Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2019, 07:31 AM   #309

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Mark View Post
Isn't that against the law?

Mark
so is the Ugly Fix module. which by the way is a horrible snake oil attempt.

as far as laws...you will always have Outlaws. Who writes these laws? our hired representatives. Who pays the big bill in the end of a $30k inframe? How many times are you going to stroke a $30k check to stay within the law??
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2019, 08:23 AM   #310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post
so is the Ugly Fix module. which by the way is a horrible snake oil attempt.

as far as laws...you will always have Outlaws. Who writes these laws? our hired representatives. Who pays the big bill in the end of a $30k inframe? How many times are you going to stroke a $30k check to stay within the law??
From what I have gathered from this tread is that the NEW Cummins 600+ hp engines don't have this problem, right?

If I had that engine and it went south, I would put in a brand new Cummins engine and be done with it.

How much is a whole new engine? It can't be much more than $30,000?

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:29 AM   #311

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The newer 605 Hp ISX's don't seem to have a problem. The problem with putting in a newer engine is getting it certified and any factory warranty. Plus the labor cost could easily double the cost. Can it be done? Sure. Will it work? Sure. Can you afford it? Maybe. But I certainly can't.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:43 AM   #312

Thanks for the info Mr. D. You certainly didn't deserve having to fix your engine twice!

There is one plus about a Prevost, the engines can be removed fairly easily (they say). There are owners that will have the engined pulled (mainly Detroit Diesel) and have the top end worked on. I've seen pics of the engine coming straight out of the back.

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:29 AM   #313

Mark,
You are quite right the engine comes out very easily. The shop in Springfield that put the new shims on our valves had the engine out in no time. They also put in a new rear axle seal, and had the engine back in the coach in a day and a half.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:07 AM   #314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
The newer 605 Hp ISX's don't seem to have a problem. The problem with putting in a newer engine is getting it certified and any factory warranty. Plus the labor cost could easily double the cost. Can it be done? Sure. Will it work? Sure. Can you afford it? Maybe. But I certainly can't.
and how does one make the determination that the new ISX doesn't have THIS problem? From forum responses?
And how do we know that that new ISX doesn't have it's own host of issues?
And, what percent of owners of either generation have the problem at all?

Just saying that there is VERY little facts available and NO statistics on a forum to make this type of declaration. Unless you have access to Cummins Warranty / Repair order database...you have NO idea.

There is enough information if one seeks it on the Internet to make a problem out of just about any situation. That doesn't mean someone needs to do anything about it. Especially pay tens of thousands of $'s.

If you have one, drive it, enjoy it, maintain it. If Cummins says do this upgrade, do it. They DO have most of the facts. I know...I used to also have them for FCA / Cummins vehicles... IMHO.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:28 AM   #315

Monaco Owners Club
The new Cummins ISX is called the X15. For RV use, they make a 605hp version. I'm not sure they have been around long enough to uncover issues. A used 450hp truck version with low (120k) miles is around $30k. New is over double that.

Installing a new Cummins X15 in an older coach would be cost prohibitive. You would need all the accompanying emission equipment, the ECU, the fuel system, turbo, intercooler, exhaust system, chassis interface wiring, and probably lots more. Even the Allison transmission would need reprogramming.

Again, for an older ISX 650hp engine to be reliable, the EGR system must be addressed.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:22 PM   #316

It would be interesting if someone was using water/methanol injection on the older ISX 650HP and either did or didn't have cylinder 6 intake problems. Ran a water/methanol system on a 500 ISM for 10 years and over 100K miles and the intake system was very clean. It looked like it had been steam cleaned with no carbon on complete intake system. If we had a older ISX 15 at any horse power range would use ugly fix for EGR controler and a Snow water/methanol system. As Vito states it is a EGR problem.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 04:03 AM   #317

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
Ran a water/methanol system on a 500 ISM for 10 years and over 100K miles and the intake system was very clean. It looked like it had been steam cleaned with no carbon on complete intake system. .
How much water/methanol is used (on say a 1,000 mile trip)? How big is the tank. Also where do you buy methanol?

Is that considered a "performance enhancer" or is there another reason to use it?

EDIT: most of my questions are answered here: https://www.xtremediesel.com/snow-pe...jection-system
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:13 AM   #318

More curious as to the effect of water injection causing any issue with DPF and or Urea injection aftertreatment systems.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:20 AM   #319

Tom, Is the methanol / water mix injected upstream or downstream from the turbo? I am sure that answer is on that XDP website...just too lazy to research They are using a very high pressure pump, so conceivable, could be on either end.

Many years ago, had water injection on carburated small block chevy in a Datsun...high compression innards with low ocatane fuel...Should have used an antifreeze solution as it did cause some unplanned roadstops in the winter with freezing. Underhood temps did defrost the system on it's own after a brief stop.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:54 PM   #320

First put the Snow Water/Methanol on our 04 Essex with 500 ISM with EGR with no DEF. Put it on with the idea of pulling 6 plus % grades in 5th gear at 55 MPH. Went with a dual injector system after turbo with a large quantity of fluid. Only used on 6 or higher grades and had a switch under pedal so only on at full power. Used -30 degree windshield fluid and used about a 1/2 gallon per minute. Had 11 gallon container which depending on area was a good supply. Had system for about 10 years and over 100K miles. Picked up 5 mph on grades but with that high use one should have a EGT gauge because there is a increase in EGT when used for a minute or longer. Used 1300 degrees as the point to let off for a period of time on long grades.
Didn't find out about cleaning intake system till maybe 2 years after using it when I pulled a couple sensors from intake and you could see how clean they were especially on the side were injection was coming in. What I would do today is only use water and that could come from fresh water tank and 1 injector with maybe a gallon per 2 or 3 miles to keep intake clean. Only use at full pedal and with this you wouldn't need EGT gauge and would be enough to keep intake clean.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 08:44 PM   #321

Mr. D, I don't know if this thread contains anything useful to you, but it is about OTR truckers having problems with the ISX motor. https://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...oolant.232429/
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 03:52 PM   #322

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
10,000 mile report

It's been just short of one year and now at 10,000 miles since the last (3rd) rebuild. New head, valves, main bearings, thrust bearings, fuel pump, liners and pistons. Runs like a champ with no hiccups at all. Fuel mileage is about the same, no oil added since rebuilt. Some coolant loss unrelated to the rebuild. Now if Cummins would reimburse me the $53,000 I've spent doing their R&D testing for them!!

BTW: Cummins is helping with some ISX 650 repairs but requiring a non-disclosure to be signed which is why this isn't well known. Fortunately they never asked me to sign one.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, isx 650, problem, problems