Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2013, 06:09 AM   #1

Muffler on Cummins ISC

I am considering purchasing a 2001 American Coach with an 8.3L Cummins ISC 330 hp and found that the muffler has a hole in the bottom of it and exhaust is escaping. The exhaust pipe looks good otherwise.

Has anyone replaced one of these? Can the rest of the system be saved or does it all have to go, and what did it cost? Should I consider an aftermarket muffler or go with the OEM version?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2013, 06:19 AM   #2

I'd definitely look at the Aeroturbine unit. I replaced the one on my ISB. All I replaced was the elbow from the turbo, muffler and a new piece of pipe out the back. Your installation may vary but I think it cost me around $300 for all of it. Sounds nice too.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robar View Post
I am considering purchasing a 2001 American Coach with an 8.3L Cummins ISC 330 hp and found that the muffler has a hole in the bottom of it and exhaust is escaping. The exhaust pipe looks good otherwise.

Has anyone replaced one of these? Can the rest of the system be saved or does it all have to go, and what did it cost? Should I consider an aftermarket muffler or go with the OEM version?
You can replace the muffler only. There is an OEM muffler that the chassis manufacture Spartan or Freightliner would likely be able to supply. Requires no modification.
Or, you can get an aftermarket that will be different dimensions and will require some modification to the mounting bracket. It is said that it improves fuel economy and HP but I personally don't buy it.

As far as the rest of the system, have a close look at it. When I did mine, the pipe off the Turbo was rusted out and the Exhaust Brake Valve was seized up. The hole in the muffler was just the obvious.
All the exhaust parts were less than $600. I just cleaned and repaired the Exhaust Valve while I had it apart.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:31 PM   #4

Replaced the muffler in our MH last summer. No one here in AK had one so I ordered one from Summit racing, along with new band clamps. Lots of room to work and the change out was OK. Had very good service from Summit and the price was in the ball park of what I expected.
I was able to just replace the muffler as the rest of the piping was good. Expect to get dirty though with lots of rust flakes getting on you.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #5
D M

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi Robar I replaced my muffler last year with a aero muffler that I bought on eBay it was easy to install and looks good and sounds great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1682
Size:	250.1 KB
ID:	33489  
D M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by D M View Post
Hi Robar I replaced my muffler last year with a aero muffler that I bought on eBay it was easy to install and looks good and sounds great.
Nice install, looks great. Did it improve HP and or Fuel Mileage? As stated above, I have been told this happens but I don't buy it.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:42 PM   #7
D M

Tiffin Owners Club
Dennis I think it helped on both hp and mpg hard to tell. The last trip I took to the ORE coast pulling a car I got 9.75 mpg but the speed is 55 mph. But it sounds good. The wife even likes the sound it sounds more Manley. And the chicks dig it!
D M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by D M View Post
Dennis I think it helped on both hp and mpg hard to tell. The last trip I took to the ORE coast pulling a car I got 9.75 mpg but the speed is 55 mph. But it sounds good. The wife even likes the sound it sounds more Manley. And the chicks dig it!
Right,
Well, better fuel mileage is always a good thing but having to beat the chicks off the back ladder when we stop would be a little overwhelming.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:30 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I changed out my stock muffler with one from Banks that I bought from Summit Racing on line.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/gbe-53801
The installation was straight forward as it was the same length as stock. Make sure your exhaust pipe from the turbo is 4 inch as some of the older units came with a 3 in exhaust an upgrade to 4 in is available. The good thing is I don’t think I will ever have to replace the muffler again. The bad news is when I had the muffler out I spent about 5 hours cleaning and painting the area that is hidden by the muffler. The back of the battery racks and any thing that looked like it needed paint. I haven’t been on a long trip so I don’t know if my mileage has improved. I am getting 8.5 towing a Honda Civic on a tow dolly.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:06 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
When I purchased our 2003 Dynasty with the ISL400 engine in 2007, I noticed that the previous owner must have drug at some point in time and broke the small hanger that connected the 90 degree elbow from the downpipe to the muffler inlet. While I was under the coach fabricating a new hanger I got to looking at this huge, ugly and heavy muffler that Monaco (Roadmaster) installed on the coach. I started noticing all of the hear tracers on the muffler and thought how restrictive it looked.

I had several friends/relatives that had diesel coaches and they kept telling me to remove the muffler and run a straight pipe. I am not a fan of that as one, I don't think you get the gain that people think, and two, I don't like the loud droning sound that is produced without a muffler.

I did some research and ended up purchasing and installing a Dynomax 5" inlet/outlet muffler that I obtained from Summit Racing for around $100.00. Installation took a bit because while I was installing the muffler I also decided to snug the exhaust up a little tighter to the chassis and change the exit of the exhaust from the side of the coach. I ended up fabricating a completely new exhaust system from the turbo to the exit.

I love the sound it has and have gotten several compliments as I have pulled through campgrounds as to the exhaust sound, yet while driving down the road it is not noticeable.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:24 AM   #11

I also went with the Banks muffler from Summit even though it is made for the 5.9 Cummins and I have an 8.3L ISC.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/gbe-53801

The installation was pretty easy as the new piece is the same length and has the same inlet/outlet as the stock one. I had to do something with the hangers but that is not a big deal. It looks great.

Haven't had it out yet but was wondering if anyone else had tried this on the larger engine. I couldn't get Summit to state that it was ok to use it, but I checked with someone from performance truck parts and they said that all of these aftermarket mufflers are straight through, so he couldn't see how they wouldn't work on a larger displacement engine. He was right, you can look right through the Banks muffler.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:29 PM   #12

Foretravel Owners Club
Having worked larger engines, such as truck etc all mu working life, when I purchased my new to me 2001 Foretravel 5 years ago, it has the ISM450 engine, I replaced the Cowl muffler with a Walker Resonator, and bingo, right off, it was very clear that it was much more power, as the turbo can spin up faster with so much less back pressure etc..
You can buy the fancy and costly chromed jobers, but me I just want it to run sweet. Now I have also up graded the ISM from the 450 hp @ 1450 torque, to the newer 500 hp @ 1550 torque. yes, it jumps just dandy, as for fuel burn, I am certain it would get better fuel mileage, however it is so hard to keep my foot out of it, that the fuel mileage is the same, it just runs quicker.
Dave M
Genset is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins