Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2017, 11:42 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Oil change 500 ISM 2005 Essex

New to me Essex 2005 500 ism Cummins. I wanted to change my own oil and have read some threads of fumoto valves. Under my oil pan is the drain plug. I am a little nervous about putting the valve underneath and adding 2 or so inches. My question is on the passenger side of the oil pan is another plug with a square drive. Can you use that for the fumoto valve{or diff/company} or is that for a different purpose?
Any info would be appreciated.
Sal
airconsal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2017, 12:19 PM   #2
srh

Newmar Owners Club
I had it on my coaches (Essex, CC Affinity, and 2008 Newell) and didn't have any problems. I found it to be very convenient for DIY oil changes.

Also, as a side note, if you use a vacuum cleaner - put the hose over the oil fill, place some rags around the oil fill for a good seal before putting the vacuum cleaner hose over it. Let the vacuum cleaner run and change the drain plug - you wouldn't lose a drop of oil. This is easier to do with two people.

Good luck!
Old 02-17-2017, 12:35 PM   #3

Oil change 500 ism 2005 essex

Quote:
Originally Posted by airconsal View Post
New to me Essex 2005 500 ism Cummins. I wanted to change my own oil and have read some threads of fumoto valves. Under my oil pan is the drain plug. I am a little nervous about putting the valve underneath and adding 2 or so inches. My question is on the passenger side of the oil pan is another plug with a square drive. Can you use that for the fumoto valve{or diff/company} or is that for a different purpose?

Sal

I put a Fumoto valve in the side plug you refer to. It most likely leaves 2-3 qts in the pan. Low % of the 10 gal fill. I later put this lower profile valve on the bottom plug.

https://www.nospillsystems.com

Since it will be a 8-9 gal drain, I use both when draining the old oil. Goes pretty fast.

I recommend catching a sample & sending to JG Lube Services or Blackstone for an analysis. If you do this at every oil change, you will build a pretty good pic of your engine wear pattern so if there is a pending issue, it will jump out at you.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:41 PM   #4

We have a 04 Essex with the 500 ISM engine with aluminum oil pan that has the drain plug on the bottom of oil pan. If you add fumoto valve or any other valve like that you have opened the door to having the valve ripped off because you have now lowered it to road. I do all my own engine service and this is one application that just doesn't look like a good add on. Get your self a 1 1/4 wrench and be ready for a lot of oil 10 gallons. I only fill the bucket with half the oil from the pan because 10 gallons of oil is hard to care.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by airconsal View Post
Sal
Yeah. I know what you are concerned about. The plug in the side of your pan is made for an oil heater. In addition, since it sits part way up the pan, you definitely won't get all the oil out unless you siphon or pump it out.

I started buying valves like the following when Fram was selling them. Fram has since gotten out of the business but these valves are still available for all sized equipment. I have used them on my pleasure cars, my trucks, farm equipment, and anything else I can that I have to drain oil from. They are WAY lower profile than the Fumoto, and the cap keeps the valve clean and easy to use. I don't even use a pair of pliers to change oil, just my fingers and I change it when the engine is at operating temperature. This is only one size and you'll need to order one that's the correct size for your Cummins. You'll also need to order the drain half with the hose that connects to it.

I've dropped an oil pan on my 2013 Bus ISL and found the oil left in the pan was so little I wiped it out with a rag.

On my last 2 Tiffin Class A's I changed the drain plug out to these when I got the new rigs home, without even changing the oil. I probably lost about 2 ounces of oil in the changeout. All you need is a fast thumb, and do it when the oil is COLD.

Quick Changer - 18mm-1.5 - Unique Truck Equipment
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 01:42 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thank you all for your info.
Sal
airconsal is offline   Reply With Quote