RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-17-2018, 03:21 PM   #1

Oil Drain Plug Stuck! 8.3 Mech

My oil pan drain plug will not come out. Had the right wrench and tried the same as always to remove it. Sprayed penetrating oil and still no movement. Finally the wrench jumped on the plug; and then it started to round. I am now with a rounded plug that still does not want to separate from the pan. I have resorted to trying vise grips and still won't #@$^% come out!! Has anyone (of course someone has) had this problem? I have never had an oil plug give me this much trouble. I have purchased a replacement once it is out.

Maik is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2018, 03:32 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Was the engine hot or cold when you were working on it? When mine is cold I will sometimes have problems with the oil filter and have to warm up the engine.

I'd suggest you use a Fumoto drain valve once you get the old plug out.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:34 PM   #3

Pipe wrench, if enough sticking out to grab it. It will grab harder as you pull on it.

OR

A large blunt chisel and a lump hammer. Use the chisel to strike one of the flats counterclockwise. The shock will loosen it. Take care not to damage the pan.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:00 PM   #4

Over the years I have had many different plugs stuck on various equipment at the farm and ranch. Tapping a slightly undersize impact socket on the plug and then using an impact tool brings them out quickly and easily. I kept a set of Harbor Freight throw away sockets just for that purpose. Later there were some easy out type sockets made by Irwin that worked well for the really stuff plugs. We ran new and old, small and large, equipment of all types and did some restoration so ran into frozen or stuck plugs and studs many times a year. It is was something we could heat then the rose bud came out and that really helped. Heating up the oil like the poster noted should help as well.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:08 PM   #5

If all the above fails I have welded a large nut on the buggered up plug so you can put a larger socket on.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:07 PM   #6

Try using a 6 point socket . Maybe a metric or standard one that has to be pounded on. If that doesn't work , welding a nut on is your best option.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:27 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Our C8.3 Cummins had a 1/2" square drive oil drain plug. And it stuck on me once also. I used a map gas torch to heat around the plug and a Vise Grip to get it out.
Good luck!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:40 PM   #8

For fasteners that are damaged like yours a pipe wrench will give you a lot better odds than Vise Grips. The pipe wrench bites tighter as it turns. Vise Grips bite until they slide. At that point, you've completed destroying the head of the plug.
Diesel drain plugs have a torque spec. I always torqued them and never had a problem.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:47 PM   #9

Obviously not the right size socket....
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:52 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
If thinking right my 2000 isc is 17mm.....
Old 10-18-2018, 05:09 AM   #11

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10Pcs-Damag...0488:rk:1:pf:0
08Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:11 PM   #12

Thanks for the replies. I tried first removing the plug when the engine was cold. I did also try a pipe wrench, but it still did not budge it. I did try heating the plug, but was worried that it cause damage to the pan. I did read that someone had welded a larger nut to the plug. I will probably give that one a try if I don't get it next try.
Thanks again for your replies.
Maik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:47 PM   #13

I would really rethink welding a nut onto that plug.

I was reading the precautions Allison gives on welding on any part of an RV and you would just about have to remove the transmission to comply with what they want...

Don't know the make of your transmission but it could be damaged by welding that close to it...

As a last resort I would drill a hole in the plug, using a left hand drill bit, and then use an ease out inserted into the hole along with a pipe wrench at the same time.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:14 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
For the future!!!!!! I always told my students once you reach for the vice grips or pipe wrench you loose most other good options.

I've often fixed slightly rounded nuts by the same methods already mentioned. Choosing a slightly smaller socket and pounding it on or using a file to make it fit. Then use an impact socket and impact wrench. The hammer style impact tools also work but in this case you are beating against an oil pan so that wouldn't work.

Drilling a hole in the socket and using an easy out will for sure break the easy out. There's just no enough metal there. I always called easy outs hard outs. They often never worked.

You've already ruined the outside of the nut so why not try a good size chisel and a hammer. Just cut into the nut and hammer it. The impact of the hammer with the chisel should shock it enough to spin it.

Don't laugh but make sure you are turning it in the correct direction. Once at a flea market in FL waiting for the DW I listened to a guy hammering on his car for 30+ minutes. I finally went over to see what his problem was. He had a flat and was trying to get his spare tire from under his truck. I asked hm to show me which way he was turning the wing nut. Sure enough he was turning it CW. By that point he had stripped all the threads off.