Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2019, 06:24 AM   #1

Running Poor

Motorhome is bucking tack dropping out under load. 2007 Valencia ISB 5.9 -02
Freightliner xc-s chassis fuel filter water separator is remote . Cant seem to find the lift pump did find another filter on the right frame rail above the rear axle.
Is there a lift pump on this modal?
Thanks in advance
Gary
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2019, 08:43 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymoment View Post
Motorhome is bucking tack dropping out under load. 2007 Valencia ISB 5.9 -02
Freightliner xc-s chassis fuel filter water separator is remote . Cant seem to find the lift pump did find another filter on the right frame rail above the rear axle.
Is there a lift pump on this modal?
Thanks in advance
Gary
The lift pump should be located on the passenger side of the engine, above the starter motor. It may be difficult to see from directly under the coach.

Good that you found the notorious hidden filter/screen as that has caused many issues if it becomes clogged. With your ISB, the lift pump should run continuously while the engine is running. If it fails, the main injector pump will continue to draw fuel through it, but that will strain the pump and it will eventually fail and that is an expensive repair.

Have you gotten any codes or Check Engine lights? It does sound like a fuel issue and the lift pump is a good place to start if all filters have already been replaced.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:07 AM   #3

Mine has two fuel filters. One generally has the water separator, and is located on the passenger side of the motor lower down. The second is on top of the motor, {at least on mine}, and is a paper filter inside a canister. The one you said you found, was it an in line one on the frame rail somewhere, or the water separator one. If you haven't changed fuel filters in a long time, I can assure what that can lead to. The vp44 main injector pump is very expensive, and can be ruined due to poor fuel pressure. Check your lift pump for leaks. Mine was leaking, and eventually I guess it ruined the vp44. I spent around $4000 cdn just in parts to replace the two fuel pumps. I did upgrade the liftpump to the Fass pump though. Is the check engine light coming on, or derating the engine.{loss of power}
Old 09-09-2019, 12:13 PM   #4

2007 cummins 5.9 lift pump ?

Thank you for the responses . I am in changing the inline filter now. There is a mechanical fuel pump that looks like it is driven by the flywheel could that be the lift pump? I was in the Cummins site it showed the lift pump attached to the ecm bracket I do not see it. Also my starter is on the drivers side. The fuel filter water separator is a remote on the right rear frame rail.
Gary
Old 09-09-2019, 12:15 PM   #5

I forgot to say there are no codes.
Gary
Old 09-09-2019, 12:19 PM   #6

Sorry, I thought it said yours was an 02, I see it is an 07. It is different than mine. After 02 they changed to the high pressure rail.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:00 AM   #7

Just got back driving the motorhome . I replaced the filter on the frame rail and the filter water separator. same problem. The filter on the frame rail was full of black stuff. I think the problem is agley in the fuel system .Any one seen this before. If so is there anything that could be put in the tank?
Gary
Old 09-10-2019, 12:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymoment View Post
Just got back driving the motorhome . I replaced the filter on the frame rail and the filter water separator. same problem. The filter on the frame rail was full of black stuff. I think the problem is agley in the fuel system .Any one seen this before. If so is there anything that could be put in the tank?
Gary
If the filter on the frame rail was just changed, and algae in the tank is the culprit, I would think you should have noticed a temporary improvement while driving until the filter became clogged again. You could try cutting the filter in half and examine it for algae. If it is present a product such as Biobor can be added to treat your fuel tank. I would add it to a full tank. You will more than likely need to have several filters on hand to replace as algae is being removed from fuel tank. Hope it is nothing too serious to repair.
Dave
Old 09-10-2019, 05:54 PM   #9

Thanks for the response Dave. Going to get some tomorrow. See what happens. I wish I knew how to put a picture on here .The stuff that came out of the frame rail filter was a black mess .
Gary
Old 09-10-2019, 07:25 PM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
You could have a fuel line coming apart from the inside.....
What type of hose is going to the primary filter? Some use Nylon, some are flexible braided hose. The braided hose failure can come from biofuels the eat up the liner of the hose, making this black yuk stuff...

You able to post a pic of the mess?
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:59 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
FWIW we had bacteria/fungi growing in tank of 02 ISB 5.9 and it would reduce engine power in 500 - 800 miles after new filters. We had paper element type filter so could see the amount of algae. Got in cleared up with Biobor JF and Startron, but it took about 2000 miles to do it. Had to pull off road and change filter a couple times. Carried jugs of Howes Diesel Treat just to prefill filter housing. Since we are always in warm/humid climates keep tank full and now treat fuel with Biobor JF when ever parked for two weeks or longer. If you do a search here, will find lots of good info.
Just remember, prevention is easier then curing.

Note: First shop we took it to replaced the lift pump, which didn't fix the problem.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:16 AM   #12

The line coming from the tank to the filter is copper. From there to the mech pump that is driven by the flywheel is also copper. From there it is cloth covered fuel line to the large fuel filter water separator. Then to the injector pump.It did seem a little better after I replaced both filters but not good enough to much more than around the block. I do not see a eclectic lift pump.
Thank you for looking
Gary
Old 09-12-2019, 07:22 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
The electric lift pump on our 2002 Freightliner w/ISB 5.9 was on PS of engine block below the intake manifold. Follow fuel line from injector pump to lift pump.
Pump is between fuel tank and injector pump.
However with that said, the chassis or truck manufacture could have mounted it anywhere between the tank and injector pump.
Have heard of this in rare circumstances.

I would diffidently recommend that you confirm that the fuel system is clean prior to letting a shop replace your lift pump. Which is what they usually want to do right off as the older OEM pumps have a poor reputation and they want to get you in out quick. Then when you come back shortly with same problem, its "well that was the best fix at the time"
They don't want to mess with dropping tank or fuel polishing.

As I said in our case I changed filters several times in a span of 2000 miles before no more engine RPM hesitation.
Good Luck

Good Luck
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 04:15 PM   #14

Curious if you have a steel fuel tank

Large amounts of bio activity are very rare in fuel unless something out of the ordinary has occurred.
Fuel lines deteriorating as already noted are suspect.
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote