Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2015, 11:05 PM   #1

Pre ULSD era ISC/ISL's with OEM Lift Pumps?

We have an 04 model with a 03 era engine. It's the CAPS engine, and was designed for old diesel 2 - before ULSD.

We're at a youn 40K, with all miles from us, starting at just under 13K.

I run XPD Optilube in all tanks.

Curious how many Pre ULSD ISC/ISL's still have their OEM lift pumps.

If still running, how many miles?

If changed out, at what miles did it happen?

And finally, do you run additives or not?

Thanks, and best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2015, 04:40 AM   #2

Mine went out @ 240K,I put in a qt of 2-stroke oil every fillup.
sewmun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:29 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 2002 Windsor which we purchased in 2008. It currently has 100K miles on it with the original lift pump. I sometimes use a diesel additive, not necessarily for lubricity.

I will be following this post with interest, specifically what signs were present when the lift pump went out or was changed.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:50 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I believe the engine's were built/designed to operate using USLD even way back then(Mine is a 2000 ISC, manual states USLD -OK) But the problem is/was the gaskets used in the fuel system.
Cummins Lift Pump Leakage Due to Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel - Engine Builder Magazine

http://blacksmokin.com/files/CUMMINS...arningULSD.pdf

My OEM lift pump is original as far as the records show, 15 years old this year........
Old 03-15-2015, 09:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
I believe the engine's were built/designed to operate using USLD even way back then(Mine is a 2000 ISC, manual states USLD -OK) But the problem is/was the gaskets used in the fuel system.
Cummins Lift Pump Leakage Due to Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel - Engine Builder Magazine

http://blacksmokin.com/files/CUMMINS...arningULSD.pdf

Thanks Palehorse on the link. Good point on the years being a bit earlier for ULSD.

When I discovered my ISL was not the newer VGT version that followed CAPS era (I was an axx, as I did 'ass-ume' the 2004 model had the newer engine. Found out after purchase that the engine was built in July of 2003!), I called and talked with Cummins for about 45 mins. The person that first started helping me, could not answer all of my questions, so put me on hold to get someone els. This gent was with a group of engineers that helped determine the impact of ULSD, after seeing few miles by fleet related industries (truckers, firetrucks, etc.).

He was the one that suggested that adding an additive (before Cummins even started to market and say that 'now it's a good idea') would be what he would do if it was his engine. Not just for the lift pump, but more so for the added lubricity to the injection pump. He was also the first person to tell me about the ULSD impact to rubber hoses, and suggested I swap any out that maybe in my coach. (He RV'd too, so he knew what we had to consider.) So I replaced the lines to our Hydro Hot and the Generator with a Gates Barricade fuel line.

Good to see so many high miles on these engines with out Lift Pump failures.

Appreciated the info sharing so far! This is just sort of 'gee whiz' info, to file away and see if I want to add any preventative maintenance early replacement of the Lift Pump.

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:17 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Smitty, The Refinery where I work had a bad time when the PPM of sulfur got lowered, with gas and fuel...........We then injected a Lubricity additive into both fuels........
The one thing that was affected with the lower sulfur in gas, was the material in the GM fuel gauge level float......... Gauge's quit working.........The sulfur was a lubricant per say.......
With the loss, came standards...... http://www.dieselfuellubricity.com/
Kind of like the summer/winter diesel fuels across our country, maybe years ago, and done/accomplished by spiking with kero, but with the 15 PPM today, this is done with additives with a result of All weather diesel for year around use. At least at our plant..........
Old 03-15-2015, 10:11 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
I have a '01 vintage ISC with 120K miles and still have the original pump. No additived added to the fuel.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:36 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Replaced lift pump due to leaking in Jan 2010 at 56.4k miles. I rarely use any additives ...just Howes Diesel Treat Conditioner and Anti-Gel when sitting/parked in below freezing temps.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 05:59 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Mine started leaking in 2011. I tightened the three top bolts and it got me home, 1500 miles. I had it replaced preemptively. It had about 45k miles. My research showed that it could leak out the top like mine or at the electrical connection which is not fixable.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:14 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think the worry/hype over the introduction of ULSD fuel was just like every other fuel change over the years. It didn't really have a big impact and I bet you couldn't get enough data to prove that pumps were failing because it was their time or the fuel caused it.

I had an 05 Diplomat with a 400 ISL that was supposed to be affected by he new fuel. I never had an issue and I sold it with 77K on it.

With that said, I've been running OptiLube for over 6 years. I run 1/3rd of an ounce to the gallon. My reasons for running it, was the diesel fuel reports showing that a lot of diesel fuel in the US wasn't meeting the government standards for lubricity. I was criticized many times for using it by the knuckleheads who said..."if Cummins doesn't recommend it, you're wasting your money". Well...guess what, Cummins is recommending running additives.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:24 AM   #11

Remember ULSD fuel Started IN 2006 our pumps where designed in the middle 90's so I feel it's important to give it some lube.The main reason I use lube is for the $4,000.00 + inj.pump.Mine was replaced @ 149K & is supposed to be updated for USLD but who knows for sure?
sewmun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:10 AM   #12

American Coach Owners Club
Not and ISC but an even older C8.3 with 104,000 miles and the original lift pump still in place. Add lube occasionally.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:07 AM   #13

My 99 ISC lift pump started leaking right after the new fuel came out requiring replacement. Replacement was not that difficult or expensive, but I was at home and not on the road.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:24 AM   #14

I have my original lift pump. My CAPS pump was replaced at 30k. I am the second owner and run opti lube. First owner did not use additives
wildirishman is offline   Reply With Quote