RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVJOHNTX View Post
Hello Smitty,

Have you been able to get your ECM features and parameters updated? I recently had John Wolf (Cummins expert for Country Coach) at Cummins Coburg do my 370 to 400 upgrade. I would also be interested in this lift pump work around. I think many have had this lift pump fail over the years.

I also noted on another forum that you are getting ready to have the wax valve installed. Sounds like a good solution. Contemplating that one as well. Do they just plug up all the Sauer Danfoss sensors.

Thanks
John
Hi John - Sorry for the delayed response!

I'm trying to get back to the Cummins flashed ISL400. Brazel's took a 'baseline' of my ISL370 which had been updated by them to ISL400 config. But, they could not 'restroom' my 'as was/is' config. We were dead in the water, until they called in another company that had the ability to reload the OEM ISL370 flash. I was lucky I had a snap shot of the 'parameter's' that I had chosen, and the tech took the time to reload most of those. (I need to check with why my SN was not reflecting the update ISL400 config, thus only being able to restore the ISL370, as I paid good money for a Cummins Pacific Care shop to do this upgrade. One key thing for paying as much as I did for 30 mins or less work, was that Cummins was updated for my engine SN. (May have been the other place did not look far enough. But, possible that the first place that did the work did not 'register' my SN with the upgrade. (Understand, that I understood that 'no warranty' at ISL400 was part of this, in a then 7-8 year old engine. But, at the prices I paid for this upgrade, they were supposed to 'register' this with Cummins. So, when time permits, I'll be back on the phone with Cummins and visit the shop I wrote the check too!.

I get the Source Engineering Wax Valve replacement installed tomorrow. And will ask specifics nohow they wire this in relation to the existing harness. (Suspect they bypass some of the harnesses wiring parameters, as this is a more 'kiss' approach! We'll see.

If I get info on either front, I'll update!

Oh, and Brazel's is checking with the firm the work with out of Montreal, if they now think they could restore my ISL400 level 'baseline'. Expected to hear back form them last week, and will recontact Brazel's next week for a status. (On key thing to me, was the ability to have my 'as is/was' ECM flash available as a 'fallback position' - if ever needed. Brazel's was not able to do this in the time I had available. (5 days, from the start. Until I had to leave due to other commitments. No luck finishing the reprogram of the ECM, or more importantly to me at that time - restore my 'as is/was' ECM config. I unfortunately went backwards in power oaths visit.) (And, to be fair, it is not always the same between each ECM. I will work with Brazel's on hopefully either completing the ECM reprogram to a higher safe power output. Or, the restoration of my 'as is/was' snap shot before I had to move on. May be next year before I can do so, but, will keep working with them to resolve!) (STUFF HAPPENS!)

Best,
Smitty

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2015, 09:52 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Hi John - Sorry for the delayed response!

I'm trying to get back to the Cummins flashed ISL400. Brazel's took a 'baseline' of my ISL370 which had been updated by them to ISL400 config. But, they could not 'restroom' my 'as was/is' config. We were dead in the water, until they called in another company that had the ability to reload the OEM ISL370 flash. I was lucky I had a snap shot of the 'parameter's' that I had chosen, and the tech took the time to reload most of those. (I need to check with why my SN was not reflecting the update ISL400 config, thus only being able to restore the ISL370, as I paid good money for a Cummins Pacific Care shop to do this upgrade. One key thing for paying as much as I did for 30 mins or less work, was that Cummins was updated for my engine SN. (May have been the other place did not look far enough. But, possible that the first place that did the work did not 'register' my SN with the upgrade. (Understand, that I understood that 'no warranty' at ISL400 was part of this, in a then 7-8 year old engine. But, at the prices I paid for this upgrade, they were supposed to 'register' this with Cummins. So, when time permits, I'll be back on the phone with Cummins and visit the shop I wrote the check too!.

I get the Source Engineering Wax Valve replacement installed tomorrow. And will ask specifics nohow they wire this in relation to the existing harness. (Suspect they bypass some of the harnesses wiring parameters, as this is a more 'kiss' approach! We'll see.

If I get info on either front, I'll update!

Oh, and Brazel's is checking with the firm the work with out of Montreal, if they now think they could restore my ISL400 level 'baseline'. Expected to hear back form them last week, and will recontact Brazel's next week for a status. (On key thing to me, was the ability to have my 'as is/was' ECM flash available as a 'fallback position' - if ever needed. Brazel's was not able to do this in the time I had available. (5 days, from the start. Until I had to leave due to other commitments. No luck finishing the reprogram of the ECM, or more importantly to me at that time - restore my 'as is/was' ECM config. I unfortunately went backwards in power oaths visit.) (And, to be fair, it is not always the same between each ECM. I will work with Brazel's on hopefully either completing the ECM reprogram to a higher safe power output. Or, the restoration of my 'as is/was' snap shot before I had to move on. May be next year before I can do so, but, will keep working with them to resolve!) (STUFF HAPPENS!)

Best,
Smitty
First, a correction on spell checker and I having different words in mind. That was 'restore' not 'restroom' my 'as is/was' ECM program!

Jim from Source Engineering says they just cap off the old tubes and lines going to the Fan Controller, and that the harness remains intact plugged into the now abandoned fan controller. (At least that is what I got out of the conversation, will look it all over when they're done and correct if I'm wrong.)

Best,
Smitty

Old 10-26-2015, 12:12 PM   #17

Smitty,

What is "road scary water?"

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRex45 View Post
Smitty,

What is "road scary water?"
In case you missed picking up from my posts, I'm a fan of adding not only too many words, but the wrong combo at times too!

https://www.google.com/search?q=scar...bWxGQ064mpM%3A

Was not able to make this into a 'link'. But this is how CAT's avoid scary waters...

And yeah, I was trying to clarify that ongoing water from roadways have some scary items in them. Some FASS pumps have failed in Dodge truck applications, from road water/spray/junk getting tossed up and wearing into the pump. (May not be a current design problem, but did read of failures while researching FASS in general. And, these truck could have been river crossing for all I know!)

With the pump installed in a dry basement compartment, it is protected from road hazardous water spray.

Best,
Smitty
Old 10-27-2015, 09:40 AM   #19

Ah, makes sense now. I have considered adding the FASS in the same area in our coach but it is not weather tight in the RR corner of our 97 Intrigue.

Thanks!

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:34 PM   #20

I wanted to close the loop, for now, on the ECM reprogram.

The short of it is we ran out of time while at Brazel's, for the to continue working with the company that provides the reprogramming. Very good chance that a few more tries would have resulted in a successful reprogramed ECM. In the mix of this, we lost our ECM ISL370 cummins update to ISL400 reprogram.

Brazil's networked with the reprograming company, and they were not able to provide a source for me in the area I'm traveling to attempt a restore to the ISL400 level.

They suggested two paths forwards to choose from, and both had positives to them. I elected to take the safe for the balance of our travel option for now, and have had Cummins Northwest reprogram my ECM back to the ISL400 config. And, I'm hoping that when I'm back to a stationary location, that I can work with Brazel's on the second option too.

Very pleased with the open dialog, and their straightforward approach. And, again another tech at complemented the craftsmanship and attention to detail on the FASS fuel pump install.

As with most things, there's always more info that could be shared. But the key to me is that Brazel's cares enough to work with me to get me back to where I was when I came in.

My best to them, and all,
Smitty

Tags
ace, replace