Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2019, 10:10 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Question RV diesel engine failure at 56K

My 2006 ISB 5.9 CR failed at 56K miles. A part of the valve train broke, got caught under a rocker arm and that caused a valve to strike a piston. Engine change!

What follows is general ramblings to start a thread about cause, effect and prevention.

A front office person at the Peterbilt garage doing the work happened to be on the phone with a Cummins rep and asked about the early failure when the class 5 trucks with this engine rarely have this type of problem. The response was that the long storage times of RVs are hard on the engines. Hmmm...

In my case the tech believes that an injector was the original culprit. He believed that the injector was pouring too much fuel and the heat was transmitted into the head causing the valve train to fail.

I have also read that running the engine at idle does not get the engine to operating temperature.

I plan to ensure that the fuel tanks are always full when I put it up in the garage and I plan on getting it out on the road at least once a month.

Can the long storage allow the oil in the head to dissipate and cause excess friction on start up?

And finally would an EGT gauge detected the problem before I ended up on the side of the road. Cummins does not use EGT on their medium duty engines.

John.
jpsageusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2019, 10:48 AM   #2

As a 25 year service/repair owner for both gas and diesel vehicles, auto tech. instructor for 14 years, 20 years building and racing engines and 22 years of Cummins diesel ownership I don't believe the information your received. Valve train failure usually caused by broken valve springs, adjustment issues, faulty parts and lack of oil. I don't think EGT, over fueling and storage time caused your valve train problem. What were the parts that were damaged? How did the rest of the valve train look?
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:14 PM   #3

Cummins valve train failure.

I WILL JUST SAY THIS The cummins guy....doing phone fixes...is bull. And if it is happening Cummins should step up to the plate and fix it. To many generators..fire trucks and other heavy equipment is parked in the winter months...and the valve train does not fall apart? I will speculate some type of parts failure occurred....which I am breaking my own rules. Unless a failure analysis was done...it is just a way to pass this own to the customer.
alpenlite29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
As a 25 year service/repair owner for both gas and diesel vehicles, auto tech. instructor for 14 years, 20 years building and racing engines and 22 years of Cummins diesel ownership I don't believe the information your received. Valve train failure usually caused by broken valve springs, adjustment issues, faulty parts and lack of oil. I don't think EGT, over fueling and storage time caused your valve train problem. What were the parts that were damaged? How did the rest of the valve train look?

Good question. I didn't get to see the underside of the head. But the tech said it was a non-valve train part that ended up under the lifter. I will try and get a picture of it tomorrow. I did get to look at the block and you can see the valve impression on the piston.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpenlite29 View Post
I WILL JUST SAY THIS The cummins guy....doing phone fixes...is bull. And if it is happening Cummins should step up to the plate and fix it. To many generators..fire trucks and other heavy equipment is parked in the winter months...and the valve train does not fall apart? I will speculate some type of parts failure occurred....which I am breaking my own rules. Unless a failure analysis was done...it is just a way to pass this own to the customer.

We have Good Sam "extended warranty" and they are picking up a large portion of the tab. The engine is many years out of Cummins responsibility. But the garage (a Peterbilt facility) did suggest that I go to Cummins and see if they would pick up some of the remaining cost. Good Sam would only cover a Rivia replacement engine and I am paying the difference for a Cummins reman.

I am retired and can spend five weeks in a motel but can you imagine someone who has to face this kind of downtime.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:44 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well, at least it's not an ISX valve failure.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:03 AM   #7

Cummins engines are designed to run roughly 500,000 miles. My experience has been if a piston and valve collide, The engine has over reved...or the piston/valve timming sequence has failed. OR a Cummins part failure in the valve train, broken part. Just experience talking as I can't see your engine. When going off of hills or people down shifting into a lower gear, may cause a lower rpm diesel engine to NOT be very FORGIVING!...I think the word is #KAAAPOWWW! The worst answer you will ever get from anyone when asking about something warranty is "NO".... Ask Cummins for a Product or manufacturers failure adjustment. Good Luck
alpenlite29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:09 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When my ISX failed for the second time Cummins did pay $10,400 of the over $33,000 bill. Doesn't hurt to ask.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:25 AM   #9

Starting a cold diesel engine is where the most wear and tear comes from. Back in the less than 50 cent diesel days we let the tractors and trucks idle all day long in cold weather to avoid cold starts and to have a nice warm cab

I looked at a couple rigs that had set on a dealers lot for months. First think the salesman said was we come out and start the engine and generator up every week for 15 minutes

Didn't say anything to him but they were keeping the batteries up but not getting anything warm enough to do any good and putting a lot of wear and tear on both

This was through the winter months so they were many cold starts

The engines should be able to handle many cold starts, it just wears on them faster so I think it is best to not start them unless you are going to load and high idle to truly get them warmed up to operating temperature

As far as your failure I agree with the other posters completely
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:22 PM   #10

I agree with Tom Chelbana,

Todays Cummins diesel engines(within the last 10 years at least) have a delayed ignition (not correct term) it will not open the fuel solenoid until oil pressure is detected after the starter in engaged. This is to reduce the cold startup effects.
FWIW, our MH had sat parked in a barn ignored for 6 years due to owner being too ill to travel. We haven't had any negative effects of that "long-term" storage.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine