RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:12 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
I have almost all of my own oil changes, since the dealer screwed up the first one. I use Rotella 15-40 in the engine, Rotella 15-40 in the genset. I have read a number of spec sheets, and feedback from users, and all have not had any issues.
I am sure the other brands are as good, but I like rotella.

Okrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2009, 02:40 PM   #16

For those that seem to have a problem with additives, here is a link on the Yenko site for zinc in oil. Yenko.......that name should ring a bell with anyone that has been in racing or hot rodding.

As a note I tried to cut and paste this last night but it would not take. Please take the time to read the whole post as this will answer most all of your questions on zinc additives.

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/show...4/Main/253646/

Old 03-10-2009, 02:56 PM   #17

The first (and frankly only) item of oil concern is to make absolutely certain that you use the engine manufacturer's minimum API service designation. Just choosing a brand of oil may not provide the correct service class.

More info from the API horses mouth http://www.api.org/

Generally speaking, engine manufacturers will shun the use of any and all additional additives - check with your engine manufacturer first.

It is also a good idea to monitor what's going on inside you engine with a low cost oil testing regime at each change. One source with superb plain English analysis and only about $23 cost and a free sample mailing kit is http://www.blackstone-labs.com/
Old 03-11-2009, 07:44 PM   #18

Contrary to one of the posters promoting an additive today's oils are very high tech. Use a good name brand that meets the spec of your engine mfr. I doubt any of us will ever have an engine problem caused by one of those oils. Additives are a waste of money. The big truck fleets who put millions of miles on their units do not use any "magic" ingredients. Nor will I.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:41 PM   #19

Just FYI, Valvoline Blue and Cummins oil are one and the same. Cummins markets their own oil brand but it is Valvoline made for Cummins under license. There are really no bad oils as long as they meet specs. Using additives with modern oils is a waste of time and money, the chemistery of modern oils is way above what any additives can provide regardless of the advertising. Think about what advertising really is, a means to convince you to buy a product you probably don't need, at a price you can't afford, and will probably never use. Also, changing oil brands won't hurt a thing, that is an old wives tale from the days of crude manufacturing processes. If the oils meet specs, they will be compatible. The single most important thing is change your oil on a regular basis and use the proper grade for your conditions.
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:56 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Delo 400LE in engine, Onan in GenSet.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:22 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

I'd be careful about using additives in any of the 2008 or later diesel engines that use Diesel Particulate Filters. The DPFs require API CJ-4 oil. Earlier engines can use API CI-4 or API CJ-4. The CJ-4 oils do indeed have reduced levels of zinc as well as other elements. However, this was done to prevent fouling of the very expensive DPF units. The DPF is much like a catalytic converter and tests found that the CI-4 oils would leave deposits in the DPF. By reducing these levels in the CJ-4 oils compatability was obtained with the new emissions systems. Supposedly they've improved the oils in other ways to compensate for the lesser amounts of the anti-wear zinc now present but we all know how that can go. Adding those missing anti-wear elements back in the form of an additive might negatively impact the life of your Diesel Particulate Filter, which is very expensive.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 04:53 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
I was told by a service person that "low ash oils" are suggested for the newer diesel engines 2007 and later. The catalytic converter (Diesel particulate filter?) could be fouled otherwise, and might only last 30-40,000 miles if regular oil was used. Is API CJ-4 the same thing as low ash oil?
Steve Larkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:32 PM   #23

Check your engine manual for the API service designation. This is the industry standard for oil grades and is the only guide you need to using the correct oil for you specific engine. Most newer big diesels will probably say API CJ-4.

See cruzer's response above. Just look for the API label on your favorite brand of oil - it's the circle about the size of a quarter - and make sure it meets or exceeds your engine maunfacturer's spec. API should be your primary oil selection criteria, not brand. More info and grade succession (they retire old grades and include them in the newer grades) at
http://www.api.org/certifications/en..._Oil_Guide.pdf

and

http://www.api.org/certifications/en...ries/index.cfm
Old 04-03-2009, 05:34 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Larkin View Post
I was told by a service person that "low ash oils" are suggested for the newer diesel engines 2007 and later. The catalytic converter could be fouled otherwise, and might only last 30-40,000 miles if regular oil was used. Never heard of this and I am skeptical. Is this true? If so, does catalytic converter regeneration remedy this?
The statement about the use of "low ash oils" is correct on the 2007, and newer ISB low emission engines.
The Cummins Owners manual states that the use on non ULSD or "Low Emission/low ash" oils could lead to early replacement of the catalytic converter. Also says that it will increase the frequency of the regeneration cycles. This is probably what decreases the service life of th catalytic converter. Have heard the price of the catalytic converter to be $5K.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:28 PM   #25

THere are no catalytic converters on modern diesels. Engines built to the 07 standard ( ULSD) have a DPF. Diesel particulate filter instead of a muffler. They inject diesel fuel into the DPF when a regeneration cycle is required. Creates lots of heat. The dash will have an indicator light to tell you when this is happening. These engines require CJ 4 oil. Pre 07 standard was CI 4.
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 04-03-2009, 09:14 PM   #26

Not all 2007+ engines require a DPF. The Cummins ISM (500hp) does not have a DPF until the 2010 or so model year. Hence the ISM can burn non ULSD (technically, not legally) w/o any issue making this engine able to fuel in Mexico where ULSD is hard to find and even harder to certify.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:51 AM   #27

I have a 2007 Tiffin Allegro Bus model 42QRP. It's on a Spartan chassis and it is not required for me to burn ULSD fuel in it. Oh, it has a ISL 400 hp diesel engine. I think it was the 08 models that came out with the change-over. Some early built models, from different companies, had 07 engines in them.
Raca-roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:36 PM   #28

The ISL ULSD engine is 425 HP. many 07's were produced with the older engine. It was my understanding that the ISM engine in 07 did not meet the requirement for 07 pollution standards. But Cummins had EPA credits that they used. However I thought that the current crop of ISM engines did have a DPF. I know that in shuttle bus and daycab applications the ISM does use a DPF. However those are not 500 HP versions. ??

Of course all of this will be moot in 2010. Wait until everyone sees all the new acronyms like SCR. The 2010 standard will require vehicles to use UREA injection. That is correct . There will be a small tank on your unit containing a strange fluid. The tank will be anywhere from 2 to 5 gallons. The liquid will cost about $6.00 a gallon. Mosat major mfrs. will be using this new system. Navistar will not!! They are rebels and have developed an advanced EGR system that will not require the fluid. BTW: This equipment will add up to 300 lbs. to the power plant and cost up to $7000 extra. Dont you wish you could go back to the days of a simple PVC valve!!

2009 Silverado Toad