RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-01-2018, 05:58 AM   #15

Where is the best (and easiest way) to take a sample of the coolant to be tested?

DSDP-Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2018, 06:10 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The radiator usually has a small petcock at the bottom. Twist open to drain a small sample and then turn it to reseal the petcock.

Old 01-07-2018, 06:37 PM   #17

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycarz View Post
I remember when OAT coolant first came out, along with its issues. So, I have been using non OAT Fleetguard ES Compleat EG, which is an extended life coolant.

I do a drain and fill, not flush, every two years. With my last coach, at 90,000 milesI had to repair the CAC, which meant the radiator had to come out too. The following two photos are of the radiator and upper coolant pipe.

Attachment 187315

Attachment 187316

With seeing such spectacular results with my 99 Dynasty's cooling system, I switched the coolant in my new 08 Camelot after a year, when having to replace the cracked plastic surge tank, using an aluminum tank. I flushed the cooling system of the factory fill and installed Fleetguard ES Compleat EG. And every two years I do a drain and fill. Overkill, yes. Do I have coolant issues? No. And, with this coolant I do have to test SCA's

Two months ago, at 70,000 miles, I replaced all my cooling system hoses and the below photo is the upper coolant pipe. This radiator doesnít allow me to take a picture of the core. So only one this time.

Attachment 187317

There are more than one way to maintain your cooling system. This is what works for me.
Harry, I assume the Fleetguard ES comes pre-charged with SCA, like the antifreeze I'm currently using.
With your 2 year replacement schedule, do you ever have to add bottled SCA?
Old 01-07-2018, 07:58 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
SCA additive/testing

My question also .. I would think two years and it would still test ok or just be ready for a sca boost.
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:52 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
I send in sample every, or at least try to. At 2 years, coolant is still pristine. And yes, it does come pre charged. I do keep a bottle of SCA additive on board for emergencies, that I hope I donít have one.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:39 PM   #20

Quick related question. How do you pull a sample of the coolant for a side radiator (ISL8.9)? I'd like to get a sample tested, but the instructions say to stick a tube down the radiator to get the sample and not take from the coolant overflow tank. I cannot get to the top of my radiator. Second choice is to open the radiator drain valve and drain a 1/2 gallon before taking the sample ... that might be a choice unless there is a simpler way?
Milehghcty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:53 PM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
I have used the rad drain to collect my samples. I run about 1/2 cup into a clean glass jar with lid.
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:34 PM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just for reference here's a picture of a liner after having no or not enough SCA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	liner.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	188396  
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 12:43 PM   #23

I have also been going through the coach and one of my issues is the coolant. When I took it to a freightliner shop in Tucson they put the wrong coolant in. I since have changed my plastic recovery tank to a metal one and am getting ready to do a flush and fill. Freightliner says not to use the extended life coolant because of a sensor on the recovery tank will fail. Cummins says it is ok. I had already bought the coolant filter without the sca additive and am now concerned using the extended life coolant. So now it looks like i will go with the type that you have to use additive. Confusing. I want to get the concentrate not the 50/50. My engine is the 8.9 ISL 400 HP. Where do you buy the fleet guard products?
Old 02-12-2018, 11:50 PM   #24

Check your heavy duty truck dealers parts dept. among others. Your cummins shop?
gchapell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:14 PM   #25

I am torn between changing my coolant to the newest type or just changing out the older green stuff every few years. After seeing the latest posts, I wonder if its easier to change out the old green and get some test strips?

My engine is a 8.3 cummins ISC
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 05:12 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
I am torn between changing my coolant to the newest type or just changing out the older green stuff every few years. After seeing the latest posts, I wonder if its easier to change out the old green and get some test strips?

My engine is a 8.3 cummins ISC
I wondered the same for year's........flush good, blank coolant filter, Final Charge back in.....done. No more testing, and I believe with the new technology, the final charge is better coolant.
I did the same to my Generator........
Old 02-15-2018, 07:45 AM   #27

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I just found his out a couple of months ago. I was testing my coolant with the strips, when a friend of mine, retired trucker, said take it to your local Cummins shop or truck repair.

I took a sample and drove over to the Cummins shop. They charged me $2.00 to test it.

I'm a big fan of OAT coolant (Organic Acid Technology) which doesn't have to be tested. In my previous coach, I changed over to Oat coolant at the 5 year mark. After that, I thought I was done with testing since most manufacturers went to OAT. Well....apparently, Freightliner found issue with the OAT coolants and went back to the old style with SCA's. Dang....back to testing.

Well guess what Don they went back to OAT coolants. This is on my 2018 ISL 9 380 hp.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2054.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	192406

HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:33 AM   #28
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I've got 8 years and about 70,000 miles on Peak Final Charge OAT coolant. Just this month I changed it out again and have not had any issues so far. It's definitely less fiddly without having to worry about SCAs.

Tags
test