Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2016, 10:11 AM   #1

ISM waste gate operation (Holset)

Doing maintenance on an 02' Sig, looking at the waste gate linkage, and reading that some lube the actuator with a PTfC product. Noticing that the linkage seems stuck, and wondering if an attempt to remove the lock pin and free up the WG arm, will cause a problem. The boost is within specs(25-30) and has always functions normally. So, it could be stuck shut.
What would be an indication of a stuck WG. Boost has never exceeded 30psi and power is normal.
Woryring that fiddling with the unit before a trip might cause problems with the turbo. If it works, don't fixit..
It is possible that the linkage, being air operated, might be spring loaded and being held closed until it activated. Is there any way to do non-invasive testing and looking for performance clues before doing surgery.
These Holsets are common in early ISM engines; VGT changed that setup in later models.
Daytonaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2016, 10:23 AM   #2

Waste gate is spring loaded closed and will cycle open every time max boost is achieved.
JMHO: Just lube the linkage, and shaft bushings, with a high temp lube, and move on to your next maintenance item.

EDIT: If there was an over-boost condition, the Cummins ECM will de-rate the engine by controlling fuel input to the cylinders and turn on the CEL.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:27 AM   #3

Tnx, I feel better

Thanks, I feel better..
Old 04-29-2016, 11:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonaman View Post
Doing maintenance on an 02' Sig, looking at the waste gate linkage, and reading that some lube the actuator with a PTfC product. Noticing that the linkage seems stuck, and wondering if an attempt to remove the lock pin and free up the WG arm, will cause a problem. The boost is within specs(25-30) and has always functions normally. So, it could be stuck shut.

What would be an indication of a stuck WG. Boost has never exceeded 30psi and power is normal.

Woryring that fiddling with the unit before a trip might cause problems with the turbo. If it works, don't fixit..

It is possible that the linkage, being air operated, might be spring loaded and being held closed until it activated. Is there any way to do non-invasive testing and looking for performance clues before doing surgery.

These Holsets are common in early ISM engines; VGT changed that setup in later models.

Here s your engine:

http://www.rvtechlibrary.com/engine/ISM500_specs.pdf

It's described as having a variable wastegate.

I have this engine also which was built in Sept '02 just before the change to VGT and EGR fuel system. The highest boost I've ever observed is 32.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:45 PM   #5

Steve The reason the highest boost you have ever seen is because you are getting the reading from the ECM which stops registering at 32 psi. I have a data recorder tied to the ECM and that the highest I every seen but with my boost gauge connected to the turbo with a line I see reading as high as 45 psi. When the ECM is showing 32 so is the turbo boost gauge tied to the turbo but it will go higher then 32 under full load. Have air scoop and AFE air filter which has raised the boost 4 psi.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 01:06 AM   #6

Boost

Thanks for the link Steve.
Tom, I also have the AFE and the roof scoop; but the dash gauge agrees with Triptek engine data link @30lb max. 45 would be amazing; probably over fueling or hi EGT..
Wondering what the max safe boost is for ISM..
Old 04-30-2016, 11:12 AM   #7

When the coach was new the air filter restriction gauge would read 20 and would be close to the red even with new filters. At that time we were only getting 32 psi boost. But with the air intake scoop and the AFE air filter we usually see around 40 and sometimes 45. The intake piping goes from 7 inches to 5 with a lot 90 degree turns which is the reason for the restriction. Noticeable change on power on 6 plus % grades. Have also been working with a water/methanol system for 2 years for keeping EGR valve clean with good results.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
When the coach was new the air filter restriction gauge would read 20 and would be close to the red even with new filters. At that time we were only getting 32 psi boost. But with the air intake scoop and the AFE air filter we usually see around 40 and sometimes 45. The intake piping goes from 7 inches to 5 with a lot 90 degree turns which is the reason for the restriction. Noticeable change on power on 6 plus % grades. Have also been working with a water/methanol system for 2 years for keeping EGR valve clean with good results.

Tom
I would love to see a picture of your scoop.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:33 AM   #9

DAJO Used the ladder as my attachment for the air intake scoop in the back. Had it chromed and if you tell me were to get info. on sending picture will do. Tom
Old 05-08-2016, 09:24 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I just replaced the turbo actuator on my 2005 ISL. The bushing had seized onto the turbo shaft. So much so that when the actuator was remove (with much effort) the bushing stayed behind. With the bushing seized turbo boost would go to 31.4 max (normal for my rig), but would derate at full throttle. The Insite software indicated fuel derate and showed the turbo was over speed. Up to 137,000 rpm when max should be in the 110,000 range. All is working fine now.
randyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 02:04 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Waste gate is spring loaded closed and will cycle open every time max boost is achieved.
JMHO: Just lube the linkage, and shaft bushings, with a high temp lube, and move on to your next maintenance item
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post

EDIT: If there was an over-boost condition, the Cummins ECM will de-rate the engine by controlling fuel input to the cylinders and turn on the CEL.

Please excuse my jumping in: would that cause it to not pick up speed past 35mph or so? Last week I slowed down for a police officer on the shoulder with lights on. When I went to speed op again 35 was all I could get. I shut it off a few times but it never helped until I shut it down while I slept. 4 hours later it was running fine? Its the Cummins 330hp engine 97 vintage.

trucker101 is offline   Reply With Quote