Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2016, 07:24 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Luber-Finer Filters?

Anyone use this brand? I did a little research and they are a multinational company that sells filters in Europe, Canada, and the USA. They sell filters for mining equipment and heavy duty diesel engines used in vehicles and stationary applications.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2016, 07:31 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Nope . . . I use nothing but OEM so I can't be denied warranty for not using correct filters
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:21 AM   #3

If I were running a fleet of trucks, I might consider a change. However, since I only change oil in my coach once per year, it's just not on my radar.
Plus, having been in the engine business for over fourty years, I can say the the guy who designed and built the engine is not about to use a sub par oil filter.

IMHO,
Old 08-01-2016, 11:22 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I was looking at one of their air filters, but I'd never heard of them before.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:09 PM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
Having been employed as a fleet manager, I've used luberfiner.....once on an entire fleet of 400 pieces of equipment. I never had a filter issue.
However, if you google anything long enough you'll find someone who has had an issue with any make of filter.

My preference was and always has been Fleetguard. I use them on everything from My riding mower, pick up, car and motorcoach. When bought in quality there's not a big price difference. I'd have no issue using a luberfiner though. More so an motorcoach air filter as mine is the sealed canister type $$$

The ONLY filter I'd say no way to is Fram. Once upon a time, they built a great product...then went to bed with Wal-mart and now build a price point filter......I have seen many of them fail.

BTW, there's only a few companies that build filters, Hasting, Fleetguard, Wix and Fram build the bulk of them for everybody. Many are built to OEM specs, many are not......

I also was employed by an OEM....you CANNOT be denied warranty for not using the manufacturers filter UNLESS they are supplying you the filters. Only by using a filter that doesn't meet OEM specs & many do, or at least claim to....lol
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:36 PM   #6

I replaced a Luber-Finer air filter element with a Fleetguard and wrote about it in this post.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:40 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Smith View Post
Nope . . . I use nothing but OEM so I can't be denied warranty for not using correct filters
Same here, not worth saving a couple $ to me!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:43 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
I also was employed by an OEM....you CANNOT be denied warranty for not using the manufacturers filter UNLESS they are supplying you the filters. Only by using a filter that doesn't meet OEM specs & many do, or at least claim to....lol
But they may make you take them to court to prove the filter was made to OEM specs. That will cost MUCH more than just using an OEM filter.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koop View Post
I replaced a Luber-Finer air filter element with a Fleetguard and wrote about it in this post.
Nice site btw....That's a nice write up, I have to admit I was prepared to read a Luber finer bash post, lol glad it all worked out
Old 08-01-2016, 08:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
But they may make you take them to court to prove the filter was made to OEM specs. That will cost MUCH more than just using an OEM filter.
You got these guys on your side.....

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ne-maintenance

ha-ha.......truthfully though showing the brand of filter you do use that claims to meet OEM specs moves the burden of proof to the filter mfg.

I was with a heavy truck and engine mfg. for over 20 years in a service / warranty position. I seen many, many engine components fail. Not one time did the mfg say "denied" due to filter....

However, I'm with you. All those years working for a OEM......I'm big on OEM filter AND replacement parts.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:03 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post

So all the manufacturer has to say is "sorry that filter does not meet our specs warranty denied" then it is up to you to prove it does meet specs.

I don't need to take that chance.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:48 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I tend to use OEM filters for my vehicles, but has anyone ever heard of an engine failure caused by using a quality after market filter? I see lots of posts about how bad Fram, Wix or whatever filter is, but I've gotten good service from Fram and Wix filters. In reality, filters are like tires, there are only a handful of actual filter manufacturers in the world.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:58 AM   #13

I spent 36 years working in a few different large municipiality heavy equipment shops.

We used what ever brand filter that was the low bidder, in that year. We serviced hundreds of autos, trucks and heavy machines.

The only oil related failures, we ever experienced, were due to lack of it. Most times they was due to operator or mechanic error.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:24 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Our Freightliner shop here used LubeFiner oil filters. I did use for 1 oil change on my ISB with no problems. Otherwise, always used Fleetguard filters.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote