Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2015, 02:57 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Oil drain plug ISL400/8.9L

Searched iRV2, Youtube, etc. and found everything BUT what I need. I am going to change the oil this weekend at the storage lot and I need to know what size wrench/socket will I need for the drain plugs.

I found the fumoto/quickvalve is a 18mmx1.5. However, I ASSUME that is the thread and not the wrench/socket size.

I found someone said it was metric but did not say the size.

The reason I ask is I found out the hard way that my Onan 10kw needs a 22mm which, of course was not in my stock tool set I keep on board. (FWIW the spark arrestor is 11/16th so Onan mixes SAE and Metric, oh joy)

Thanks for any help.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2015, 03:08 PM   #2

On my 2015 ISL400 you need a 3/8" square drive to remove the drain plugs. I know my old "C" engine used a regular wrench so I don't know when they made that change. I guess you have to crawl underneath with a tape measure.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 03:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playtime III View Post
Searched iRV2, Youtube, etc. and found everything BUT what I need. I am going to change the oil this weekend at the storage lot and I need to know what size wrench/socket will I need for the drain plugs.

I found the fumoto/quickvalve is a 18mmx1.5. However, I ASSUME that is the thread and not the wrench/socket size.

I found someone said it was metric but did not say the size.

The reason I ask is I found out the hard way that my Onan 10kw needs a 22mm which, of course was not in my stock tool set I keep on board. (FWIW the spark arrestor is 11/16th so Onan mixes SAE and Metric, oh joy)

Thanks for any help.

The oil drain plug is from Isuzu or Kabota. Onan supplied the exhaust components.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 03:20 PM   #4
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
On my 2008 Camelot that I purchased in 2007 actually has a 2006 ISL 400 motor. The engine drain plug is 11/16".
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 05:30 AM   #5
YC1

[QUOTE=Playtime III;2641605]Searched iRV2, Youtube, etc. and found everything BUT what I need. I am going to change the oil this weekend at the storage lot and I need to know what size wrench/socket will I need for the drain plugs.

When you install the valve would you mind posting the actual part number? Their cross reference is dubious.

Thanks

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 07:14 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Oil drain plug ISL400/8.9L

I just crawled under to double check my 2002 ISL 400. 11/16" wrench to remove drain plug on oil pan.

Steve
Old 07-11-2015, 09:16 AM   #7

Yup. 11/16 is it. However, whoever changed the oil (and fuel filters) last time...ugh.

I had a brand new 3/8drive,11/16-12pt short socket and a 3/8-1/2adapter and 1/2 drive torque wrench. Just when I thought the constant pressure was begining to work... Oh crap, all I did was round off the bolt. I went to Tractor Supply and bought a 1/2drive, 11/16-6pt short (for air tools) and a 24" breaker bar. That did it.

The Fumoto is F104 and you can choose between no nipple(F104), nipple(F104n) and a new, short nipple(f104s). You can even get a plastic clip to prevent against accidental openings (although I have never heard of any opening) for $2 (LC10). And a plastic cap for the nipple $1 (FCap). The nipple version makes it easy to attach an ID 3/8 hose and get mess-free drainings into your recycle container (jug, pan, etc.). I haven't decided on the short or regular nipple. Leaning on the regular for a better hold on the hose as have pretty good ground clearance.

The oil filter was another story. For the massive filter, TS only sold a web-based strap wrench and a pliers-based wrench. I did not have the clearance for the pliers so the strap (with a 6" 1/2 drive extension) and the breaker bar worked. After I got it loose, I did the #1philips hole in the filer to drain the oil. The draining went fine but never wanted to stop so I put a rag over the hole and unspun the filter. Give the many rotations, the rag became soaked and then the small mess. Next time, some gorilla tape over the hole or put the hole on the side of the filter up a little bit.

I used a small storage bin (11gal) lined with a thick 55-gal trash bag (I wasn't sure a 5-gal bucket would fit and the bin was the DW's and she wanted it back). It fit great under the genny and the engine and held it all (the genny oil, the engine oil and the filter's oil). During cleanup, I had a drill operated pump that I could transfer the oil back into the 1-gal jugs for transport back to cummins for recycling (we have a cummins shop nearby).

However, on the fuel filter the strap broke (where it is sewn together inside the tool) and had to use the pliers. Little room but I got it to work on both, primary and secondary filters. Duct tape on the nuckles and I'll be a good as new soon.

At least, I know it was done right. Next time will be easier. Got some tools. Saved some money I can use to pay for diesel.

Thanks all for the help.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:20 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I put one of the Fumoto plugs with a nipple on my ISL and after filling the engine with oil and while cleaning up, starting thinking about whether it could get knocked off because it hangs down below the bottom of the oil pan. Now I think about it every time I go over a bump. I think if I had it to do over again I would use the plug without the nipple and just aim better into the bucket.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:36 AM   #9

rmcb, The picture of the Fumoto with the nipple (f104n) appears to have a hex head. Does the nipple unscrew? I would prefer to hose it into the jugs than aim.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:54 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
It looks to me like unscrewing the hex would take the Fumoto valve apart. I decided to not do that because I could dump oil on the driveway.
rmcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:08 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Check out this link. Search on the cummins engine and you will see all the output options. I am not positive but I believe they interchange.
http://www.fumotousa.com/parts.php?p...&partnumber=84

I considered one of these but was really worried about this becoming the low point in the back of the coach.

Steve
Old 07-13-2015, 02:01 PM   #12

I bought one of these. will install it this week. Guees it's the same as Fumoto. I bought the one with the L shape hose end. Hope it works well.

PRODUCTS - EZ Oil Drain Valve
High Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 06:06 PM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Thanks for the tip. Noticed that you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 06:37 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
A lot of people have a tough time getting their drain plug out Seems that there are a lot of mechanics that think tighter is better. Must be tightening them until they won't turn any longer then put a pipe on the handle and give it 1/4 more turn.
Every bolt and plug has a torque spec but most people don't check or follow it.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote