Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2016, 09:47 AM   #1

SCA test help

I need some help on interpreting the SCA test I just did. I removed the water filter and used it for my sample as I'm afraid of breaking the petcock on the radiator just before a long trip! The coolant color is green.

This pic was taken at 75 seconds. What I don't understand is that the middle strip isn't a color represented on the chart. The nitrite level appears to be the last column I just don't know how to figure out the molybdate level. I have several DCA4 pints but I'm confused as to whether I can/should add it. It appears that the middle column doesn't change for DCA2!!! HELP!

I plan on switching over to OAT soon but just didn't have time before the trip to Perry, GA for the FMCA event this week.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm still learning about the care and feeding of my C8.3 Cummins engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coolant SCA test.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	121329  
MSGulfCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2016, 10:17 AM   #2

I am no expert so I'll give you my take

The top row shows the coolant is good for about 30 degrees below zero by reading the top pad

The middle pad reads low for moly

And the nitrate is high

Keep in mind that the test strips have dates on them so I never use test strips older than a year or so

Also I always get coolant samples from the header tank u can use a Baster or small hose to get it out

My thought is using the filter may give a false reading do to the pre charge in some filters

I would resample from the tank no reason to disturb the radiator
chrisancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 01:13 PM   #3

That's a valid point about getting the sample from the removed filter. It is about a year old so I'm not sure there was anything left in it anyway but you are right. For some reason it says don't take the sample from the reserve tank though. The test strips say they are valid through next month.

I'm about to top up with some Fleet Charge which is pink and hope it's ok to mix with the green stuff already in the system? It's SCA pre-charged so I'm thinking color really doesn't matter.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:51 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I changed my coolant filter annually and I tested my coolant for +6 years and never noticed any change so I finally broke down and got a sample kit from JG Lubrication and sent it in. Got the results in 4 days and the coolant tested good. The sample test provides more information and is accurate.

I was also contemplating changing my coolant but after the test decided I didn't need to.

Unfortunately I had road debris hit my radiator and had to replace it, Cummins replaced the coolant with the ES Compleat, blue in color, an Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 07:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSGulfCoast View Post
I'm about to top up with some Fleet Charge which is pink and hope it's ok to mix with the green stuff already in the system?
I wouldn't mix them. Everything will look fine for a while, but it will start to make a sludge. Then it gets real expensive.......
Old 03-13-2016, 11:43 PM   #6
Community Moderator

in 2014, i did the test. i still have the report card in my folder. by looking at the card you can easily identify where the lines are crossing at and know whether it's good or not.
(i have since changed my coolant into final charge OAT, no more need to do it).

CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:14 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies. The Peak specs for their Fleet Charge product specifically states it is compatible with all types of coolant which meet one of several specs listed. I assume the green stuff in there meets at least one of those specs.

CountryFit - that's exactly what I plan to do also but I've got to make one more trip before I can make the switch. Unfortunately my test wasn't nearly as clear cut as as yours it appears.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:10 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. The Peak specs for their Fleet Charge product specifically states it is compatible with all types of coolant which meet one of several specs listed. I assume the green stuff in there meets at least one of those specs.

CountryFit - that's exactly what I plan to do also but I've got to make one more trip before I can make the switch. Unfortunately my test wasn't nearly as clear cut as as yours it appears.
The green color most likely indicates it is Fleetguard Fleetcool (RECYCLED) See the following link and scroll down to post #8 coolant type - MG-Rover.org Forums The government pushes big companies to use recycled A/F. Normal (NEW) Fleetguard Fleetcool is pink which causes the confusion. Peak Fleet Charge is pink and is the same formula as Fleetcool whether its new or recycled. They are 100% compatible with each other.
FixerCQI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:07 AM   #9

Quote:

There is a Cummins bulletin out there written by Spike that states there is no compatibility issue with any brand or type antifreeze.

https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/pd..._TB03-05-2.pdf
Old 03-18-2016, 08:43 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here's the link to Fleetguards coolant compatibility chart:
https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/pd...es/LT36262.pdf
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:33 PM   #11

Another link that explains color, formulations, and usage:
What are the Different Types of Antifreeze and Can I Mix Them?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 12:25 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Thanks DAJO for giving us the link to the Fleetguard bulletin. It pretty much states coolant of both types can be mixed with no detrimental results to cooling system performance or reliability. I'm glad to have read that.

I went to Freightliner a week ago and asked them what they used in the shop for Cummins refills, they said that the techs are given Alliance fully formulated SCA coolant, so that's what I bought. I did use distilled water too, I'm not sure it REALLY matters but I used it anyways.

Fwiw, I got about 6 gallons from the radiator petcock, and another 1 1/2 gallons when I used a pressure tester to force some more out, so about 7 1/2 total. My coach doesn't have an aquahot. I got no additional coolant from the petcock on the heater line to the front.

My 8k genny had blue colored coolant in it, so after draining I refilled with water and ran until hot then drained again. Refilled with same coolant as put in engine, not quite a gallon.

https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/si..._TB03-05-2.pdf
Agaveguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
test