RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-25-2019, 12:54 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
ISM intermittent no start

Over the years we have had no-crank issues when the engine is hot. It has always started when cold. In each prior case it was an electrical problem like a bad relay or solenoid. Over the past several months we have had an occasional no-crank, but in each case cycling the key a couple of times started the engine. This time that didn't work. Repeatedly turning the key to start position did nothing.

This occurred in line for a truck wash. It stated twice normally to move ahead, but the third time it would not turn over. Trying to start it from the rear run box did nothing, indicating that the ignition switch was working.

I put a meter on the output of the large silver solenoid that enables the starter solenoid and it was functional, indicating that the relays controlling it were also good. I was stumped. Another driver in the line suggested tapping on the starter with a hammer. I did and it started right up.

Needless to say, I didn't turn it off again until we were parked in a campsite. Since that time, it has started flawlessly, but I have not shut it off unless we were parked where we aren't blocking traffic.

My thought is to replace the starter solenoid, or the whole starter, but I'm not convinced that will fix the problem. FWIW, all grounds and cables have been inspected and cleaned recently. The batteries were new in January and test good. All annual maintenance is up to date. The ignition switch was replaced three years ago.

Thoughts?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2019, 01:11 PM   #2

Replace or get your starter rebuilt

ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 01:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransil View Post
Replace or get your starter rebuilt
Exactly, have had the same deal on tractors
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:53 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks, that's what I thought the answer would be. It looks pretty straightforward, just messy, heavy and awkward. <sigh>

Cheers,
Old 08-26-2019, 11:17 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Wait! I would install one of the new Delco gear reduction starters. They are amazing compared to the original starter. It will crank faster and start much easier as well as require less amperage.

These links may be for the larger ISX but the starters are similar if not identical.
ISX 525 Starter replacement part #
Replacing Original Starter on Cummins 600

From Mike Canter:
The Denso part number that fits the Cummins ISX, the Cummins ISM-500 and the Detroit Series 60 is Denso 428000-4430.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Wait! I would install one of the new Delco gear reduction starters. They are amazing compared to the original starter. It will crank faster and start much easier as well as require less amperage.

These links may be for the larger ISX but the starters are similar if not identical.
ISX 525 Starter replacement part #
Replacing Original Starter on Cummins 600

From Mike Canter:
The Denso part number that fits the Cummins ISX, the Cummins ISM-500 and the Detroit Series 60 is Denso 428000-4430.

x2 on this

I take back my get it rebuilt above, get a gear reduction starter.

it should be lighter than the original by a lot.
I have a gear reduction showing up today from amazon today for my Bronco, smaller and lighter makes a difference if you are doing it yourself.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 11:44 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks, again. Yes, I am planning to use a Denso or Delco geared starter. I haven't had any issues with cranking speed, but see no reason not to upgrade.

Vito, the Denso p/n I see for a 98-2006 ISM is 428000-4420, not -4430 according to Medium & Heavy Duty Starters | DENSO Heavy Duty (scroll down to R5 Medium & Heavy Duty Starter Application Guide) Not sure that makes any difference, though. Thoughts? The 4420 is narrower than the 4430, but hangs down a little more. I don't see that as an issue on our coaches.

BTW, any tricks on how to get at the top bolt??

Cheers,
Old 08-27-2019, 10:37 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
There are several starters that will fit. Some have a different tooth count and some are clocked differently. Please post back on here how it fits?

I used a long extension to get at the top bolt. Take it out first and in last, but don't tighten any bolts until they are all started.

vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no start