Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2014, 08:45 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
New lift pump for my 2001 5.9 ISB

All 1998.5-2002 Cummins powered Dodges (And all of them so far as I know.) came with a wimpy Carter pump, I replaced my factory one with the "Improved" pump, a carter also, but still saw 5PSI at idle and 0-1 under a load. No bueno, the VP44 pump quits feeding the engine and uses the fuel it gets to lube itself. The result is the engine lays over and loses power. It's been this way for all the 11 years I've owned the truck. It runs well, pulls great, but climbing a hill it would start laying down and the turbo would get quiet. It was simply running out of fuel. The pressure gauge confirmed it.

Today, I decided to fix it before it cost me a pricey VP44 pump and a big tow bill off the side of the road.

I installed an Airdog FRRP-100 pump today. It bolts into the stock location, comes with the hardware necessary to connect from the pump to the filter and minus the time I spent screwing around with not one but all three of the factory pump screws that decided to stay in the pump bracket was a quick install.

I went to purge the air out by bumping the starter and.........nothing.

For those that don't know, if you bump the starter that causes the ECM to run the pump for 30 seconds or so. Key off, bump again, another 30 seconds. It pushes the air through.

I did it again, ran around and listened. Nothing. The factory pump can wake the dead, this is stone silent. Couple of more tries, I decide to start the engine. It ran for 15 seconds and shut down. Now I get my wife to assist me.

Test light in hand I climb up on the engine ready to confirm power to the pump when I decide to have her bump the starter. I put my hand on the pump and I can feel it running. Hmm, she primes it again, I can hear gurgling out of the injector pump. I tell her to spin it over and in about 15 seconds it fired, surged a bit clearing the lines, and was smooth after that.

Shut down, check for leaks, none. Bump the starter again, still silent. I'm astonished at how quiet it is.

Now we're running a crisp 16PSI through the range, full power, turbo wailing, it arches up and just pulls. The VP44 is set to regulate pressure between 14-16PSI so I'm going to leave it alone.

I'm really anxious for the dealer to finish up my warranty work, I'm dying for a test pull now!

$299 at Summit racing, $20 fuel filter, about an hour of my time. I'm ashamed I waited this long to fix it and I wholeheartedly recommend you do the same if you have this engine or more specifically, that crappy little Carter pump.

http://www.summitracing.com/ga/parts/pad-r3sbd100
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2014, 08:54 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
good writeup. Just changed my lift pump and tested it over a 3500 mile trip. I used a stock Cummins pump from the Cummins dealer and it works fine. Initially before the change I was running about 6 psi under load and got worried and changed it. Now it runs about 12. Installed a Westec gage from Genos to give a front panel reading of pressure.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:59 PM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Good to hear it sounds like they improved it again. My factory pump produced the same numbers, 5PSI at idle, 0-1 under load. I replaced the pump and it started out 5PSI at idle but only dropped to about 3PSI under load. That was 10 years ago too. Last fall I checked it and it was 0-1 under load.

I forgot to mention that the replacement pump came from Cummins. I'll bet the VP44 pumps you hear about failing would happen a lot less often had the lift pumps been better originally.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:06 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sknight View Post
Good to hear it sounds like they improved it again. My factory pump produced the same numbers, 5PSI at idle, 0-1 under load. I replaced the pump and it started out 5PSI at idle but only dropped to about 3PSI under load. That was 10 years ago too. Last fall I checked it and it was 0-1 under load.

If you get a signin at the Cummins quickserve site you can under parts get all the part numbers from way back.

I wanted to keep it stock because I didn't want to risk damage to the VP. I am keeping the old pump as a spare just in case I get stuck on the road. this was the original pump and it was difficult to remove. but I'm glad I changed it.

Tom
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Old 07-29-2014, 09:59 PM   #5

Appalachian Campers
Interesting, I might have to look into that.

Going back stock is what appeals to me with this pump. It retains the stock inlet line, doesn't modify the mount or filter housing with it's new line so you can toss a stock pump on and keep rolling. I'll keep one around just in case.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:14 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There are other options such as Fass Pumps made especially for the ISB. I seriously considered one of these so I could mount it on the frame and be more accessible, But decided to buy the latest pump from Cummins. My engine is electronic 24V with stock electric pump.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Old 07-30-2014, 09:30 AM   #7

14 years of Dodge/Cummins repairs , and the location of the factory 12v. pump always bothered me. Electric pumps don't like heat and vibration, and push better that they pull, fuel; so the side of the engine was not the spot to put the pump. Took the " engineers " 7 years and countless failures to figure it out, in 2005 they moved the pump back and submerged it in the tank, and issued , relocation kits as replacement for the 98>04 trucks with failures.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:57 AM   #8

Appalachian Campers
I think the engine mounted pump harkens back to the stationary mounted need, that's why the pedal sensor is mounted to the engine and cable driven instead of mounted inside out of the weather. Set it on a stand, it needs a fuel line and 12V to run.

I think I'll look into the relocation kit, which didn't come up during my research unfortunately. I plan on keeping this truck at least 5-8 more years, might as well be prepared!

You wouldn't happen to have the part number for the relocation kit would you?
Old 07-30-2014, 10:19 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Need to clarify what I wrote. I have a 24 Valve electronic engine with a 12Volt pump. Sorry!
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Old 07-30-2014, 08:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknight View Post
You wouldn't happen to have the part number for the relocation kit would you?
Sorry, retired 7 years ago , still smell of diesel according to the DW.
From what I remember, the original lift pump P/N was changed up to the kit P/N. Included a tank module with pump, fittings for by-pass of original location, and all the related wiring.
What I can't say is if, this was a Canada only kit. Lift pump failure rate was excessive, and covered by 7 year warranty, perhaps Chrysler Canada decided it was time, for a real fix to the problem. Moved from the city where I worked and no local Chrysler dealer here so I can't check.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:06 PM   #11

Appalachian Campers
No worries and thanks for the info. I'll look into it and see what I can find out, I've got time.

I took her out for a real test drive tonight, she runs like someone's shooting at us now. I can't wait to hook the trailer up and see how it pulls.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:13 AM   #12

In my first post I should have mentioned that there were different kits, by truck year, mostly the differences are the fittings to by-pass the different pump mount on the, 02>05, common rail engines, and the electrical connections.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:12 AM   #13

Rexhall Owners Group
Always carried a spare lift pump, Airdog FFRP as I did intend to replace the stock pump for one with higher fuel delivery pressure and greater reliability. On a trip back from northern California, lost the stock lift pump, indicated by a low pressure light that I had just installed. Changed it on the road with out any issues. One of the reasons for going with the higher rated pressure pump was the increased flow which aided in the electronic fuel pump running cooler as heat was an issue with the injection pumps. Got mine from the folks at Blue Chip Diesel.

Martin
Old 08-30-2014, 08:45 PM   #14

I recently put a new cummins lift pump in my motorhome and I am only getting 11psi at idle and 8psi under a load. I put a digital gauge in and watch it like its my job. But I feel like it should be more than 8psi under a load.
camping fam is offline   Reply With Quote