Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2012, 09:32 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Radiator Pressure Caps

Is a 7 lb pressure cap ok to use on a 400 ISL -- On the Monacoers Forum, the resident guru thinks the 16lb cap is to much for the plastic surge tanks -- I`ve had trouble with mine, as have several others -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2012, 11:47 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Bill,
I have the 8.3 ISC on my 2002 Diplomat with the plastic overflow tank. Isn't the same as yours, but it says 7 lb. min. pressure cap somewhere in my operators manual, and it has a 10 lb. cap on it. I believe the 10 lb. cap is the original one, and no problem with it.
Radarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Willard View Post
Is a 7 lb pressure cap ok to use on a 400 ISL -- On the Monacoers Forum, the resident guru thinks the 16lb cap is to much for the plastic surge tanks -- I`ve had trouble with mine, as have several others -- Bill Willard
Depending on your engine MY, the pressure cap rating could be as low as 7 PSI while engines with Cooled EGR may have a Cummins required 13 PSI. Cooled EGR engines need more pressure to suppress steam bubble formation in the EGR cooler. Failure to suppress the bubbles leads to a steam vapor blanket leaving the top of the core to overheat and crack. Not a cheap repair.
spike45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:02 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike45 View Post
Depending on your engine MY, the pressure cap rating could be as low as 7 PSI while engines with Cooled EGR may have a Cummins required 13 PSI. Cooled EGR engines need more pressure to suppress steam bubble formation in the EGR cooler. Failure to suppress the bubbles leads to a steam vapor blanket leaving the top of the core to overheat and crack. Not a cheap repair.
Spike -- Thanks for your reply, but would you Dummy your answer down for me - What is a cooled EGR, & what does MY, & EGR stand for ? -- I have a 07, 400 ISL in a Monaco Camelot -- I don`t have the emission "stuff" that came out in 08 --Bill Willard
Old 11-25-2012, 01:57 PM   #5

Foretravel Owners Club
Maybe, I guess, MY= Model Year and EGR=Exhaust Gas Recirculate so to get the Cummins answer, take the ISL engine number to Cummins and ask what ever you like.
My 01 ISM is pre EGR, I guess the EGR has a rep of being a problem, so maybe why the "cooled" version now?
No end to what if.
Dave
Genset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:04 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
My surge tank says right on it what pressure to install on it. 15# can you find any info on this that came with the coach? One does not want to just change the cap pressure as you will be changing the boiling point of the anti-freeze. The last time I looked at a prestone anti-freeze jug the charts on the back were based on 15# of pressure.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Bill,
You have no EGR (Exhaust G as Recirculation)on that old Cummins in your coach. And, neither do I. Cummins MY (Model Year) 2007 started using them, along with the DPF (Diesel Paticulate Filter.) Those engines are red, whereas ours are black.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Spike -- Thanks for your reply, but would you Dummy your answer down for me - What is a cooled EGR, & what does MY, & EGR stand for ? -- I have a 07, 400 ISL in a Monaco Camelot -- I don`t have the emission "stuff" that came out in 08 --Bill Willard
Sorry for the late reply. All Cummins engines used jacket water cooling of the EGR stream. The cooled gas is more inert and lowers cylinder temperatures. MY is model year. Your 07 does have cooled EGR. It is a housing with coolant lines and a larger exhaust line running through it to the EGR valve on the intake side of the engine.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:31 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

The cooling system is provided by the chassis builder, not Cummins, so you need to check with the chassis manufacturer as to what radiator cap is needed for your particular rig.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:35 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Spike -- Even tho I have a 07 model coach, it has the pre 07 engine -- No EGR -- I`ve replaced the muffler with a 5050XL, & seen no coolant lines connected to the exhaust -- Thanks for your help -- Bill Willard
Old 12-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Spike -- Even tho I have a 07 model coach, it has the pre 07 engine -- No EGR -- I`ve replaced the muffler with a 5050XL, & seen no coolant lines connected to the exhaust -- Thanks for your help -- Bill Willard
The EGR cooler is part of the engine, not the exhaust system. All Cummins ISC, ISL engines have EGR since 2007.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Read the fine manual for your engine, Use the specified cap. The wrong pressure (Either way) can lead to overheat or other system damage.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:47 AM   #13

Foretravel Owners Club
The EGR was on the 03 ISM engine, and know it was on the 06 ISM for sure too. No idea abt the others FOR SURE.
Dave M
Genset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:10 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
After more searching in the Cummins Owners Manual for my engine, I found on page V-3, states that the minimum recommended pressure cap is 7psi -- Bill Willard

Tags
radiator