original. The media material is same- no change. So, I know what changed but not why. My contact was unaware of the change so we all need to do some more research and see who or why this was changed.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:42 AM   #12
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks Leo.

Could this be a filter for the 2007 emissions engines?

Old 03-24-2008, 01:40 PM   #13

Thanks Leo.

Could this be a filter for the 2007 emissions engines? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what been in the back of my head but I wonder whether some sort of data showed it might be desirable to have cleaner fuel to the injectors due to the higher water content of bio-fuel and ULSD. Even a minute amount of water can do a lot of damage.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:22 AM   #14
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks Leo.

Isn't the FF5488 a 2 micron filter?

If so, it would seem that the primary filter upgrade is somewhat academic.

However, I suppose the secondary filter's job would be a little easier with a 7 micron primary filter.

Since the primary filter is physically larger, I suppose it could filter more contaminates before it became clogged.