Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2012, 11:59 PM   #1

mp-8

I was wondering if anybody with a cummins has installed a TP MP-8 to get better performance? I would like to here how well it works. Thanks Tim
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2012, 09:13 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Beyond your expectations........deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:53 PM   #3

mp-8

deSanford, thanks for you response. Canyou be specific with your results?
How do you like your cayman? I saw oe at the dealer by us last year, it was very nice. Thanks again Tim
Old 04-03-2012, 08:39 AM   #4

I put an MP-8 on my Cummins 140k miles ago...still going strong. It will increase HP, Torque, any increase in fuel economy will depend on how you drive.

Regards
Gemstone
Old 09-23-2012, 11:12 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
wetdog, on my ISB340 6.7L I doubled the mileage 6-7mpg to 14.7-16.2mpg. Had to change the TCM from 67mph in 6th gear (cruise & ECON) to 55mph for 6th gear cruise ECON. HUGE difference.....have to increase rail pressure per kit instructions. This is all verified by my Scan Gauge "D". deSanford
Old 09-24-2012, 04:43 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
I out one on a good while back on my ISC (2006 model). Performance is very much improved. Flip for the optional cable of 40' so you can controll the unit from the drivers seat. Take offs are more responsive, hills I hardly ever need another gear, have not seen much in fuel economy. I drive at 60mph and I have gone from Oregon to NY since July. Mount the unit with the plug in the down position as water from heavy rain will stall you out, happened to me twice before I figured out the problem. My was just plug it in and drive. You will need to unhook your batteries after installation to reset but that is it.
friendshipg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:34 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
? seems strange that a $400. device will give approx. the same increases of a $3,000 Banks kit
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:37 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I installed a TS Performance Power Play MP-8 Module on my Cummins ISC 350HP with the CAPS fuel system before leaving Alaska last Monday.

After three days of problems, I finally turned it off putting the engine back to its normal operating condition.

I have emailed TS Performance with a description of the problems but they seem to ignore my emails. I guess once I get to the lower 48 I will give them a call directly to see why this thing is basically a POS and a waste of money.

This is what happened.

Based on other users, I dialed in a setting of 7-8 for the control based on a scale of 0-10. After starting the engine, when pulling away from a dead stop, the first thing I noticed was lack of power. The second thing I noticed was my Engine Warning dash light would blink on occasionally. The third thing I noticed was my normal high boost level had been reduced by at least 3 units. I was getting over 24 units of boost without the MP-8 and with it I was only getting about 21. With this thing in use, I would not EVER think about trying to pass someone. It just doesn't have the get up and go anymore.

Truthfully, the MP-8 module felt like it had de-rated my engines performance versus increasing the performance as they advertise. Needless to say, I now have a $400 box sitting in my engine compartment turned off.

I am still waiting to hear back from TS Performance as to what they suggest might be the problem.

I would think long and hard before sinking that much money into this Magic Box.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:17 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Richard,

The symptoms sound familiar. Did you disconnect the battery to reset the ECM after installing the MP8? That has helped others in a similar situation with the MP8.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:01 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
What SVTotem said Richard.........deSanford
Old 09-26-2012, 08:59 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTotem View Post
Richard,

The symptoms sound familiar. Did you disconnect the battery to reset the ECM after installing the MP8? That has helped others in a similar situation with the MP8.
Actually that had been done unknowingly but it was NOT stated in the installation manual as a requirement.

The same day I had the Cummins shop install the harness for me, I stopped at the Fairbanks Alaska Sam's Club to have a new 8D chassis battery installed. Therefore, the ECM has been reset even without knowing it had to be done.

However, is it possible that the roof-top solar panel was continuing to fully power the ECM even though the chassis battery had been removed at the time?

I still have not received anything from TS Performance. So much for THEIR customer service!!!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post

However, is it possible that the roof-top solar panel was continuing to fully power the ECM even though the chassis battery had been removed at the time?
Dr4Film ----- Richard
It is very unlikely that the solar panel would keep voltage on the system with the positive and ground battery terminals removed. If the solar panels use their own ground then it might be possible that they kept voltage on the system. It would be easy to check with a voltmeter.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:13 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
wetdog, on my ISB340 6.7L I doubled the mileage 6-7mpg to 14.7-16.2mpg. Had to change the TCM from 67mph in 6th gear (cruise & ECON) to 55mph for 6th gear cruise ECON. HUGE difference.....have to increase rail pressure per kit instructions. This is all verified by my Scan Gauge "D". deSanford
I am interested in these upgrades.

If you would, please tell us what the total costs of these were.

Thanks
Old 11-10-2012, 08:16 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
bukzin the Scan Gauge "D" $152.00 Camping World Ore. NO sales tax. Google the MP-8 for your BEST price. I learned after I got such GREAT MPG that I have to calibrate the Scan Gauge "D" to my engine after I installed the MP-8. Working on that now .......MPG is less I'm sure. deSanford