Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2012, 06:02 AM   #1

Oil leak Cummings 330hp isc

Has anyone had the oil galley expansion plug leak between the bellhousing and the engine? Big job to fix only 30k--miles?
trek dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2012, 04:04 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Well, in my experience as a diesel mechanic I personally have not to many ISC's leak there. Come to think of it, not many older mechanical C's either. I'm thinking it's not common. The plug that is leaking is most likely the plug at the rear cam journal. It's a dished plug that is hit in the center to flare it out. I believe the work instructions say to coat the outer edge that seals with sealant.

How was it trouble shot? Dye in the oil and seen by blacklight? That would be the best way. They are not meaning a rear main seal? Either way the Trans comes out. And I believe to pull the bellhousing the oil pan comes off. Not sure what you own, but the nice thing thing is there is room to work usually. The hard part is getting the coach up in air enough and supported. It's likely a 16 hour job if someone isn't "coach friendly."

Sorry to hear about it, but it's not a common thing. If the coach is new enough and just out of warranty on time by a little it is possible that Cummins MAY help. At times they have been known to help with the parts normally and you are responsible for the labor. In this case the parts are little to none $ wise and it's mostly a labor job. It couldn't hurt to contact your local dealer and run it up the flag pole. But like I mentioned earlier MAY help is the key.

Best of luck,

Allen
dieselbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:05 AM   #3

Allen

Thanks for the reply.
We did not dye the oil .

Here is the back ground,Cummings Atlantic Roanoke Va. Aug 2011 serviced the 2006
Newmar Kountry star ,they advised the then owner that there was oil leaking ,he auth.them to repair the leaks.

Thay diag. the leaks as the timing cover and and the oil pan,and repaired them.
The owner then traded the coach to North Trail in Ft. Meyers.

North Trail RV cleaned the coach for resale ,it was clean and dry when I inspected it.

We drove it 200 miles to Orlando and I discovered the leaks ,timing cover is still leaking{poor workmanship} And a misdiagnosis of the oil pan leak. Oil leaking from the
starter housing and down the drivers side of the bellhousing.

It is either the soft plug or the rear mainseal. As you know it is a dry housing ,no oil leaking from the bottom hole in the bellhousing.

Northtrail sells No Warranty--they want you to buy a $3000-$3500 ins. policy we did not.

Cummings says that they would {Apply for Policy for an original owner } and will

look at the possibility of maybe helping us because of the apparent misdiagonisis.

We are hopefull Cummings will help us.

We got set up by North Trail RV by them cleaning up the mess and not fixing anything.

Dick
Old 04-09-2012, 06:19 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Wow

Dick,

Boy, sounds like bad all the way around. Sorry to hear that. There is a glimmer of hope and it sounds like you have already approached the "goodwill policy" angle as you should. Based on my dealership experience most everyone holds there repairs to a 1 yr parts and labor standard, UNLESS the customer declines to do a full repair. There is some issue as to you not being the original paying customer, but again by the engine s/n they did a repair less than a year ago it sounds like. I would persue that as far as I could.

Secondly, adding dye to the engine oil to locate leaks - especially extensive ones is standard. And strangely enough, Cummins has the best dye IMHO, at the dealership I was at Detroit warranty would pay us to use Cummins dye. So for them to attempt the repair without using dye is substandard work at best. And to not recheck and locate a leak that seems pretty bad is sad as well.

Sounds like you are already in process, so keep us updated. And for the selling dealer to wash their hands is pathetic. Keep on them.

Allen
Old 04-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by trek dick View Post
Allen

Thanks for the reply.
We did not dye the oil .

Here is the back ground,Cummings Atlantic Roanoke Va. Aug 2011 serviced the 2006
Newmar Kountry star ,they advised the then owner that there was oil leaking ,he auth.them to repair the leaks.

Thay diag. the leaks as the timing cover and and the oil pan,and repaired them.
The owner then traded the coach to North Trail in Ft. Meyers.

North Trail RV cleaned the coach for resale ,it was clean and dry when I inspected it.

We drove it 200 miles to Orlando and I discovered the leaks ,timing cover is still leaking{poor workmanship} And a misdiagnosis of the oil pan leak. Oil leaking from the
starter housing and down the drivers side of the bellhousing.

It is either the soft plug or the rear mainseal. As you know it is a dry housing ,no oil leaking from the bottom hole in the bellhousing.

Northtrail sells No Warranty--they want you to buy a $3000-$3500 ins. policy we did not.

Cummings says that they would {Apply for Policy for an original owner } and will

look at the possibility of maybe helping us because of the apparent misdiagonisis.

We are hopefull Cummings will help us.

We got set up by North Trail RV by them cleaning up the mess and not fixing anything.

Dick

What is a "CUMMINGS"?
Billua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:31 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Really?

Seriously, you had to quote the whole post to ask what a "Cummings" is? It is an easy mistake for those not familiar with all things diesel. And by reading the complete thread you can figure it appears to be an object that has oil in it that is leaking out. It also appears to be an object that has dealerships supporting it. And seeing we are all looking at a RV forum site and that this particular thread is under the category of Powertrain Garage, that again is broken down into a specific sub-category of "Cummins" Engines. One could then make the leap to conclude the gentleman is simply adding a letter to the word CUMMINS. And so we are left with the fact that either you sir are trolling, or that this is indeed your first foray in the diesel engine world. And that you could not figure is out on your own.

So, I have either done one of two things here: pointed out your silly game or brought you up to speed on the thing that makes noise when you turn the key on your diesel pusher or dodge pickup. If its in the diesel pusher the noise is behind you and in the pickup it's in front.....in case you were wondering.

And with that I consider the matter closed. Either "your welcome" or "shame on you silly man," is in order now. My work here is done.

Allen
Old 04-09-2012, 11:00 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If North Trail knew of the leaks and did not disclose them to you there may be legal recourse against them even if sold "as is". They cannot hide a material defect if they knew about it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselbeaver View Post
Seriously, you had to quote the whole post to ask what a "Cummings" is? It is an easy mistake for those not familiar with all things diesel. And by reading the complete thread you can figure it appears to be an object that has oil in it that is leaking out. It also appears to be an object that has dealerships supporting it. And seeing we are all looking at a RV forum site and that this particular thread is under the category of Powertrain Garage, that again is broken down into a specific sub-category of "Cummins" Engines. One could then make the leap to conclude the gentleman is simply adding a letter to the word CUMMINS. And so we are left with the fact that either you sir are trolling, or that this is indeed your first foray in the diesel engine world. And that you could not figure is out on your own.

So, I have either done one of two things here: pointed out your silly game or brought you up to speed on the thing that makes noise when you turn the key on your diesel pusher or dodge pickup. If its in the diesel pusher the noise is behind you and in the pickup it's in front.....in case you were wondering.

And with that I consider the matter closed. Either "your welcome" or "shame on you silly man," is in order now. My work here is done.

Allen

HAHA no, I just figure most folks can read the name of their engine..
Guess not.

Not a troll and not my first diesel either. I have owned Cummins engines for the last 12 years.

Sorry to hear of the OP's problems.
Billua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:21 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club

Allen[/QUOTE]

Bravo! way to go Allen!
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:56 PM   #10

Sorry this rookie missed the spelling,doesn't take much to amuse some,I am sure a few others got good laugh too. thanks for your reply Mr. D
Old 04-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Dick, how serious is the leak? Is it just a nuisance, or is it getting below the add mark?

Not ideal, but in the old days, they all leaked and we just added more oil as needed.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:49 AM   #12

Hi Vito.a

The leak is not serious,just messy.

I can not live with it ,I will fix it.

Dick

Tags
leak