Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2015, 04:12 PM   #1

Oil Pressure Erratic

2003 Mountain Aire with ISL 400 hp. I turn the key to run position and the oil pressure switch is swinging 0-50 psi. I start the engine, no change in the oil pressure, but with all the alarms associated with improper oil pressure.

Has anyone dealt with this that can save me some troubleshooting time?

kwseeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2015, 05:51 PM   #2

I installed a Scan Gage to be sure of instrumentation in case of gage malfunctions.
Jamie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie65 View Post
I installed a Scan Gage to be sure of instrumentation in case of gage malfunctions.
What is a Scan Gage? I'm confident it's not a real oil pressure issue. The oil pressure gauge is swinging 0-50 psi without the engine running. It's probably a connection or relay issue, maybe even the sending unit, but where to look?

Klaus
kwseeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:59 AM   #4

Available from Camping World and probably many others. You probably have a connection issue. Look under the dash at all plug in connectors, check all ground connections, find the oil pressure sending unit on the engine and check the connection there or possibly change it. Cummins can help you with finding the sending unit. I installed the Scan Gage to be sure of my parameters.

https://cumminsengines.com/customer-care.aspx

ScanGauge - Trip Computer + Digitial Gauges + ScanTools
Jamie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:04 AM   #5

Your oil pressure gauge is not much more than a glorified idiot light. As long as the ECM sees enough pressure to be within the programmed normal range the gauge will show good pressure. Use a scan gauge of the type that can see what the ECM sees (live data) and you will have a better idea what is going on.