Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2012, 10:19 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Question Rotella T6 Synthetic 5W40 Vs Premium Blue Dino 15W40

I have a 2008 ISM 500. I am able to get shell Rotella T6 Syn for a very limited time at the same price as Valvoline premium blue (blue is the oil I have always used).
SO it comes back to the syn vs dino question and the 5W40 vs the15W 40. In my limited research it seems that there is no advantage to using syn as the change intervals stay the same at 1yr for us low milage drivers. However, I also believe that the syn is a better product and now I can get it for the same price. Why not? Is syn really a better product?? Is the 5W 40 a concern for routine non arctic driving??

Also can the 5W40 be used in the Onan 10KW?

Thanks for any opinions.
jsabatinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2012, 10:16 AM   #2

If you plan on staying with the same 1 year change schedule, and not near the miles driven to matter - stay with the Dino.

If you want to try the 'Test and Extend' group, to give it a try - then great price on Syn.

I'm currently running Dino. I may try a change to Syn at next change point. Then do the analysis (Test) and based upon the results extend. Many members of many boards, whose judgement and opinions I respect, do the 'Test and Extend', most do change the filter, and top off. And this I will do if I do extend the usage the Syn.

I do think Syn will make some improvements on protection and running temperatures, but to what degree is difficult to really know. I doubt it will improve MPG, as too many other factors go into MPG of big rigs. It will not hurt it!

I do see no downside to using the Syn for this change over from any damage. And, if you know your rigs temps and MPG well - you could then get some seat of the pants info to determine if you want to try the Test and Extend Syn gang.

Best of luck, and like all things oil - opinions do vary!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:31 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I would go with the synthetic even though you change yearly. Synthetic has a lower viscosity meaning easier engine starts and the oil get to were it needs to be quicker causing less wear. It also has a higher temperature tolerance than Dino which is better for your turbo to prevent coking.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:28 PM   #4

Waste of money.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:04 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Perry,
As stated in my original post: the cost is identical to dino oil until 4/10/12. then it goes up $10 per gallon. So how is it a waste of money????

The question was is the T6 Syn as good as the premium blue. If it is not then I would go with the Dino.

Thanks
Old 03-27-2012, 08:51 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Check with Cummins about 5w40 but I think you will be ok. Don't know about the generator check on it also. Usually in the docs you can find the oil weight range based on the ambient air temps. How are you able to get the oil so cheap.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:31 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Oil info

Here is my take from the field as it were,

The synthetic is rated at 5/40 so it covers a majority of north American driving conditions. It is also due to the better control they have over the synthetic oils at the time of manufacture. In true artic conditions there are block heaters,oil heaters, battery heaters and I think electric long johns! There is no danger in running it versus std 15/40. Modern oils are the sum of decades of refinery and lubrication science. The Valvoline Blue is an oil that Cummins has put there name behind and helped develope with their standards. All the large OEM engine manufacturers have their own standards - looks at the back of any name brand HD oil. There are also military and other standards. Detroit backs Mobil, while CAT and Navistar use another. Based on the price point alone it's a bargain.

I'm the first to admit that syn oils can be better then dino, but based on just mileage or time the cost outweighs the benefits. IMHO in an rv you are far more likely to burn through the time service interval than the mileage. With that said - sitting and no load running is perhaps more of a detriment to the oil than running a little over on mileage when actively out on the road. Look at long haul trucks- services every 6 weeks for a truck on the move. That's more than most of us put on in a year in a month and a half. I have only met a few truckers that spend the extra coin versus regular oil changes. For them it's a matter of you still have to service the fuel system at normal intervals anyway so why not just do it all and not risk the oil sample coming back several days (and several thousand miles later) with bad news. Then there are the other lube requirements for the chassis as well.

Bottom line is personal choice. An informed decision is the best one. In my experience I have never seen a modern engine lost due to lubrication failure without mitigating circumstances like - lube pump failure, coolant into the crankcase, ect. Modern engine oils are all leaps and bounds beyond the stuff we poured into our cars in high school.

I respectfully relinquish the soapbox now, carry on.

Allen
dieselbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:31 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Sale price at Oreilly Auto Parts.No idea why as the T6 is the latest version wih all the most recent certifications and API
Old 03-28-2012, 12:32 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I believe there have been previous posts that commented about oil leaks after going to synthetic after dino.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:18 AM   #10

The real question is do you want to use synthetic going forward from this point (since I don't see any point in switching back and forth just because on this one occasion there would be no price difference), so the cost-effectiveness question is pertinent. And my view is that unless you plan on subjecting the engine to extreme cold starts then there really isn't much value in the synthetic option... and if you don't plan on switching to synthetic permanently then why mess with it at all?
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:31 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Go for it! I use Rotella T6 synthetic in our Dodge ISB. It's a great oil and if it was affordable, I would certainly use it in the motor home. I purchase mine at Walmart and it is $24 per gallon.

How much oil does your ISM hold?
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:35 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I would use T6 over any other oil.. Love it.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
I would switch and only change when a Lab Report from Oil Analysis calls for it. The synthetic has a lot higher temperature tolerance and that can only help your turbo charger. I now have 5 plus years on my pick-up oil and it still tests good. I rarely put over 2000 miles on it and have been using Mobile One 5W40 and I am very happy with it. I had an 1985 Chrysler with the 2.2 Turbo engine and every time the head gasket was changed I marveled at how clean the engine and Oil system was. All of my prior engines run on Dino were varnished and you could see it when you pulled the valve covers. Other than Head Gaskets every 25,000 miles I never had a problem with the Chrysler. They probably learned they had a problem as the 1986 engine used larger head bolts and I never heard of any more head gasket problems. With this experiance behind me and seeing what synthetic oil would do for a Gas Turbine Engine in Navy Destroyers, I will never use anything else. Good Luck.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:24 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i use t6 in my f150
and premium blue in the m/h, mainly because i time out before mileage.
and the premium blue in the genny so i just have to carry one brand and type on the road
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote