Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2012, 03:32 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Oil Analysis

Just received my oil analysis. Any thoughts? About 7k miles on oil.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Oilanalysis.pdf (94.3 KB, 282 views)
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2012, 04:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
When you send in an oil sample be sure to give ALL the information required on the sample data card. Type of oil is important so the lab has the new oil to compare the sample to. Also, this lab is doing a very basic report. Suggest using a lab that does a more comprehensive sample. IE TAN/TBN
From what I see, there are no outstanding issues for 7K but as with any fluid analysis, it is a matter of trending. Suggest another sample be taken in 2-3K miles to begin a trend. Iron looks a little high to me but keep an eye on it at the next sample. Iron is typically liner wear.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Any thoughts? About 7k miles on oil.
It looks OK, from what I can tell. Looks like a OAI(Polaris) report, but you need to spend a little more $ so as to get a more complete picture.

Pre-pay for their kits from Amsoil, and for $25 total, also get TBN, Oxidation, and Nitration #s.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #4

You are good to go- almost no wear except iron which goes up as mileage goes up.
You must have a bypass filter and are using Delvac 1300 oil.
Run that oil for 5k more miles and recheck.
sjholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks to all!

I cheaped out and bought the basic kit w/o TAN/TBN. I didn't remember what brand the oil was so I did not include it. My local supplier has Delvac so that is what I will be using in the future. It also had a NAPA filter on it which I replaced with a Cummins filter, I will want particle size next time also.

So is the iron a function of miles on oil or miles on engine?
Old 09-09-2012, 08:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Thanks to all!

I cheaped out and bought the basic kit w/o TAN/TBN. I didn't remember what brand the oil was so I did not include it. My local supplier has Delvac so that is what I will be using in the future. It also had a NAPA filter on it which I replaced with a Cummins filter, I will want particle size next time also.

A little of both.

The iron count is OK or the Lab would have flagged it.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks to all!

Judging from the used viscosity, you did not run this oil change for very long. Typical used viscosity for a 15W40 would show around 14 on the vis scale. A long run would show used vis at 15 or higher.

Used TBN is of great value, if you are planning on extending drain intervals. The drain intervals are optimized to give you a used oil TBN of 50% of new TBN. The bottom for Cummins on TBN is 2.0.

Particle counting used diesel oil is at best a crap shoot. Particle counting is done by shooting an energy beam into the oil and measuring reflectance off particles. The problem with this is that soot particles also reflect hence wear particles are miscounted. One way to get around this is to dilute the sample with solvent.....then you dilute the accuracy as well. Particle counting works well with your transmission fluid. And you should do that on a trans oil analysis.

If you are using Polaris Labs analysis, you can buy direct from them. See their website at Oil Analysis, Coolant Analysis, Fuel Analysis, Metalworking Fluid Analysis, Fuel Testing, Oil Testing, Coolant Testing — POLARIS Laboratories®
spike45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:20 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I bought a 3 pack kit from JG Lubricants (on sale right now if you use "Fall Fling" in the coupon code). Was going to take a sample to send in today but ran out of time (needed to go to work!).
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:35 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike45 View Post
Judging from the used viscosity, you did not run this oil change for very long. Typical used viscosity for a 15W40 would show around 14 on the vis scale. A long run would show used vis at 15 or higher.

Used TBN is of great value, if you are planning on extending drain intervals. The drain intervals are optimized to give you a used oil TBN of 50% of new TBN. The bottom for Cummins on TBN is 2.0.

Particle counting used diesel oil is at best a crap shoot. Particle counting is done by shooting an energy beam into the oil and measuring reflectance off particles. The problem with this is that soot particles also reflect hence wear particles are miscounted. One way to get around this is to dilute the sample with solvent.....then you dilute the accuracy as well. Particle counting works well with your transmission fluid. And you should do that on a trans oil analysis.

If you are using Polaris Labs analysis, you can buy direct from them. See their website at Oil Analysis, Coolant Analysis, Fuel Analysis, Metalworking Fluid Analysis, Fuel Testing, Oil Testing, Coolant Testing — POLARIS Laboratories®
I used JG. Oil had 7K miles and 10 months, thanks for tip on particle count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I bought a 3 pack kit from JG Lubricants (on sale right now if you use "Fall Fling" in the coupon code). Was going to take a sample to send in today but ran out of time (needed to go to work!).
Old 09-17-2012, 03:01 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Took the sample as per the instructions, went to enter the info over the Internet and can't get the input form to show. Sent an email to the site over the weekend but no answer yet.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:26 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I use Caterpilar Equipment Fluid analysis labs for my samples. I buy the kits from the dealer, take the sample but then when I get the results I go in and talk to the local service manager about my analysis. He is looking at these reports on a daily basis and understands the meaning far better than I do. He has been very helpful. Also as others have stated it's trend over several oil analysis that is most useful. BTW I have a 8.3 Cummins with an Allison. I take samples from both when I service the engine.
Ohio CAT: Fluids Analysis Lab
Stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
I use Caterpilar Equipment Fluid analysis labs for my samples. I buy the kits from the dealer, take the sample but then when I get the results I go in and talk to the local service manager about my analysis. He is looking at these reports on a daily basis and understands the meaning far better than I do. He has been very helpful. Also as others have stated it's trend over several oil analysis that is most useful. BTW I have a 8.3 Cummins with an Allison. I take samples from both when I service the engine.
Ohio CAT: Fluids Analysis Lab
Thanks, it looks like there is one nearby.