Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2014, 08:03 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
ISL Serpentine Belt Change Procedure??

I realize it is a very, very remote possibility that I would ever have to change the belt while on the road (I had new belt installed last summer and kept old belt as spare) but I want to know how to do it. The coach has a good diagram of the belt routing an I can see the 1/2" square drive notch in the tensioner gizmo.

So, I will plan to carry my 1/2" drive breaker bar. Do you pull up or push down to release tension? Other than releasing tension on that, is there anything else involved in the process?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2014, 08:51 AM   #2

If you look at the tensioner, you should be able to tell which way to apply pressure. Other than keeping your fingers out of the way, there is nothing to it., just follow the diagram.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:51 AM   #3

Do you have a rear radiator? If so changing the belt can be a real pain in the back side. If you have a side radiator, changing the belt is easy. For me I have to remove the protective screen on the bottom side, and then the cage that covers the fan. Rather then a 1/2" breaker bar, you might want to get a 1/2" long handle ratchet, to loosen the tensioner. Also for me, being that I have 'limited' access from in side the MH, it almost takes two people to put the belt on. Do not forget some ting to lay on and a good light to see what you are doing.
Your best bet would be to do this project at home once so that you will have an idea what to expect when you do need to replace the belt.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:48 AM   #4

The secret is to keep up with the rhythm, and maintain your dignity!

You put your right hand in,
You pull your old belt out,
You put your new belt in,
And you shake tension all about,

You do the hokey pokey
and you turn yourself around
That what how you change your belt.

(Oil filter changes are done to the Chicken Dance!)

Sorry guys, slow day here on a Holiday. And if I can't have fun with a fell CC owner - well, that would be sad!

Best to all, be safe, and always remember to smile when doing the Hokey Pokey!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:34 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2Home View Post
Do you have a rear radiator? If so changing the belt can be a real pain in the back side. If you have a side radiator, changing the belt is easy. For me I have to remove the protective screen on the bottom side, and then the cage that covers the fan. Rather then a 1/2" breaker bar, you might want to get a 1/2" long handle ratchet, to loosen the tensioner. Also for me, being that I have 'limited' access from in side the MH, it almost takes two people to put the belt on. Do not forget some ting to lay on and a good light to see what you are doing.
Your best bet would be to do this project at home once so that you will have an idea what to expect when you do need to replace the belt.
Mine is side radiator. I have very easy access to the engine, belt, pulleys, etc.

Had a rear rad DP. Never again.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:55 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
ONly one word here

I am not familiar with the side layout but do know that you have a ribbed belt. when putting it back on you must put the smooth side over the smooth pulley last. As for the tension, simply insert a long handled ratchet or bar in the hole and pull it back. there is generally no adjustment.

for those with a rear Radiator, you must run the belt over and around each of the fan blades then onto the pulleys.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:14 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Changed both my belts Friday took 14 minutes
The Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:24 PM   #8

You will pull up on the breaker bar to release the tensioner. You will also pull up to allow enough slack to install the new belt.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote