Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2014, 05:26 PM   #1

ISM power loss only after warmed up

My 2006 ISM 500hp engine will "derate" or lose power with reduced turbo pressure above 1400 rpms only after at least an hour of steady driving when the outside temp is above 50 degrees.

No check engine light ever comes on (Cummins checked, and it's working properly and no fault codes were stored).

We finally got it to a Cummins shop when it was experiencing the problem, and they found reduced fuel pressure out of the only fuel filter on my coach. Same test had been run by another Cummins shop while engine was cold, and no drop in pressure.

Pulled the fuel filter and found quite an accumulation of stuff: some looked like small flakes of rust, some seemed a bit like gel, and some seemed a bit greenish like algae.

Put on new filter and ran the coach on the nearby interstate almost flat out for 45 min....and maybe felt a tinge of hesitation at high revs with a very slight reduction in boost pressure. Pulled new filter and found a slight amount of same "rust flakes" as before. Put on another new filter.

Even if this fixes the problem, I don't understand why it would only trigger after the engine compartment really warms up. We ran the WVa mountains on a 40 degree day without one hickup last week.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2014, 06:06 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
After reading your post Doug, is it possable that you picked some bad fuel? sounds like your problems is lack of fuel getting to the engine and you are finding your filters about plugged off...........Maybe a tank drain and flush is in order.........or just keep spare filters on hand.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:16 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Did you fuel with Bio Diesel? That will clean your system of all the junk built up and plug your filter.
Has your MH sat for an extended period of time. If so you may have algae growing in the tank.
Just some of the problems we have run into with the semi's over the years.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:06 AM   #4

All kinds of possibilities for the source of the filter debris, but I don't understand why the derate occurs only after a very thorough warm-up...and it seems like understanding that point might help narrow the search for the source.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
All kinds of possibilities for the source of the filter debris, but I don't understand why the derate occurs only after a very thorough warm-up...and it seems like understanding that point might help narrow the search for the source.
Just a thought Driver, but after driving a while the fuel could be getting stired up enough to start pulling it into the pickup tube?
Steve
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:00 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
The fuel is cold when first started, and after running, the "fuel return" to the tank is warmed, quite a bit. Not sure to what temperature. If you were to feel your tank after running a while you would feel it to be warm, and with the fuel return going back to your tank.......Might be stirring it up as mentioned above......
I believe me and the others understand what you posted, but as always, when trying to help with a problem, when just reading of what the problem is, and not there to experience it or see what is actually going on, alls folks can do is offer their best suggestions. Your filter condition seems to point to contamination in your tank for sure. Did you actually cut the filter apart at the top ring and remove the outer part so you can see the paper media and what is on it? or in it, or are you just looking inside the center hole? I cut mine apart every change to inspect the media to see exactly what is on it.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
Just a thought Driver, but after driving a while the fuel could be getting stired up enough to start pulling it into the pickup tube?
Steve
Hmmm, makes sense...
Old 04-25-2014, 10:06 AM   #8

Foretravel Owners Club
Would be thinking EGR, they have had issues, Cummins now claims they have it solved, but the issue sure affects many ISM with the EGR.

DAVE M
Genset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:08 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
The fuel is cold when first started, and after running, the "fuel return" to the tank is warmed, quite a bit. Not sure to what temperature. If you were to feel your tank after running a while you would feel it to be warm, and with the fuel return going back to your tank.......Might be stirring it up as mentioned above......
I believe me and the others understand what you posted, but as always, when trying to help with a problem, when just reading of what the problem is, and not there to experience it or see what is actually going on, alls folks can do is offer their best suggestions. Your filter condition seems to point to contamination in your tank for sure. Did you actually cut the filter apart at the top ring and remove the outer part so you can see the paper media and what is on it? or in it, or are you just looking inside the center hole? I cut mine apart every change to inspect the media to see exactly what is on it.
Flushing your tank out might be less expensive than a ton of filters and maybe changing them on the side of the road.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
Hmmm, makes sense...
Old 04-25-2014, 10:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genset View Post
Would be thinking EGR, they have had issues, Cummins now claims they have it solved, but the issue sure affects many ISM with the EGR.

DAVE M
No fault codes, and EGR shows good function when hooked to Cummins computer while hot or cold.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Double hmmmm....the fuel return stirring the tank....that's fascinating.

My filter is open on the bottom, where a clear bowl screws on for water separation, so can reach up into filter folds.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:21 PM   #12

You have a drain on the bottom of the tank and I would suggest you get a container and drain a gallon of diesel out and look at it. The worst should be at the bottom of the tank.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
You have a drain on the bottom of the tank and I would suggest you get a container and drain a gallon of diesel out and look at it. The worst should be at the bottom of the tank.
I lead a charmed life, Tom. I was on the phone today with Chris at the Spartan factory about my appointment there next week, and he mentioned the drain! I might try to open it before my appt there...after the coach has sat over this weekend.

Good tip, thanks!

Tags
power