Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2019, 06:51 AM   #1

New Water Pump - Cummings Orlando

Last May, I had a developing leak near the water pump. I had a mobile mechanic out of Niceville, Florida diagnose the issue as a leaking water pump. He replaced it and ran up to Atl. Noticed a faint smell of coolant but did not see any leakage on the ground. Drove it back down to Orlando and noticed a leak again! It's at Cummings Orlando and they say its dripping from the weep hole and I need another Waterpump. Say its restricted access and quoted me 1200 to correct it.

It's a rear radiator ISB 340. Does anyone know how a pump could fail so quickly? I think the mechanic did install a Carquest pump as I see the other parts he used for filters were from there. I cannot get him to return my calls after our first conversation and he claims he has never seen a new pump fail that quickly in his 15-year experience. Is it possible for another leak to appear it's coming from the weep hole or did I just have bad workmanship or a bad pump? Feeling Frustrated in Florida! Thanks for any suggestions!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2019, 11:32 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We would have to remove the pump and take it apart to see where it failed.
I think at this point you have no choice but to replace the leaking pump. Just make sure the next new pump is a quality part with a good warranty.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:36 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by deasnealy View Post
Last May, I had a developing leak near the water pump. I had a mobile mechanic out of Niceville, Florida diagnose the issue as a leaking water pump. He replaced it and ran up to Atl. Noticed a faint smell of coolant but did not see any leakage on the ground. Drove it back down to Orlando and noticed a leak again! It's at Cummings Orlando and they say its dripping from the weep hole and I need another Waterpump. Say its restricted access and quoted me 1200 to correct it.

It's a rear radiator ISB 340. Does anyone know how a pump could fail so quickly? I think the mechanic did install a Carquest pump as I see the other parts he used for filters were from there. I cannot get him to return my calls after our first conversation and he claims he has never seen a new pump fail that quickly in his 15-year experience. Is it possible for another leak to appear it's coming from the weep hole or did I just have bad workmanship or a bad pump? Feeling Frustrated in Florida! Thanks for any suggestions!
Several years ago I had the same problem a Leaking Water Pump.

The water pump started leaking about 30 days after it was put in. I had been charged for a new water pump but found out by accident from talking to the mechanic that was changing the oil in my Truck that he put in a rebuilt and charged me for a new one. But also the owner of the shop told me it was the freeze plug that was being the Timing Chain Cover that was leaking. He must have thought I fell off of a Turnip Truck. Because Ford never put freeze plugs behind the timing chain cover in all of the years they used that engine.
The worst part was I had trusted this shop. And no one knows for sure just how much repairs I had paid for that were not needed.
So bottom line and this is just my opinion, if this mechanic won't call you back and or gives you a "Cock and Bull Storie" or "Song and Dance" I would say take your money and run!

Sorry for the long rant, but your dilemma just struck a never. I wish you and yours luck and safe travels.
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:56 PM   #4

Thanks. I guess I lost some money. I new I should have waited but thought it might have gotten worse. I have asked him if he would replace under warranty. He picked the part. My guess is I am getting crickets. What happened to people standing behind their service and business!
Old 01-10-2019, 03:22 PM   #5

Hi again Deas; There have been some problems with a freeze plug that is right below the water pump. This has happened on older Cummin's engines. Sometimes it is internal corrosion or external because dirt can build up on the depression of the freeze plug and rust. Sometimes it is mistaken for a water pump leak. Make sure the mechanic is using a small mirror and looking up behind the water pump pully directly at the weep hole to make sure that is where it is leaking. Try using the search box at the top right of this page for, problems with mistaken water pump leaks on Cummin's ISB and ISC engines, and see what you find. Cummin's says you have to remove the timing gear cover to replace the freeze plug, but an owner showed with pictures of how he did the replacement himself without removing the timing gear cover. Very labor intensive if they have to remove the gear cover. Not sure if this is your problem, hope not, but I have see new pumps leak after 1K miles. Just cheap parts. Hope you find this info useful. I cleaned all the dirt out of the freeze plug below the water pump on my 01 ISC and it was just starting to rust. Cleaned it up and applied paint to the freeze plug so it would not rust anymore. I have the side radiator so this is an easy see. I know yours it not easy to look at so I hope the mechanic can get this right!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:37 PM   #6

Thanks. My rig is only 2010. I specifically asked the Cummings to consider a Freeze plug. They pressure tested and said its definitely coming from the weep hole. Hope they are right.

Tags
water