RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-22-2018, 11:58 PM   #1

Replacing Fan on 5.9 ISB

Was degreasing radiator and found one of my fan blades has a chunk out of it. 1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor with 5.9 isb.
Rear radiator. Question is does the radiator have to be removed to install new fan. Looks kinda tight in there. From the looks of it the blade has been like that for some time. Darn thing looks like plastic. Maybe someone out there has encountered a similar problem. Thanks in advance. Jim

Montana jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2018, 12:53 AM   #2

I donít know how easy it is to replace the fan on your motor. But one word of advice, I had to replace a plastic fan on my Range Rover. I drove it for a couple of days and the whilst driving up a very steep grade towing my boat one of the blades shattered and ripped through the radiator hose. The result being instant overheating and a ruined motor. So make sure you replace it with a quality fan.
I might add Iíve got a diesel pusher with a 5.9 cumin and I recon I could replace it from the inside hanging in the hatch under the bed.

Bazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:09 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have 5.9 ISB in my '1999 Winnebago Adventurer with one damaged fan blade as well. I'm almost certain the root cause was debris from a tire blowout by former owner. I can't see any way to R&R the blade without pulling the radiator so that is on my task list. I need to clean the radiator and CAC as well. I'll be tackling this project after I install a new Raptor lift pump to to ensure proper fuel pressure to the VP44.

Freightliner lists the replacement for my coach as PART NUMBER: KYS 4735 4336804 DESCRIPTION: FAN, 26”x 9 Blades, 3.25PW ,1.00 PILOT.

Tom
Big_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:21 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
My 2001 Damon Ultrasport had a broken fan when we bought it. We had a Freightliner service center replace it. They went through the bed, and didn't remove the radiator. I didn't watch them do it, but I don't think it is something I would try on my own. If I recall, the total cost was around $500.

-Joel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1775.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	311.7 KB
ID:	213208   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1813.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	270.4 KB
ID:	213209  

ebprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:56 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Spartan Chassis
A/C belt inside out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebprod View Post
My 2001 Damon Ultrasport had a broken fan when we bought it. We had a Freightliner service center replace it. They went through the bed, and didn't remove the radiator. I didn't watch them do it, but I don't think it is something I would try on my own. If I recall, the total cost was around $500.

-Joel
Joel, Compare the before and after photos and look at the v-belt I think runs the A/C compressor. In the after with new fan the notches of the belt are facing up, belt inside out.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Tom View Post
I have 5.9 ISB in my '1999 Winnebago Adventurer with one damaged fan blade as well. I'm almost certain the root cause was debris from a tire blowout by former owner. I can't see any way to R&R the blade without pulling the radiator so that is on my task list. I need to clean the radiator and CAC as well. I'll be tackling this project after I install a new Raptor lift pump to to ensure proper fuel pressure to the VP44.

Freightliner lists the replacement for my coach as PART NUMBER: KYS 4735 4336804 DESCRIPTION: FAN, 26Ēx 9 Blades, 3.25PW ,1.00 PILOT.

Tom
I just replaced my lift pump with a raptor. Also relocated the new pump just upstream from water fuel separator filter located behind rear tire on drivers side. Wanted fuel to be filtered before entering pump. Have pics on previous post under lift pump relocation. Now back to fan. How the heck do you remove the radiator looks like the MH was built around it. Sure wish they made a manual like Chilton that was specific for individual MH. I have always done my own wrench turning on my rigs but I always had a manual to refer to. My situation is there are no shops for miles that work on MHs so it is kinda left up to me. Thanks for all the posts everyone. Jim
Old 07-31-2018, 02:17 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Densher,

Thanks for pointing that out. I have a service appointment next week. I'll have them take a look at it.

-Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENSHER View Post
Joel, Compare the before and after photos and look at the v-belt I think runs the A/C compressor. In the after with new fan the notches of the belt are facing up, belt inside out.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:38 PM   #8

You might consider an aftermarket fan from Source Engineering. Their design doesn't roar as loud and is supposed to use a few less hp. It might be cheaper than OEM.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by moleary View Post
You might consider an aftermarket fan from Source Engineering. Their design doesn't roar as loud and is supposed to use a few less hp. It might be cheaper than OEM.

Beware of my post warning about a aftermarket fan.
Bazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by moleary View Post
If functioning as intended that roaring sound is cool air being pulled thru the heat exchangers , which is a good thing. As less cooling is needed the fan RPMs will go down and the noise will lessen. An aftermarket fan with less pitch or more flexible blades may be quieter but also won't move air as intended.
cfowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:08 AM   #11

I can only speak to my experience. My 2007 coach did not have a fan clutch. The fan was direct drive, so it roared all the time.

I ran the source engineering fan for 35000 miles until I sold my coach with no ill effects.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:12 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Desnher , that sure looks like a Dayco Top Cog belt, to me. Youíre not the first to mention in a post that the belt looks like it was installed incorrectly. Certainly is a fooler!

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 01:47 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I have an appointment in about a week. I'll get a definitive answer on the belt then.

-Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycarz View Post
Desnher , that sure looks like a Dayco Top Cog belt, to me. Youíre not the first to mention in a post that the belt looks like it was installed incorrectly. Certainly is a fooler!
Old 08-06-2018, 11:02 AM   #14

The fan belt is installed correctly. Many have notches on the top.
It's a "V" belt, it cannot be installed upside down (well could be, but no way a mechanic would).
Good luck.

Tags
fan