Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2016, 09:12 PM   #1

Replacement Intake Hose on 5.9 ISB

I noticed during a routine engine inspection that my intake hose that goes from the air filter canister to the turbo had a piece of the wire inside the hose poking through. I used a mirror to inspect the penetration to see if the hose was torn around the wire. It was not. I had the air filter canister replaced at Freightliner Gaffney last year when they did an M3 service. Possibly this happened when they removed and reinstalled the hose or maybe it was like that and they did not catch it. I'll need to get a closer look to see why this is happening. Access was not real good when I noticed the issue.

I tried to find the intake hose on Cummins quick serve but did not see it listed. Anybody replace one and if so where did you get the hose?
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2016, 09:25 PM   #2

Freightliner, or Newmar , would have mounted the air filter , so the hose would be either a F/L part , or Newmar.

A call to F/L's free help line , with your serial number would be the quickest.
You could also ask about joining " Access Freightliner " and you can get access to look up every part for your self . Takes a while but worth it.

1-800-385-4357
1-800-FTL-HELP
Old 09-13-2016, 09:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Freightliner, or Newmar , would have mounted the air filter , so the hose would be either a F/L part , or Newmar.

A call to F/L's free help line , with your serial number would be the quickest.
You could also ask about joining " Access Freightliner " and you can get access to look up every part for your self . Takes a while but worth it.

1-800-385-4357
1-800-FTL-HELP
Thanks Skip. After I posted I went to Access Freightliner. I joined last year. I have not been logged on for a while so my password has expired so they say. I'll call tomorrow to get access once again. I was a little worried when I saw that spring wire poking through the hose but felt a little better when I did not see any tear around the puncture.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:31 PM   #4

Before I remove and replace this hose if it needs replacing, is there any reason I should not spray a little soapy water on the spot in question to see if it's sucking air?
Old 09-14-2016, 04:31 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Do you really want soapy water getting into the turbo?
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Do you really want soapy water getting into the turbo?
To be honest I thought the same thing. I found a Cummins service document online and this was mentioned as a way of testing intake clamps and connections. Since I plan to fix or replace this section of hose anyway, the test really serves no purpose except making me feel better that it was not compromised.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:28 PM   #7

Update

I got a closer look today at my intake hoses. The hose that has the wire poking through is from the intake air box to the filter canister, not the hose going to the turbo on the clean side of the filter. WAY better. I think the fix for now is snip off the wire that's protruding, put a piece of foil tape over the area for good measure and press on. Something to keep an eye on but don't think it's necessary to replace at this time.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:37 PM   #8

I talked to Freightliner Gaffney parts and that hose is 6" id X 60" and sells for $95.00 plus shipping.

Tags
ace, replace, replacement