RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-31-2018, 02:47 PM   #15

Has anyone had the DEF deletion performed on their 15 ISX ? Can the deletion be done on the engine ? If so , would this take care of the valve problem by eliminating DEF on possible old valves which I guess could still be in an engine with the SOHC ?
Thanks
Eldridge

dcleaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2019, 09:26 PM   #16

Is DEF deleation programming legal ?

Old 01-02-2019, 11:30 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcleaner View Post
Is DEF deleation programming legal ?
No.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:47 PM   #18

Mark D , I just got the serial number and build date for the ISX 15 in reqard to the valve problems.
Serial # 79495586
Build Date July 21 , 2011
Thanks for your help, hope this information will give me an idea about the possible problems or not. The Newmar in service date was August 25, 2012
Old 01-03-2019, 04:02 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
DEF is not the issue. The issue is the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) system is inducing acids into the engine. These acids are corroding the intake valves.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:32 PM   #20

You will be sorry if you buy a unit with an six. Try and find one with a Detroit s60
Ask any trucker about the six
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:33 PM   #21

Sorry phone auto corrected
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:06 PM   #22

Quote:
Mark D , I just got the serial number and build date for the ISX 15 in reqard to the valve problems.
Serial # 79495586
Build Date July 21 , 2011
Thanks for your help, hope this information will give me an idea about the possible problems or not. The Newmar in service date was August 25, 2012
You have the older material valve. I haven't read of any DEF type ISX having the valve issue but it may have happened. Like mentioned before the exhaust recirculation is the source. The system takes exhaust which is acidic and burns it a second time based on certain parameters.

I feel that Coaches that run long days may have a longer valve life. The ISX in a motorhome has the same internal components as a tractor trailer and they get 600k to 1 million before they would replace a head.

The failure is due to acid eroding the valve to failure. The new valve presumably is made from a material that is more acid resistant.

A new head is under 5k but the labor is a killer. My cost was 25k but I had a failure for I have a whole new #6 cylinder, turbo, EGR cooler etc.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:33 PM   #23

Had Methanol/water injection on our Essex with 500 ISM engine. After looking at the intake runners between for and after I was very surprised. The intake was black and lots of carbon in the intake and after running Methanol/Water injection from Snow it looked like a new engine. Could it be that this is the answer to the ISX intake valve problem? Would suggest someone might try it. We have a 18 LA with the X-15 so not here any issues yet will see what happens down the road.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:23 PM   #24

Just talked to Cummins rep. When I inquired about the valve problem he connected me to the Application Engineer. Well, he is on vacation. Back to the rep. And was told that there was a recall on the ISX 15 for emissions. This recall was issued on September 28 th. 2018 . They could not identify specific serial numbers so a large number of engines is under this recall. The engine in the MH that I am looking to purchase is included. He could not get me a copy of the Bulletin,you have to have an account. Anyone know how to get this bulletin ? He said it was an expensive recall but Cummins takes care of it.
Thanks,Eldridge
Old 01-04-2019, 05:14 PM   #25

Here are the two documents I have. One is Cummins the other is from an engine rebuild group and they give greater detail. Keep in mind a TSB is not a recall. A mfg. only need to do a recall if its safety related, I believe emissions falls under similar requirements. The USG requires certain length of warranty on emissions items.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TSB.pdf (208.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: pdf TB040318-2.pdf (1.15 MB, 16 views)
Old 01-04-2019, 05:16 PM   #26

https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/trucks...minsrecall.htm

looks like its DEF systems.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:58 PM   #27

When I talked to the rep. he looked up my serial number (79495586) and my engine family (CCEXH0921XAR) . He said it was covered under the recall which was issued 9/28/2018 thru 9/28/23. This is a replacement of the Catalyst unit. The rep. was aware of the valve problem but would not elaborate on the issue. Would this recall seem to be a step toward addressing the Chordal Malfunction problem or is this just another problem they are addressing? To sum up my concerns, I am trying to purchase a 2012 Newmar King Aire. The NRVIA inspection suggest that this is a very good unit. I want the unit but obviously not the possible engine problem. Offering $25000 to $45000 less for the unit should cover the engine problem . What are the odds that this engine will be ok ?
Thanks
Eldridge
Old 01-05-2019, 10:52 AM   #28

Quote:
When I talked to the rep. he looked up my serial number (79495586) and my engine family (CCEXH0921XAR) . He said it was covered under the recall which was issued 9/28/2018 thru 9/28/23. This is a replacement of the Catalyst unit. The rep. was aware of the valve problem but would not elaborate on the issue. Would this recall seem to be a step toward addressing the Chordal Malfunction problem or is this just another problem they are addressing? To sum up my concerns, I am trying to purchase a 2012 Newmar King Aire. The NRVIA inspection suggest that this is a very good unit. I want the unit but obviously not the possible engine problem. Offering $25000 to $45000 less for the unit should cover the engine problem . What are the odds that this engine will be ok ?
Thanks
Eldridge
I bought a 2011, I did the same thing you did. All my research showed the earlier ISX's had the issue 2006 ish. I called my local repair place and they said the only complaint they get from the ISX owners is the 250k mile maintenance interval. I called Cummins customer line, they had no feedback on the valve issue and told me that all components are the same on a commercial truck and an rv engine. I called local Cummins repair facility and they have never had any issues with valve failure.....

So I bought it, I did pay 30k under market. It was a repossession and needed a few cosmetic items addressed. I also purchased a comprehensive plan from US warranty. I want sure about it. Cost me $9,500 for 5 year 60k mile plan. Wasn't sure but what sold me was the simple piece of mind.

I am glad I got the plan. My engine ran perfect until it didn't. They paid for the tow and just under 18k of the repairs that cost 25k.

So if I was in your position I would buy it with a 25k buffer and possibly a warranty plan. Mr D will remind everyone it's a service contract which it is but let's use the common vernacular. One huge foot note is that my plan states no repairs related to a recall or TSB. US warranty mentioned the TSB but covered it, I assume it was due to the TSB saying it was due to extreme use.

You can drive it and if it fails you will need a new turbo, cylinder liner and piston, injector as well as added labor cleaning out the system. Or you can have it replaced with an updated head and control the costs and time to do it.

There is someone who is doing it before the failure on another thread, possibly see what his costs were. I would say 17k to 20k is what to expect, maybe less depending on shop. But if you do it, do it at a Cummins shop. You get a warranty on parts and labor, I had to use it after my rebuild for a few small leaks. Was easy as pie.