Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2018, 01:00 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomledder View Post
You will have to drill a hole in the cylinder head to get directly opposite #6 intake valves.
Ya, what could go wrong? Here, hold my beer and watch this.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2018, 08:32 PM   #44

ISX Problems again?

Hi all, I have a 2014 Cornerstone with the 600 hp ISX. To date it has about 45,000 miles on it. There have been many problems with the coach but I've had coaches for several years and am aware of what comes with them. I am just next to mortified at the thought of dropping a valve. I take a few short trips a year then one for about 2 months. What a nightmare this would be not to mention an incredible expense. count me in with any help that I can be in a coalition or any other way. I'm John Oliveira from Placentia California and my calls to Cummins have been met with people claiming to be completely unaware of this issue, offering me limited warranties for several thousand dollars. Anyone have any good news for us owners from 2014 or older? Thanks, I'll be watching for any responses. My phone number can be looked up if needed. Thank You all.
J Oliveira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:52 PM   #45

I dearly loved the Cummins N-14 when it was around, but I got burned so bad on a couple of ISX engines that I will not buy another Cummins product again. Their main problems with cams and such has been primarily metallurgy related. Either way, I am definitely out of the Cummins game. From their little pickup engines all they way up thru the 15L stuff. Won't even buy a Onan (Cummins) generator.
Cowpie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:51 PM   #46

E G R says it all -

E - Example

G - Goofy

R - Research
dwaldow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:02 PM   #47

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I don't gave much info on the newer SOHC ISX's having valve problems other than one ISX 12 that purportedly it some 7 months ago. Last I knew it wasn't repaired yet.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:34 PM   #48

rebuild using 'excessive wear' worn rockers

greetings,I too have been following this discussions as well as the others related,and asking for any first hand info of any failures of rebuilds that were done after sept 2014 that would have included the more robust valve...to date nobody has come forward...to the o.p a question,and others with mechanical knowledge please chime in...I read where you found in your 13 pages of paperwork from the 2015 rebuild at a cummins shop in Oregon(wont mention names),that your engine was rebuilt using "worn rockers"and that the mechanics request for new rockers was"denied"(cant imagine letting that go).if you are seeing fluid sample readings that give cause to worry,have you given any thought to the effect that using worn parts in the rebuild could be contributing to your issues????if you become our first known failure(sure hope not) of post September 2014 rebuilds...... perhaps that factor should be considered...…..best regards jb
Joedoggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:59 PM   #49

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I hadn't given the worn rockers a thought. The invoice diesn't tell me anything about where or what is worn. Might be worth considering. Just sent an inquiry direct to Cummins to see if they can verify the valves that are in the head. The change over occurred at about the same time so maybe I got lucky.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:14 PM   #50

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
X15's are having problems too. https://m.facebook.com/groups/112261...18&__tn__=EH-R
Old 12-04-2018, 05:49 AM   #51

If you have this head part #5413782RX you got the upgraded version...otherwise my crystal ball shows ka-boom in the future. If you need the good head, I have a new one available! The oil test results do not indicate rocker gear...oil would show brass...if it got that bad, to show iron...you would hear something rattling around. Take the valve cover off and look around in there..wiggle and jiggle things around..tap the rear start button and roll the engine a few degrees..wiggle and jiggle...repeat until you find something that's loose. If there is something wrong you will quickly see it...
I bet its just #5 or #6 piston got to hot - swelled up and scuffed the liner..The rocker gear in the engine is very very stout can't imagine it being a wear issue. See pics for brass on all movement area's

Fix the heat issue and all your problems will go away for a long long time. Even the rusty valves will not crack without the heat...heat is the key...the rear of the engine on RV's are not getting cooled properly..period!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rock2.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	228021   Click image for larger version

Name:	rock1.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	232.7 KB
ID:	228022  

Click image for larger version

Name:	rock.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	228023  
08Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:03 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Navigator View Post

Fix the heat issue and all your problems will go away for a long long time. Even the rusty valves will not crack without the heat...heat is the key...the rear of the engine on RV's are not getting cooled properly..period!
08Nav - you seem to have good mechanical background...is there a known fix for improving the cooling to the rear cylinders? Are you speaking of ambient cooling (external) or via the coolant flow? Neither of those seem to be easy to fix, but I am asking. ie: is there a coolant fitting that is underscale that is choking off flow rate to keep up with the heat demands of a cylinder....something like that.

I have an ISM so don't personally care...but might help those in need.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:22 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
08Nav - you seem to have good mechanical background...is there a known fix for improving the cooling to the rear cylinders? Are you speaking of ambient cooling (external) or via the coolant flow? Neither of those seem to be easy to fix, but I am asking. ie: is there a coolant fitting that is underscale that is choking off flow rate to keep up with the heat demands of a cylinder....something like that.

When we had our head replaced I had a new EGR cooler installed.

So far the engine runs 10 or so deg lower and the heat in the rear bath at the end of the day is much cooler. We have driven just a few days but for now the updated made a difference.

One of the ISX boards did give the reason why #6 runs the hottest, I think it's the cylinder furthest from the cooler, but I cant remember. I do think / hope that Cummins determined the entire scope and made improvements to the entire system.

Some people may say that they wouldn't spend the money. I can say that the OEM replacement part segment has much higher profit margins so they are less concerned with final cost. So an improvement that is more costly is easier to implement in the aftermarket segment.

So I do hope that all the updated parts addressed multiple issues.
Old 12-04-2018, 04:01 PM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Navigator View Post
I bet its just #5 or #6 piston got to hot - swelled up and scuffed the liner.
I agree. You can see the picture of Ron's piston that did the same thing.
I would not be too worried about the rockers.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 04:43 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post

I don't have any formal mechanical education, taught myself everything I know by school of need for speed. The date of the court hearing I mentioned my personal thoughts related to the Coolant issue to Cummins management. I hope they took me serious and took the suggestion to engineering. I believe I have a fix to the coolant flow issue, but before I post something that's inaccurate and look like fool....I want to fire my machine up and test it with an IR meter. I am getting close! Fabing up a new 5" exhaust system right now..after that its install and set rockers, bolt on all the driven gadgets fill with fluids, say my new motor prayers and hit the starter. Won't be long, going to work on it all day today, cause the stock market is closed to honor H.W....We lost a great man!
08Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:49 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
I agree. You can see the picture of Ron's piston that did the same thing.
I would not be too worried about the rockers.

Yes,that is exactly why I questioned the worn rockers......the o.p. discovered after purchasing,that over 6 years and 45,000 miles,the tranny had never been serviced,and service records were incomplete or unavailable...if rockers are worn and out of spec over 45,000 miles.....WHAT DOES THAT TELL US??? Lack of proper lubrication??? Perhaps the rest of the preventative maintenance was skipped as well and To what extent does that lead to future mechanical problems....and perhaps for the o.p. what can/should be done to minimize the damage now.....this once again points out why we should always know the maintenance history of what we are getting if buying used....happy holidays and safe happy problem free travels

Tags
ems, isx 650, problem, problems