Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2013, 10:14 AM   #1

Snow Performance MPG Max

Does anyone have experience with a Snow Performance MPG Max to boost MPG on a Cummins engine?
Bill1446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
$1000 is going to take an awful long payback for as little MPG increase it seems to add. In addition, most users I've read about report using 7 or more gallons of water methanol per 30 gallons of diesel. Even using winter windshield washer fluid, that's about $2 per gallon, or ~$14 worth of fluid per 30 gallons of diesel. In addition, seems like the added cylinder pressures require stronger head bolts to prevent head gasket loss. Economically it doesn't seem worth the risk to the life of the engine. Here's a post from a Cummins gearhead thread that has a lot of info on the installation: Snow Performance MPG-MAX - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:40 PM   #3

AK Bill We have an 04 Essex with a 500HP ISM Cummins and I just installed a Snow Injection system. Running 50/50 with methanol and water I picked up about 3mph on a 6% grade with the .625 jets in both hoses. Only have a 5 gallon tank and am using about 4 minutes per gallon. A lot of work and at this time I couldn't recommend system. We are up here at Lake Tahoe and have been traveling a lot at 7 and 8 thousand feet and if you travel a lot in mountains I think you might find it worth while. Bought a 55 gallon drum of methanol which comes to about 5$ a gallon so with the mix about 2.50$ per gallon. Need to have system longer to give full report. I am adding a 7 gallon tank for a total of 12 gallons which should work out to about 40 plus minutes a full pedal. With tow we are at 50K pounds and going up most 6% grades at 50mph. Tom 04 Essex
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:52 PM   #4

Tom,
thanks for your feedback, I would be interested to hear if you have experienced improved mpg.

Bill
Old 09-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #5

AK Bill I can report right now that I don't see how there could be any fuel economy improvement. With system and tune I installed it uses about a gallon of methanol/water every 3 to 4 miles. You would need a very large tank to use the Snow system when traveling all the time. I am using system only on long grades at 6% grades. The system is only wired to run at full throttle. I contacted Snow and they said they now have a 35 gallon tank but I know this wouldn't be something I would be interested in because of all the extra space,weight, and all other problems. I will report back in about 10 days on our return trip to give you another summary of what I have found using the Snow system. Tom
Old 09-13-2013, 05:03 PM   #6

AK Bill We are back on the road again so I can report how the Snow methanol system is working. We are driving in the 6 to 8 K elevation with a lot of 6% plus grades and with 2 .625 jets there is a noticeable increase in power which I would say is 3 to 5 mph increase in speed on these 6% plus grades. I put the Snow methanol system on for more power at high elevation and 6% grades and it has done that. The problem I see is to get this performance it is using a 50/50 mix at a rate of 1 gallon every 2 to 3 minutes. I have a 5 gallon container and will be adding another 7 gallon container for a total of 12. That should give me 30 to 35 minutes or 35 miles per fill up when used a full pedal. I don't see how the system could work for fuel economy because of the large amount of water and methanol usage. If you are looking for 50 more horses and you are willing to spend over 1.000$ plus a lot of work to install not counting the mix you need to do then it's a go. Again we have a 500HP ISM Cummins at 50K pounds in a 04 Essex. Tom
Old 09-18-2013, 03:05 PM   #7

Tom,
Thanks for the feedback on the HP boost.
Bill