RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:46 AM   #57

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Called Cummins support to see if there was any way to tell what valves were used in my rebuild, they said no, but the dealer who did the repairs could.
So I called Cummins NW in Portland and naturally they have no way of knowing what valves were used since they got the head with the valves installed.
So back to square one.
Due to the release dates, date of rebuild and slipstreaming of new parts I'm going to guess I have the old, regular valves that caused the original failure.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2018, 03:33 PM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I find that the ignore function works well on this and other threads!

Old 12-05-2018, 05:19 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post

I know you have to be frustrated beyond belief. Its got to be a nightmare. The good that will come out of this is you and many others on these threads are bringing light to this problem for others to see. I would hope that anyone considering purchasing a used DP coach with a Cummins ISX engine will fo their do-diligence and find these threads oand become fully aware of what their getting them selves into. Im am waiting and watching patiently to see if anyone finds the root cause and the true fix for this problem.
pbensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 05:24 PM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm also finding that broken valves is a known problem on the trucker forums but they drive so many more miles that it's almost normal to them.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:55 PM   #61
RV Mutant #172

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
08Navigator, I'm really excited to hear if your cooling mod does the trick. That would be a game changing solution for the ISX. ?
Best luck!
Roadmaster Nighthawk II towing a 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511/ Good Sam/ Passport America.
Electra 225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:28 PM   #62

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
08Navigator, I'm really excited to hear if your cooling mod does the trick. That would be a game changing solution for the ISX. ?
Best luck!
I don't gave much info on the newer SOHC ISX's having valve problems other than one ISX 12 that purportedly it some 7 months ago. Last I knew it wasn't repaired yet.

MrD
Think that was our coach
We are still waiting, next month will be one year. Our mechanic got into the ERG system and the first thing he found was the crappy repair done by Cummins in Ft.Worth off I 35 W. They had literally crammed in a part till it cracked. This is hopefully the last system failure he will find. It has been one thing leading to another. To say I am miffed is putting it lightly. Our mechanic has had so many things go wrong with the ISX-12 500. But he keeps hanging in there working his way through each new problem that has come to the surface.
I have been following both threads on ISX engines, with great interest.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:33 PM   #63

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for the update on your ISX.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:16 AM   #64

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just got a message of a '13 Peterbuilt with an ISX that is rattling and blowing back through the intake. Not sure what ISX model/year it is yet.
Obviously this is a Class 8 truck in commercial use.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:39 AM   #65

Quote:

It's a useful tool.

If nothing else this and the other current ISX thread have made me take a really good, hard look at DP engines as in the next year or so I hope to move up from my Class C. The generous, sharing nature of our iRV2 users has already been a great help. Now I'm looking at coaches with other Cummins engines or, hopefully, Detroit Diesel 60 (great Detroit shop in my hometown).

While I don't have this ISX issue, with the help and information you, 08Nav and Lady Puffin have shared I hope to be posting positive feedback regarding the issues you all helped to avoid.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:13 PM   #66

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've contacted a couple Cummins shops and none can tell me if the carbon scraper liners and matching pistons are required. At $750 per cyl just for parts it would be nice to know before hand.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:45 PM   #67

Quote:
I've contacted a couple Cummins shops and none can tell me if the carbon scraper liners and matching pistons are required. At $750 per cyl just for parts it would be nice to know before hand.
If it's any help when they were repairing mine they had to replace piston and ring on #6.I did ask about other items while they were in there and they inspected everything. The carbon rings didn't come up, nor did any concern less #6. I would assume that issue is with heavy trucks lugging for miles on end.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:16 PM   #68

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The problem is that I've been told the carbon scraper liners and pistons are required in low use MH's. But others say they are needed in the hugh use Class 8 trucks.
So I'm still confused.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:27 AM   #69

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
The problem is that I've been told the carbon scraper liners and pistons are required in low use MH's. But others say they are needed in the high use Class 8 trucks.
So I'm still confused.
My question to Cummins:
Quote:
ISX 650 in a motorhome. Rebuilt at 19,000 and again at 54,000 for intake chordal failure #6 intake. Showing signs of needing new head and valves at 58,500.
How necessary are the carbon scraper liners and matching pistons? So far I have two dealers giving me opposing stories. One says it's necessary in low usage applications like motorhomes, the other says only needed in hard usage like Class 8 trucks. Planning on doing a preemptive valve and head replacement next month.
Answer from Cummins:
Quote:
Thank you for contacting Cummins. It is important for them to match. It will help prevent bore polish and elevated oil consumption. If equipped with a variable geometry turbocharger it will help with preventing the variable geometry turbocharger actuator sticking (fault code 2387). Have a great day.
Really doesn't answer the question as I already knew the liners and pistons needed to be matched. I hate to spend the extra $750+ per hole for just the parts but....
Old 12-14-2018, 12:25 PM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
Mr D, I've been thinking about your situation. I think you've been dealt a bad hand. The dealers you spoke to have given you their opinions that are not really based on facts.
Were the pistons and liners replaced at both 19,000 and 54,000 miles?

I think you need to tear into that engine with an open mind and a show me attitude. With the cylinder head off they can inspect the liners for scoring and scratches. Pay particular attention to #6. If there is scoring of the walls, then you should replace that piston and liner. This will be a big decision point IF only #6 (or even just one other cylinder) is scored. Now you must decide if you want to replace all the pistons, rings, and liners or just the one that is scored. If none of the walls are scored it's again a decision point. The cost will be more than just the parts because as you know labor is very expensive at the Cummins corporate shops.

It may be possible to remove the oil pan and view the liners from below. They will not be able to see the top 4" of the liner, but if the scoring is bad it will be visible. If everything is good this will have cost you some extra labor, but if any pistons need replacing then the pan removal was required anyway.

I hope this helps.

vito.a is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, problem, problems