Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2016, 05:37 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Low oil pressure and check engine light

After running about 45 minutes had problem.
At highway speed oil pressure right in the middle.
Got off highway and came to a light and the oil pressure drop to bottom of gauge and then check engine light appeared. run throttle up to 1000 and oil pressure back and after a few seconds the light went out.

Oil level perfect. new oil and filter. could this be the start of a bad oil sump or worse??
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2016, 05:50 AM   #2

Could be a lot of things. New oil. Did the right weight oil get put in?

Could be the sending unit or gauge failing.

I would get an oil pressure gauge hooked up and see what my true psi is and go from there.

It might be as simple as your idle speed needs to be raised but I'm betting the wrong weight oil was put in sinse you mention "new oil"

good luck

pointrow
Old 09-24-2016, 05:53 AM   #3
Community Moderator

How do you know the check engine light is for low oil pressure? Could be something else.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 06:50 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I would get the pressure checked.

At highway speed, engine hot, I run about 55 psi. When I get off the highway and go to idle the pressure will drop to 19 psi, which is acceptable.

X2 on the type of oil that was put in, if possible confirm what was used.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 10:00 AM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
Since issue started right after oil/filter replacement you should Confirm correct oil filter as well. Cummins uses 15/40 oil.

Did you add correct amount of oil? Is dipstick marked properly?
..... which engine is it
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 02:38 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
Since issue started right after oil/filter replacement you should Confirm correct oil filter as well. Cummins uses 15/40 oil.

Did you add correct amount of oil? Is dipstick marked properly?
..... which engine is it
This engine light did not just occur but the low oil is relatively new. I only use 15-40 rottella and the proper baldwin filter. I am taking the MH to FL this week for a check on the codes and map the system
Old 09-25-2016, 06:06 PM   #7

.... which Cummins diesel is it? How much oil does it hold @ full?
Old 09-25-2016, 07:13 PM   #8

It could be a bad oil pressure sensor. That is a common problem

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:55 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
.... which Cummins diesel is it? How much oil does it hold @ full?
these pieces of data are found in my signature
99 36 FL Winne Chieftain 5.9 ISB Turbo Cummins DP
Old 09-26-2016, 07:30 AM   #10

Thanks, was not trying to be a smart a**... I use the mobile app and signatures don't show...

Was only going to add are you certain the engine is full of oil by how much you put in versus what dipstick says is full? Been many threads/posts here on dipstick marked incorrect.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:58 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks, was not trying to be a smart a**... I use the mobile app and signatures don't show...

Was only going to add are you certain the engine is full of oil by how much you put in versus what dipstick says is full? Been many threads/posts here on dipstick marked incorrect.
roger on the dipstick. I have converted my Transmission to synthetic several years ago and calibrated the eng. oil stick. I have changed the oil in the engine every year since 2010. It always uses 4 gallons plus the fill of the filter.

As for this low oil pressure. Many different forums have numerous threads on these very issue. It appears that this group of years for the ISB has an analog sending unit that goes berserk. CumminS stopped making the original replacement and now has an improved version which will only let me know if there is NO oil pressure. IDIOT LIGHT CONVERSION.

Now in there infinite wisdom, they provide part numbers for the new parts Which will also cost me a huge service bill to re-flash the ECM for the new part. so for all you ISB 24V turbo lovers here are the parts.
switch 4076930 14.57
harness 3164755 $20.00
Service charge 125.00 per hour minimum THREE HOURS.

WHAT A TOTAL SCREWING FOR THEIR MESS UP (NICE WORD) we all know the real word.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:25 PM   #12
TR4

Had my idiot light conversation done in July. Parts, labor to instal and re-flash at Cummins Pacific $805-. This is with everything removed for motor access.

Bend over!
Old 09-26-2016, 04:39 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4 View Post
Had my idiot light conversation done in July. Parts, labor to instal and re-flash at Cummins Pacific $805-. This is with everything removed for motor access.

Bend over!
Luckily Walmart is nearby so I can visit the pharmacy dept for a little LUBE.
The parts are cheap but labor well they get more than they should. I am go to a western star dealer so I will report what they charge. It should not be real expensive if the work takes only three hours I am hoping for not more than $500.

This is what happens when we drive on the WIRE and not linkages. I am also sure the NEW pressure SWITCH is something like a 72 chevy 5 lb oil pressure idiot switch. Cost at Advance is only $8.

I am getting another sending unit from Glowshift. After I get this conversion from cummins I plan to take it off, put in a Tee and install the glowshift pressure sender and reinstall the Cummins sensor. At my glowshift instrument gauge, I will install an AB switch so either turbo or oil pressure will be displayed on the dial readout. That way I will still have ability to see a real pressure readout of the oil.
Old 09-29-2016, 04:13 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Update on low oil

Well after much reading, on many forums,low oil pressure is the problem with the sending unit. Since Cummins no longer makes the analog voltage sending unit, they have in their infinite wisdom established a go around for a fix.
The fix is to replace the analog sender with a standard ON OFF sender, which goes directly to the ECM with another wire assembly and then re-flash the ECM.

Now the gauge always stays just the middle of the center and if there is no oil pressure it will drop to zero. Cost for parts $45 cost to do the labor at a Western Star dealer $440.00. now I have a modern digital sending ON - OFF

cost to find a replacement sender $276. Would it fail too = probably.

Tags
light, check engine light, engine