Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-20-2016, 12:40 PM   #1

Loss of Power

Ok here is a senecio that I need some adult guidance on.

I have a 450 hp ISL Cummings in my 2013 Entegra Coach. In the year I have owned it I have had no problems. But recently I have had a few issues. On flat roads it goes right on down the road. When I get into the mountains and start up a long grade I lose power and the "check engine" light comes on. So I put on my flashers and pull off the road when it is safe. After it sets for a few minutes it will start up and we continue up the grade until it happens again. When I returned home I put it in the shop to see what the problem was. After a few days they told me that the fuel pre-filter was restricted and they replaced it, at much expense for all the troubleshooting. They told me that the vacuum on the pre-filter was low and when they replaced it the vacuum as back to where it should be. So we are on our next trip and the same problem occurred while going up a long hill. When we returned home I replaced the pre-filter and the main fuel filter thinking that would fix the problem. Well on our next trip everything was going great until we got to the mountains and proceeded up a long grade and it happened again, lose of power and check engine light on again. Each time this happens we pull off the road and turn off the engine, let it set for a few minutes and it starts and we proceed until it happens again. After me replacing the per-filter the last time we drove less then 50 miles and it happened again.

Can anyone tell why this is happening and how to fix it?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2016, 12:46 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
you might check out these prior posts

https://www.google.com/search?q=isl+...om%2Fforums%2F

Old 10-20-2016, 12:50 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have you been able to empty out the diesel or have you completely used up the current tank and filled fresh from a known clean source. It looks like fuel contamination to me. You have a newer coach with low miles so mechanically if something went wrong you should be getting more engine codes. What was the code when you took it in for service?

If you haven't been able to empty the diesel, try that, just get it all out and fill with some fresh diesel. Change both fuel filters and then do a test run. Most power related problems on a diesel are fuel or turbo system related.
nukerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 08:06 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Can you see any signs of contamination in the filter, specifically algae. It could look like black stringy slime or balls. You may try changing the filter and taking one apart.

First time I change my filters after I bought the coach the top of the filter was almost completely plugged. I wasn't getting any engine warning or loss of power but would have eventually caused a problem.

I started using Biobor Algaecide which kills the algae. I now also use Startron Enzyme treatment which breaks the dead algae down so it will actually pass through the filter and be burned. I always add this brew to a full tank of fuel if I'm going to leave it parked for a length of time and try to leave the tank full to reduce condensation.

Good luck
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 12:03 PM   #5

nukerj, I have not been able to empty out all the fuel but since this issue started I have replaced the pre-filter 3 times and main filter once. I have filled the tank at least 5 or 6 times and driven about 1500 miles and again on flat roads no problem, it just occurres in the mountains on a long up hill grade.

jacwjames, I have a pre-filter at home that I replaced just before this trip. I will cut it open when we return and look for any signs as you describe.

Thank you both for your input.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:14 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Most times it is filters, but as said, it could be fuel...

Tags
loss of power, power