Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2017, 05:52 PM   #15

Makes you think twice about taking rear engine coaches on dirt road tours. At least with a front engine, the dust is behind you. My first coach was a gasser, and the generator was at the rear drivers side. The previous owner had taken a long trip to northern Saskatchewan, which is all dirt roads. The generator had inhaled so much dust, it burned a quart of oil about ever four or five hours. They must have ran the AC the whole time they were driving. I replaced the genny, but thats a long way from a $35k engine.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2017, 07:28 PM   #16

Rebuilt Engines - How Reliable ??

Diesel Pushers only ingest dust if the intake system has been compromised, i.e.: has air leaks or a damaged air filter.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:13 PM   #17

My saga continues, we were headed to Houston area but only made it from North Central California to Kingman, Az. When the engine seized while traveling east on I 40 at 65 mph. Got it to the side of the road and called for a tow truck. We were towed 30 miles back to Kingman, the wife and I have to be in Houston Thursday so we are in our toad headed that way now.

Hopefully il learn in a few days what the failure was this time. Will update when I know what went wrong with Recon number two.

Larry
larry koenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:08 AM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry koenn View Post
My saga continues, we were headed to Houston area but only made it from North Central California to Kingman, Az. When the engine seized while traveling east on I 40 at 65 mph. Got it to the side of the road and called for a tow truck. We were towed 30 miles back to Kingman, the wife and I have to be in Houston Thursday so we are in our toad headed that way now.

Hopefully il learn in a few days what the failure was this time. Will update when I know what went wrong with Recon number two.

Larry
Unfortunate..... I will be following this thread. I have a new appreciation for rebuild quality in a "factory" reconditioned engine.

If it is related to oil pressure again, I would be interested to know if the oil pump/pickup assembly is new with reconditioned engine or if they keep swapping it over.

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:18 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGlenn View Post
Unfortunate..... I will be following this thread. I have a new appreciation for rebuild quality in a "factory" reconditioned engine.

If it is related to oil pressure again, I would be interested to know if the oil pump/pickup assembly is new with reconditioned engine or if they keep swapping it over.

Brian
Brian, just curious as to why your concern with the oil pump pick up? I've rebuilt Lots of engines from 5HP to 2000HP and unless the pick up was cracked or damaged in some way, it went back on. Not really a wear item that needs to be replaced.

I'm sure you must have a reason for your concern.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:49 PM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Brian, just curious as to why your concern with the oil pump pick up? I've rebuilt Lots of engines from 5HP to 2000HP and unless the pick up was cracked or damaged in some way, it went back on. Not really a wear item that needs to be replaced.

I'm sure you must have a reason for your concern.

You are correct with the damage or crack for the pick up. Sometimes it's not readily visible (pin hole) or if it's a worn interference fit/insert tube into the pump suction it can draw air and prevent full suction/flow. I agree not a wear item - but I've been caught before where the pick up looked good to the naked eye but had a suction leak. Just a thought; I am not fully familiar with the M11.

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:41 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-Chi View Post
As the OP, I want to thank everyone for commenting on this thread. Your ideas, opinions, and experiences are appreciated. Again, the decision has been made to go with a complete overhaul of the existing engine rather than a swap out. And yes, they have removed the engine from the coach out the bottom. The work is being done by an independent truck center that is an authorized Cummins service center. The center doing the work is a very large, regional modern facility that has invested in “state of the art” equipment and training. It all sounds and looks professional, and we hope they know what they are doing; wish us luck.
I gotta know, why are they rebuilding your ISM? What went wrong?
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine