Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2016, 10:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrypair View Post
I don't believe my pac brake has worked from day one. I told the dealership when I bought the coach, I didn't think it was working. They checked & said it was fine. So, here I am 2 years later & I had it checked again! This time at another dealer. Everything is fine except I'm not getting a signal from the ECM to the solenoid valve, which activates the cylinder to the pac-brake. They said I would have to take it to a Cummins dealer because only they have the ability to check for fault codes (proprietary). Any suggestions or thoughts on this problem? I would appreciate any input.
countrypair
Why not simply "take it to a Cummins dealer" as "they", (the dealership?). recommended?
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2016, 10:35 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrypair View Post
Everything is operational, except there is no signal from the ECM to the solenoid valve.
As I stated in post #3, it may not be "Activated" in the program???
Old 05-02-2016, 04:57 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
countrypair
Why not simply "take it to a Cummins dealer" as "they", (the dealership?). recommended?
I'm not sure all Cummins locations can deal with PacBrake issues. I had what may have been a sticking (on) issue, asked Cummins Odessa if they could check it out and was told they don't do PacBrake as its a add-on. I had thought maybe a Coach-Care location but El Paso also tells me they can't either.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:46 PM   #18

NevadaNick - My Pac Brake works above 900 rpm or shuts off at 900rpms
guestPacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 12:24 AM   #19

When I installed my PRXB exhaust brake on my 98 Dodge I was instructed to test it by taking it out of OverDrive and do a drive test.
When I installed it one of the questions I asked PacBrake tech. was did I need to order some of the lube. he said not at this time because the biggest problem most of us have is failure to use the brake for long periods of time and then you will need to free it up if it's seized up and lube. He mentioned the best thing for it to leave on. Now saying that mine works off rpm and throttle position.
I realize a lot of you are MH folks and this is just my 8400 lbs. bumper pull worst.
guestPacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:17 PM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrel View Post
I have the same problem. The brake switch causes downshiftine but not much retardation. On 6% grades I normally have to slow to 40MPH to avoid manual braking. Hope you find a fix and relate it here.

Have a nice day - Darrel
My experience matches yours. I have proven that my PacBrake is working. It just isn't effective. I start down a 6% grade @ 40 mph in 4th gear and use my brains and my foot to get us to the bottom safely.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 01:06 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
My experience matches yours. I have proven that my PacBrake is working. It just isn't effective. I start down a 6% grade @ 40 mph in 4th gear and use my brains and my foot to get us to the bottom safely.

Jim
Jim, when I picked up Mona one of the things I noticed was the PacBrake was unhooked and frozen! I traveled 3500 miles with it unhooked, and did not need it at all! All the way up to Binghamton, NY., then back to Central Il. from Florida! But I am a retired trucker, and knew how to drive in the mountains. I do not intend to fix it, just one of those things that do not work well when working right! JMHO! I was not hauling a heavy trailer/stacker or a heavy toad either, so that may make me change my thinking! But I think I would spend the money and upgrade to a JakeBrake if they are available for my 8.3 Cummins. Rail!
Old 05-21-2016, 02:45 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post

I think I would spend the money and upgrade to a JakeBrake if they are available for my 8.3 Cummins. Rail!
I think that is about a $25,000 (or more) upgrade.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 03:53 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I think that is about a $25,000 (or more) upgrade.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
You can't be serious?
Richard, I bought a N-14 crate motor from Cummins with a warranty including the turbo, ECM, air compressor, JakeBrake, everything but the starter and alternator for 17,000 dls! And with a new radiator and clutch, and installation, total bill from Kingman Freightliner 27,000 dls!
You will have to prove that claim to me! Show me the facts! Really???? Rail!
Old 05-21-2016, 04:08 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post

You can't be serious?
Nope, not serious! Only wanted to get people's attention.

I have a friend with an older Monaco who posts on iRV2.com that looked into the parts needed and cost to change his engine over to an engine brake versus the exhaust brake he currently had.

I don't remember what he had found but whatever the cost was it did not include engine breakdown and installation of the required parts. He owns a machine shop and does most of his own work himself.

I think he has a Cummins ISC in his coach. I will try to resurrect the information from past posts plus I will get in touch with him to see if he remembers what the cost would be. He's on his way to Alaska for the summer so it may take awhile before I hear from him.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 04:24 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Nope, not serious! Only wanted to get people's attention.

I have a friend with an older Monaco who posts on iRV2.com that looked into the parts needed and cost to change his engine over to an engine brake versus the exhaust brake he currently had.

I don't remember what he had found but whatever the cost was it did not include engine breakdown and installation of the required parts. He owns a machine shop and does most of his own work himself.

I think he has a Cummins ISC in his coach. I will try to resurrect the information from past posts plus I will get in touch with him to see if he remembers what the cost would be. He's on his way to Alaska for the summer so it may take awhile before I hear from him.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Thanks, Richard, very curious on the cost, I would suspect around 5k with installation? You can PM me when you find out! I will research this too!!
Rail!

Tags
brake