Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2018, 06:44 PM   #1

Oil level in 6.7 overfilled

This past week I had the oil change, along with fuel filter changes, along with the chassis service. After driving home with no issues, and letting the coach sit level for an hour or so, I checked the dip stick and found the oil level to be about 1/2" high above the full mark. Checked with the tech and he put 18 quarts in the crankcase. Checked with the Cummins website, it states 15 qts. Called customer service and the gal states the maximum oil level is 17.6 qts including oil filter. If that's the case I'm only .4 qts overfilled. I'm leaning toward drawing a couple qts out through the dipstick. Any particular advice whether this is necessary and what potential harm in running slightly overfilled?
capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2018, 08:36 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I measured my factory oil coming out on my first change. 16 quarts, 15 in the crankcase and 1 for the filter. You are probably 2 quarts over.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:12 PM   #3

That's what I thought also. The question I have is it easier to suck out of the dipstick tube or drain the overage out of the upper drain hole in the pan.(?)
Old 12-08-2018, 10:31 PM   #4

Much, much easier to remove the oil through the dip stick channel.
I use a small electric drill suction pump with a small suction tube to remove oil from my generator. Works fine.
JimB
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:04 PM   #5

Thanks JimB,
You confirmed my suspicion.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:54 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would remove the extra 2 quarts. My schooling has been it's almost better to be a little low than overfull on oil.

I wouldn't drain via the upper plug...that would be a mess I think. Removing some oil through the dipstick is good if you have a device that will suck it out with a long hose.

And then the fallback method could be to remove and drain the oil filter, check level and repeat if necessary. That method is starting the engine on a dry filter though...which is generally not recommended.

I have a siphon pump already for when I change oil on my VW beetle TDI. It's great to not have to crawl under...remove the belly pan and drain plug and re-install.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:57 AM   #7

Make sure your coach is level when checking the oil. Sometimes only a small amount off level can make quite a difference on the oil level.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:37 AM   #8

I just bought the small tubing necessary to use on my small siphon pump so should be good to go. Thanks all for the encouragement.

Tags
led