RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-18-2018, 01:35 PM   #1

Opinion on coolant and filter

I am in the process of cleaning radiator and will be changing coolant . I have read all sorts of post here on various coolants and was wondering what you folks have used . I have a 2002 Fleetwood Revolution with the 8.3 ISC the manual of coarse tells me to use Fleetguard products but was wondering if you guys use Napa . My local Napa had a couple of fully formulated coolants but non are specific to Cummins and they have their brand of filters which I have used in the past on my dump truck . They do have Peak Final charge oat but if memory serves me correctly the label on the jug list all sorts of engines except Cummins, it does however list Freightliner which leads me to believe it would be ok. In my 40 plus years of mechanics on various things I have seen a lot of manufacturers advising you to use their brand of oil and what not but generally a good brand will suffice but these monsters are a bit different and I also know Fleetguard is a good brand but I gotta drive 1.5 hours round trip to get the Fleetguard. Thanks Darin

Darin1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2018, 03:13 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd check the specifications for your engine's coolant and make sure whatever you buy meets all specs. Many engine issues are a result of poor cooling. Saving a couple of dollars now could result in big bucks later if the engine fails.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:40 PM   #3

Exactly , the manual says on one page quote" a fully formulated anti freeze or coolant that meets TMC RP 329 or 330 Specs, on another page it says"Use a low-silicate anti freeze that meets ASTM4985 test criteria, so when looking at what this means astm4985 is now astmd4985 ........ yada yada well I will drive to cola and get the fleetguard . The odd thing is it came with dexcool which from my understanding meets the criteria.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:12 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I called Cummins and they say switch it over to the new OAT and
replace SCA canister with the blank WF2123
Damion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:08 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damion View Post
After many years wrenching I too was confused on what to do when I replaced our coolant on the same engine. Long story short after tons of reading this is exactly what I did and never looked back. We used Peak Final Charge. I believe it's good for a million miles or 8 years. There is an additive you have to add after 4 years. Not sure what it is but I will figure that out when time comes.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:17 AM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
I’m using the peak final charge from NAPA. Flushed a couple of times and filled. I don’t have a filter so didn’t have to replace with a blank. Just make sure if you ever take it to a Cummins shop where they may do something that requires adding coolant they are aware of what you’re using. I didn’t and had to repeat the process. Expensive lesson.
mhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLar368 View Post
...After Long story short after tons of reading this is exactly what I did and never looked back. We used Peak Final Charge.
Where did you find to buy it?
steve11669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 05:42 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Opinion on coolant and filter

The Peak Final Charge concentrate is part number FXA0B3.

It is available from Zoro. Check for discount code at retailmenot.com. I used a 20% off code with free shipping.

https://www.zoro.com/fleet-charge-an...yABEgJX-vD_BwE

If you need 6 gallons of the concentrate, this is the best deal I found, even with $30 shipping.
https://www.hardwareworld.com/p38gx9...-Charge-Diesel
pwhittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 05:56 AM   #9

When you flushed, did you use any type cleaner? Thanks
Old 09-19-2018, 06:37 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin1960 View Post
When you flushed, did you use any type cleaner? Thanks
I used the Fleetgaurd cleaner
Damion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:58 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damion View Post

Except...

The Freightliner Custom Chassis guy at the 1-800 help line might tell you the coolant level sensor that Freightliner installed does not play nice with the coolant Cummins recommends.

Per Freightliner, I use Fleet Charge, SCA Precharged, Fully Formulated (Made by Peak).
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:22 AM   #12

American Coach Owners Club
Be mindful of using the WF2123 "blank" filter. I just this week seen a truck that had coolant exchanged for long life and a blank filter installed.

After a few years, the filter housing rusted on outside and started leaking..... unit lost most all $$$ coolant as driver had to keep pouring water in to get it to shop.

If you use a blank, make visual inspection part of your scheduled maintenance program.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:37 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I researched this and found the Cummins requirements:
Note : Low-silicate antifreeze meeting ASTM D4985 is inadequate for extended service intervals of 80,467 to 241,402 km [50,000 to 150,000 mi].

Cummins Inc. recommends using either a 50/50 mixture of high-quality water and fully formulated antifreeze, or fully formulated coolant when filling the cooling system. The fully formulated antifreeze or coolant must meet Cummins® Engineering Standard (CES) 14603 specifications.

Most coolants which meet ASTM D6210 also meet CES 14603. However, some OAT coolants such as Shell™ Rotella™ ELC, Chevron™ Delo™ ELC and their private label counterparts meet ASTM D6210 but do not meet the elastomer compatibility test of CES 14603. These coolants are acceptable for use, assuming the OEM added silicate at initial fill. Use Section 3 - Extended Service Interval of the following bulletin for more details. Refer to Cummins® Coolant Requirements and Maintenance, Bulletin 3666132. (You will need to log into Quickserve)

I used Cummins ES Compleat OAT (red) and a blank coolant filter: WF2127Cummins. Local dealers run this on sale periodically.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 12:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
I researched this and found the Cummins requirements:
Note : Low-silicate antifreeze meeting ASTM D4985 is inadequate for extended service intervals of 80,467 to 241,402 km [50,000 to 150,000 mi].

Cummins Inc. recommends using either a 50/50 mixture of high-quality water and fully formulated antifreeze, or fully formulated coolant when filling the cooling system. The fully formulated antifreeze or coolant must meet Cummins® Engineering Standard (CES) 14603 specifications.

Most coolants which meet ASTM D6210 also meet CES 14603. However, some OAT coolants such as Shell™ Rotella™ ELC, Chevron™ Delo™ ELC and their private label counterparts meet ASTM D6210 but do not meet the elastomer compatibility test of CES 14603. These coolants are acceptable for use, assuming the OEM added silicate at initial fill. Use Section 3 - Extended Service Interval of the following bulletin for more details. Refer to Cummins® Coolant Requirements and Maintenance, Bulletin 3666132. (You will need to log into Quickserve)

I used Cummins ES Compleat OAT (red) and a blank coolant filter: WF2127Cummins. Local dealers run this on sale periodically.
So Vito, do you think Peak Charge and/or Final Charge are acceptable?

steve11669 is offline   Reply With Quote