Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2014, 09:45 AM   #1

Perspective - Please post Good with the Bad:)!

I heard a conversation yesterday that mad me chuckle. Gent A was telling Gent B to avoid a certain diesel engine, because he had read about problems with them on an internet board.

I think we all know this, but most times these boards are used to 'Solve Problems' - thus most of the posts are 'problem related'.

I thought for those researching, and just good ole 'Gee Whiz!' info. That it would be interesting to have owners post some simple info:

-Engine Type (ISB, ISC, ISL, ISM, ISX (and older names like M11, Etc.)
-Year (Engine year vs coach year if different and you know it.)
-Miles
-AVG MPG
-Coach (CC Allure 40', Alpine 36', etc.) (To factor MPG.)
-Perspective (No problems; Never out of the shop; Few problems but still good; --- Just any short perspective on the engine ownership experience.)

This way people researching may see a more balance blend of experiences. I will add, that shocking as it is, this will still be a smaller subset of the overall RV'ing community experiences with engines. As a larger population of RV'ers NEVER GO ONLINE...!

Best to all, and thanks for sharing your experience with your Cummins!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2014, 09:50 AM   #2

ISL (CAPS era)
7.6MPG
Country Coach Allure 40', Tag
Perspective:

No problems, normal maintenance items. Runs well, 95%+ of the time has all the power needed for our weight coach. Less then 5% of the time, climbing long grades, I'd like just a bit more power, but it is for sure not greatly underpowered.

Best to all,
Smitty
Old 03-07-2014, 10:11 AM   #3

2006 journey 36
cat 350, m3000 trans
40,000 miles
7 miles/gal avg. always tow a dodge mini van 6000 lbs
Van is heavy because it is a wheelchair van.
MH is 8 years old and no big problems.
cat engine is great, love it, most of our driving is in high country 5000 plus feet. 35-38mph up steep long grades we just sit back and enjoy till we get to the top.
It does cost more to maintain than a gas rig so just get out your check book!
I under stand things break but the one thing that my Winnebago and many more I have seen is around the years that mine was made the paint shop they use is horrible! The clear coat on the caps started to peel within a couple years. Around 6 years some of the clear coat on the rear and one side started to peel. I'm lucky to have a shop near us that can spot fix the paint. Had it done 3 times now. But don't get me wrong I still love our rig.

Don
Old 03-07-2014, 10:31 AM   #4

Cummins 340 ISB
Freightliner chassis
2010 Damon Outlaw Class A Toyhauler
60,000 miles
carry Smart Car in Garage
Fairbanks, AK to Lodi, CA = 10.14 mpg
maintained according to specs.
NO PROBLEMS!
Live in it fulltime. It has never sat longer than 40 days without being driven at least 20 miles: "taking the Beast out for a walk". Keeps everything lubed and running smoothly.
I take care of it, it takes care of me!
Vicap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:13 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
-Engine Type: ISL 370 HP
-Year: 2002
-Miles: 24,000
-AVG MPG: 7.8 (includes generator and Aqua Hot use since I have no way of measuring those amounts. In other words, total miles driven divided by total fuel put in the tank. The engine's computer says that the lifetime average is 8.3 mpg. Includes a lot of mountain driving.)
-Coach: 2003 Monaco Windsor GVWR 37,600 towing a 4,400 pound toad.
-Perspective: Solid, trouble free. Compression brake versus exhaust brake would be nice but that's the way Monaco ordered the engine and not a Cummins problem.
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:19 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club

Engine type: Cummins 450 ISL

Year: 2013
Miles: 14000
Coach: Entegra Anthem DEQ
MPG: 7-7.5 (pulling about 6500#s)
Perspective: Good pulling power. Solid performance. Only problem was wall leak in front and and lower seals, both cheerfully repaired under warrantee by Cummins.

Side comment: Have yet to find a Cummins Coach Care that wasn't run very well. Rocky Mountain Cummins in Albquerque was the best.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
I heard a conversation yesterday that mad me chuckle. Gent A was telling Gent B to avoid a certain diesel engine, because he had read about problems with them on an internet board. I think we all know this, but most times these boards are used to 'Solve Problems' - thus most of the posts are 'problem related'. I thought for those researching, and just good ole 'Gee Whiz!' info. That it would be interesting to have owners post some simple info: -Engine Type (ISB, ISC, ISL, ISM, ISX (and older names like M11, Etc.) -Year (Engine year vs coach year if different and you know it.) -Miles -AVG MPG -Coach (CC Allure 40', Alpine 36', etc.) (To factor MPG.) -Perspective (No problems; Never out of the shop; Few problems but still good; --- Just any short perspective on the engine ownership experience.) This way people researching may see a more balance blend of experiences. I will add, that shocking as it is, this will still be a smaller subset of the overall RV'ing community experiences with engines. As a larger population of RV'ers NEVER GO ONLINE...! Best to all, and thanks for sharing your experience with your Cummins! Smitty
1. ISM
2. Engine Build date 9/9/2002. Coach build 3/2003
3. 97k miles; ECM says 7.6 mpg life time. Currently averaging 8.2. MPG has steadily crept up last 50k.
4. Monaco Signature. Usual total weight of 44k including toad when traveling.

Have had ZERO engine issues over life of coach which is now 11 years. I'm currently knocking wood furiously. Purchased the coach at 3 years old with 40k miles in 2006. Moved in full time March 2007. Started doing my own routine maintenance (L/O/F) in '08
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:18 AM   #8

CT8.3L Mechanical Cummins 300HP
Engine built 1994
94,000 Miles
7.3 MPG hand calculated over 12 years in West Coast Mountains
36,000 lbs Coach and Toad

No engine problems with exception of Fuel Injection Pump in 2005.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:36 AM   #9

-Engine Type ISC
-Year Engine build 2001, coach year 2002
-Miles 113,000 +
-AVG MPG 8.7
-Coach 40ft CC Intrigue
-Perspective Replaced an alternator and cracked manifold
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:11 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
ISC 350hp (02 build)
88K miles
7.4 MPG
03 Winnebago Ultimate 40'
towing Honda Odyssey

No real problems. Oil pressure sender replaced under warranty at 12 mo, lift pump leaking/replaced apx 2008, runs well.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
ISL (CAPS era)
7.6MPG
Country Coach Allure 40', Tag
Perspective:

No problems, normal maintenance items. Runs well, 95%+ of the time has all the power needed for our weight coach. Less then 5% of the time, climbing long grades, I'd like just a bit more power, but it is for sure not greatly underpowered.

Best to all,
Smitty

Windsor Dave made a good point, to add a note about if the MPG posted is adjusted for Generator and Aqua/Hydro Hot usage.

My posted MPG does include both of these, so actual MPG is higher. (I keep a rough log of HyrdoHot usage and Generator Ours at the Start and End of long trips. So I have at times calculated MPG manually, and it is usually runs consistently above 8MPG.)

Thanks Dave!

Smitty
Old 03-09-2014, 05:31 PM   #12

engine Cummins 5.9L 300 hp
Miles ~56000
MPG 9.5 over all terrains Adjusted for generator usage
Only problem was radiator overflow reservoir needed to be replaced.
coach Expedition 38N
NO serious problems with amount of power. Fill a bit underpowered when climbing in the Rockies, but still faster than the semis.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote