RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:17 AM   #1

Power boost 5.9

Newbie with a 98 Holiday 37' 5.9l cummings that was talking to a 40 year rv'er who mentioned getting more hp / better millage with a engine power booster? Have no idea what he is talking about but are there others out there that have used engine add on's and gotten better performance? I don't want to compromise the engine at all but would be interested in real world experiences vs product hype.
Thanks in advance / Jim

jimemeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2016, 12:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimemeone View Post
Newbie with a 98 Holiday 37' 5.9l cummings that was talking to a 40 year rv'er who mentioned getting more hp / better millage with a engine power booster? Have no idea what he is talking about but are there others out there that have used engine add on's and gotten better performance? I don't want to compromise the engine at all but would be interested in real world experiences vs product hype.
Thanks in advance / Jim
. If your doing a search for info, try using Cummins instead of Cummings. Those older 12 valve engines were low on HP but tuners don't seem to be a problem . maybe try asking on a diesel truck forum as the engine was the same as they use in RVs.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:57 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
maybe try 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
jimmy braden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:15 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimemeone View Post
Thanks in advance / Jim
A word of caution. If you have a 53 block like mine I would be very carful about trying to soup this engine up. 5% or more of these blocks cracked and required extensive repairs. But if you must I believe Banks has a system that would give you more power. My 98 as a 98.5 engine with an engine computer. Not sure but you can probably get a hotter chip for it.

I already get 9-12.5 and I doubt I could get much greater milage. Power wise it is a little weak but it gets me to where I am going.

First find out which 5.9 you have. 12 or 24 valve version? Electronic version?

I will probably get slammed a little but my opinion is to leave it alone.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:07 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
no, thats good advice regarding the 53 blocks. I think they are stamped above the starter. They will not survive stock in many cases.
jimmy braden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:58 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy braden View Post
no, thats good advice regarding the 53 blocks. I think they are stamped above the starter. They will not survive stock in many cases.
If you look for 53 mine is located on the passenger side (for a DP) about an inch or so up from block bottom at the radiator end. The over all performance of mine is great especially mileage. Close to 100000 and no cracked block. One of the good ones.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:51 AM   #7

If you want to get more out of your 5.9 then the first thing you NEED to do is make sure the transmission can handle the extra torque. If it can put a pyrometer on so you don't melt a piston or two. If you have the P-7100 (inline) injection pump I can tell you how to get more power for nothing but a couple of hours labor. If you have the electronic pump you will need to have a good lift pump (stock isn't so good), and then you can put a "plug and play" tuner on it. Either way MAKE SURE you put a pyrometer and probably a boost gauge on it.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:08 PM   #8

The plug and play programmers are not for loaded conditions. They mainly advance your timing for better mileage and performance with a pickup when empty. I recently put in a set of rv75 injectors that gave a little more power and 2mpg mileage improvement. BUT, my old injectors may have been getting bad with 200,000 on them. It was time for a change anyway.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbeek View Post
The plug and play programmers are not for loaded conditions. They mainly advance your timing for better mileage and performance with a pickup when empty.
That's not altogether true. There are some programmers specifically designed with tunes for towing/loaded conditions.

It is true that you can only go so far with power increases until the heat generated is just too much for those heavy conditions.

Boost and EGT gages are your best friend... with or without a tune. They reveal a lot of information about the inner workings of your engine.

-cheers

Piker is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
power