Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2008, 03:15 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Has anyone had their engine computer reprogrammed to allow the engine brake switch to remain in the "on" position, but keeps the brake from actuating until pressure is put on the brake pedal?

In the event of a panic stop, the last thing I want to do is have to fumble for a switch.

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2008, 03:15 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Has anyone had their engine computer reprogrammed to allow the engine brake switch to remain in the "on" position, but keeps the brake from actuating until pressure is put on the brake pedal?

In the event of a panic stop, the last thing I want to do is have to fumble for a switch.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:18 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Don't know if there is a programming option to do this or not, but there is a device called the Brake Switch that does it.

Brake Switch
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 05:54 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Here is a post by Footdoc from last July, so it does appear that Cummins can reprogram the operation.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">On Cummins engines, they can be reprogrammed for the engine brake..I have mine in 'Latch mode' and it works just as you describe, except mine was free at Cummins...had them do it while repairing a front seal leak...

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 04:40 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I spoke to Cummins a while ago and they said that is is a simple computer adjustment. Apparently it something done quite commonly.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 03:59 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for posting that. I've been wanting to add the Brake Switch, but have held off because for 2007 models Monoaco redesigned the entire section of the front run bay where the appropriate wires are, and there is no electrical diagram available that covers the new design.

However, there is a Cummuns facility in Philadelpha, not too far from me. That may be a better option. I'll check it out.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 07:06 AM   #7

Hello,
I'm not quite sure how the exhaust brake operates once the engine is reprogrammed.
Once this is reprogrammed does the exhaust brake switch stay on all the time but not activate the exhaust brake itself until the brake pedal is pushed? Say you briefly let your foot off the brake pedal. Does the exhaust brake disengage at that point?
If someone could give me a brief explanation of how it operates after the reprogram then I might be interested in having Cummins do this.
Thanks for any info.
Keith
Old 01-26-2008, 07:19 AM   #8
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I'm not sure if an exhaust brake will work the same as an engine brake, which is what Docmark was asking about.

The latching mode means the aux brake will not engage until you tap or apply the service brakes, and will remain engaged if you remove your foot from the brake.

It will release if you apply the throttle, slow down to the automatic release speed, or switch it off.

That is my understanding.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:58 AM   #9

One addition to Dirk's explanation above:

The 'Latch Mode' is controlled by the cruise control switch. It operates just as Dirk has described when the Cruise switch is 'on'.

When the cruise switch is 'off' the engine brake will come on when your foot comes off the accelerator, irregardless of whether the brake is pressed or not.

Note: The Engine brake switch must be 'on' for these modes to work.

As Dirk stated above, I too am not sure if exhaust brakes work the same as engine brakes. My coach has the engine brake, and it works as described (after I had it reprogrammed to the 'Latch' mode). But I am guessing the single stage brakes all work the same.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 12:44 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Don,
I think you are correct. When I installed the BrakeSwitch it was my understanding that the Cummins latching mode worked only with the exhaust brake.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 03:44 PM   #11

I installed the Brake Switch on my MH. I leave the exhaust brake activated at all times. It works as follows: When you press on the brakes, it will activate and will stay on until you press the accelerator. If I am in cruse control, and top a hill and the cruse control releases the throttle (due to coasting downhill), the exhaust brake does not come on. Only comes on when I press on the brake peddle and releases when I press on the accelerator.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:01 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks to all of you!

Old 01-27-2008, 06:27 AM   #13

Robin

You mentioned that there is not a wiring diagram for your model out yet. If you can see the wires that are going to your switch that turns the exhaust brake on and off then this may help. To install the Brake Switch, one set of the wires from the Brake Switch breaks the "hot" wire going to the switch and another set of wires break the wire going to the ECM on the engine. Then you have the ground wire and the wire that goes to the brake light switch. Not that hard of an install. Plus the owner of Brake Switch is very helpful and when you call his number, he is usually the one who answers. He might be able to help you with the wiring also. His number is up at his web location --- www.brakeswitch.com.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:17 PM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Here's the REAL deal on the latch mode, since I had it done almost a year ago...the engine brake will only work with the switch in high or low, just as original...the difference is when the latch mode is programmed, with the brake switch on, you can coast with foot off accelerator and no engine brake will ever come on.....UNLESS you touch the service brakes, then the engine brake "LATCHES" on and will stay on until about 13 mph...UNLESS you touch the accelerator...that turns off the engine brake....This arrangement is far more smooth and efficient than the brake coming on each time you let off the accelerator...try it....you will LOVE it!!
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote