Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2014, 04:15 PM   #1

Mysterious Alarm

I'm storing a friends 2004 Holiday Rambler with a cummins 330. The engine starts fine and idles as it should but when the transmission is in Drive or Reverse an alarm sounds. The alarm silences when the transmission is shifted back to neutral. All gages are reading normal.....air pressure good, levelers/jacks are in the up position, slides are in. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Big Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2014, 04:30 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Welcome to irv2. I've moved your thread here to get more exposure to your issue.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:52 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
The common causes for that alarm are:
jack reservoir low making it think jacks are down
tv antenna up
parking brake on (or switch on parking brake stuck making it *think* the brake is on)
Old 01-15-2014, 11:42 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Stick a long 2x4 under each jack and pull up to see if one of the levelers is down a little bit. It only takes a jack being down a 1/4 inch on my rig to set the alarm off.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:38 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Big Brent....on most coaches, the alarm is caused by jack fluid being low or a jack down. On Monaco's, it's the air pressure switch on the bottom of the parking brake shaft. To test for this, start the coach, put it in gear and release the parking brake. If the alarm sounds, press down fast and firmly on the parking brake. The switch is on the bottom of the parking brake shaft that you're pressing on. It's about the size of your thumb and can be seen by removing the side panel near the driver's left leg. Look at the parking brake and at the end of the shaft you'll see a bronze switch with an airline and two wire plug attached. They are no hard to replace, they just take some effort to get to.

The part has MANY versions so it's almost impossible to by the correct version from the manufacturer (Nason). If you call Monaco with your 6 digit coach number, they will provide you with the correct switch for about $55.00 including shipping.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:47 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brent View Post
I'm storing a friends 2004 Holiday Rambler with a cummins 330. The engine starts fine and idles as it should but when the transmission is in Drive or Reverse an alarm sounds. The alarm silences when the transmission is shifted back to neutral. All gages are reading normal.....air pressure good, levelers/jacks are in the up position, slides are in. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Brent,
When you put the transmission into gear, did you release the parking brake?? My coach will sound an alarm until I release the parking brake...
Old 01-20-2014, 03:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth01 View Post
Brent, When you put the transmission into gear, did you release the parking brake?? My coach will sound an alarm until I release the parking brake...
Yes, however I was able to take the coach out for a drive yesterday, after about 5 mins of driving the alarm stopped. After some start & stops, I discovered exactly what you described. Everything appears to be fine now......I guess the switch was hung up after sitting for several weeks. Thanks for all the help.
Big Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:25 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Add one more thing to what tquarles sez: On my Winnebago, an alarm will also sound if the tranny is put in gear and the air is still building pressure. \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote